View Full Version : NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2007

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Jonathan Poritsky
May 8th, 2007, 10:38 AM
So I'm trying to consolidate a ton of media on multiple drives within (and without) many different FCP docs. To make my life easier, is there any way to print search results on mac. Rather than ift through the hundres of them on screen I'd like somthing a little more tactile. Thanks a ton in advance.

Joe Lawry
May 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM
So as an Avid editor for the past while most of the major projects that have had to go back to tape have been assemble edited with Avid..

The only stuff i've really done in FCP has gone to web or dvd.. until now. I can get the Print to video function to work, and can layback to DVCAM nice and easily. However this is not TC accurate by the looks of things.

(FYI im running a quad 3GHz with 4 gbs of ram and a Aja Kona LHe card going yuv and rs232 to the deck through the breakout box, FCP 5.1.4)

Now, i've stuck my tape in the DSR 80p, preset TC, and put a couple mins of bars on it. I've then used FCP to add the bars/tone, slug and slate with a minute of duration. (TC preset is 00590000) My fcp sequence starts at 01:00:00:00 so video should in theory start on the hour per the norm.

Now this is where the trouble begins. I drag my sequence to the Edit to tape Window, drop it in the assemble edit part.. the tape prerolls.. and then FCP starts playing teh barrs/slate etc and then my video starts after this.. problem is.. the deck never starts recording.

So im kind of at a loss, however what i have noticed is that just before it starts the deck flashes 'not editable' on the deck display.. even though the edit mode display is on. Im guessing this is the problem, and i've spoken to a tech who said its usually to do with tape stock and that sony mini dv tapes dont work. Well im using the Sony mini DVCAM tapes.. and he said those are fine..he thinks..

So im guessing as long as i've done everything else correct in FCP then maybe its something to do with the deck.. or maybe not.

Cheers.

Joe

Edit: oh and also none of this footage is HDV, its all uncompressed 10bit that has come in via the kona card. The timeline is also uncompressed 10bit. - This is the same as what i use when i can get the machine to print to video.

Katie Mims
May 9th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Hi all,

I'm working on a project that currently mixes regular DV 60i footage with 24A HDV footage that I shot on a Sony HVR-V1U, as well as still graphics and LiveType titles.

Any and all responses will be VERY appreciated! This project needs to be delivered on Friday morning.

I followed this method to capture the footage: http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/articles/camcorders/FCP_24P_HVRV1U.htm

Here are the steps:

1. Capture and edit in native HDV 1080i60.

2. Once you’re done with the final render, select all on the timeline, then copy it.

3. Create a new sequence/timeline and set the QuickTime Video Settings, in the sequence settings, to Photo – JPEG and set the quality to 75%. Keep the frame rate/Editing Timebase to 29.97 fps/60i.

4. Paste the project into the new sequence, render, then go to File, Export, QuickTime Movie, but do NOT use QuickTime Conversion.

5. Once the movie is created, right-click on clip and select Cinema Tools. Go to Reverse Telecine and a window will pop up.

6. In Cinema Tools, you will need to find the “A” frame before you can begin. To find it, find the first frame of Interlacing, which looks like a “horizontal comb tooth” effect, if you will. Make sure this isn’t the very first frame of video; go in a second or two. Once you find it, go back two frames, and that’s the A frame.

7. Set Cinema Tools as follows: Capture Mode should be set to F1 – F2, Fields should be set to AA and Style 1, Conform to 23.98. Then click Okay. It will create a new movie that has removed the pulldown.

8. Import this clip into FCP and create another new sequence/timeline. Set the QT Video Settings to match the previous Photo – JPEG settings, quality at 75%. Change the frame rate/Editing Timebase to 23.98 fps. Put the clip in, render, then export.

My questions are:
1) How do I handle mixing frame rates on the timeline? Do I need to delete the DV footage from the timeline that I'm going to make a QT file out of and reverse telecine, then add them back in on the new timeline afterwards? What about animated LiveType clips?

2) When I create the QT file, do I make it self-contained?

3) When I find the A frame in CinemaTools, does it need to be the A frame in the first clip? Will it effect things if many of the clips are very short and fast (5 seconds)?

4) Just to make sure, I only need to export the timeline as a QT and reverse telecine, not the individual clips, right?

5) What is the best method for exporting this at the highest quality without the capability of using BlueRay HD DVD's?

Thank you so much! Any and all responses will be VERY appreciated. I have this project totally finished except for the CinemaTools steps, and the project needs to be delivered on Friday morning.

Katie

Mark Joseph
May 12th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Is there a way to extract the raw MPEG2 from FCP HDV 1080i captured clips?

The PS3 plays native M2T mpeg2 files from HDV cams with no problems, but won't recognise files captured with the FCP "HDV 1080i" preset.

Although I could import M2T using DVHSCap, I'd prefer time-code options, thus I use FCP.

I could export via compressor - but I want to avoid re-encoding if possible. Isn't "FCP HDV1080i" just a wrapped up MPEG2 stream?

I was hoping MpegStreamClip could just demux or convert them for PS3 playback - but the options are all greyed out.

Chris Westerstrom
May 15th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Aloha!

Is there anything you can do once the drop frame warning comes up or is that frame lost forever?

thanks

David Garvin
May 16th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I don't know what the deal is here. I was testing JES Deinterlacer as an alternate to Cinema Tools for doing reverse telecine on film telecined to DV tapes. Not only does JES figure out the cadence on its own, but the image actually looked better in some cases.

Unfortunately, instead of outputting 720x480, it was giving me 655x480 with square pixels. I can take these into Quicktime Pro and fix each clip, but it's one more step that I don't think I should need to take and my guess is that there's a better way than that.

I read through the manuals, went into Preferences and tried all combinations of settings for “use input clip” under aspect ratio and all that, but no matter what I try, I end up with a 655x480 clip with square pixels.

Anybody have a solution for me? Does anybody use JES to reverse telecine DV footage successfully?

Thanks

Amos Kim
May 17th, 2007, 01:16 PM
anyone have experience editing hdv on imac intel 1.83 ghz using final cut studio 1? How's the performance? I know i'll need a more powerful solution for uncompressed but in the meantime this maybe my best bet. thanks

Pete Cofrancesco
May 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I forgot if I asked this question here before.

When click on an MPEG2 file in the finder in any other view besides Icon the finder crashes. I'm running 10.3.9 with the latest updates on Dual 1.8ghz G5 PowerMac.

Is this a know problem associated with the OS or my hardware? Would an upgrade to 10.4 fix it? Has anyone else experienced it? I've suffered with this for long time and have just put up with it but would love to get rid of it if possible.

Oliver Ojeil
May 18th, 2007, 05:08 AM
I intend to color correct a project am cutting on FCP in combustion. I am exporting as a quick time reference so that I don't loose any quality or stack up multi generation compression. However, I am not sure what is the best way to export from combustion back into FCP in order to maintain 1:1 quality.
Original footage is 720p 25 DVCPRO HD shot on the Varicam.

Thanks!

Shaughan Flynn
May 22nd, 2007, 04:06 PM
When you create subclips and have FCP create discreet media files from the subclips, will it maintain the original timecode offsets or does it re-set the TC to 00:00:00;00 at the start of each clip?

Now it is also claimed that defining subclips will improve performance when dealing with a large media file regardless of whether you create the separate media files or not. Is this indeed the case?

TIA!

Brandon Potthoff
May 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM
I have a G5 with 3.5 of RAM and am experiencing some problems when editing 2 angles as I am doing the multi clip and it is playing back in the canvas it is not very clear/ I can still edit but it would really be nice to see what it is really going to look like.
Now on my 17 inch mac book pro no issue at all looks and works great.
Brandon
I would apperciate any advice on how I can take care of this issue

Oliver Ojeil
May 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
I captured footage shot on the varicam with FCP 5.1.4 via the kona3 card under DVCPRO HD 60p compression/codec. The captured footage's resolution is 960x720, so in my timeline I either have to specify the HD 960x720 aspect ratio or keep it square but enable my 16:9 timeline option to get my footage to display right. I have been having lot of problems exporting from FCP to do post work in AE and combustion. The frame just doesn't export right and if it does, it looks very low-res in AE.
The music video's final master will be on digibeta, so I will be down-converting to SD.
I am running close to the delivery deadline, any help is greatly appreciated guys!

Thanks!

Jules Ruez
May 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM
Has anyone tried pulling down 24p with FCS2? Does it work or is the same work around necessary?

Listed under tech specs:
"Pulldown tools for telecine insertion and removal"
"Native long GOP MPEG-2 editing for HDV, including 1080i 50/60, 1080p 24/25/30, 720p 24/25/30"

Poppe Johansson
May 24th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I'm using Sony's KDL-W2000 Full HD television to monitor Final Cut Pro thru DVI > HDMI connection. If I use 720p-mode (TV/Mac), FCP's Digital Cinema Desktop Preview looks quite good, but if Sony (and Mac) is set to 1080p, DCD Preview looks much worse. In both situations I'm editing 1080i50 HDV material. I have a dual G5/2.5 with ATI Radeon 9600 XT card.
It seems that the Preview mode in 720p looks de-interlaced (or otherwise smoother) but with 1080p the interlaced scan lines are very visible. What could be the reason for difference in quality between 1080p and 720p when viewing thru Digital Cinema Desktop full screen mode?

Martin Labelle
May 24th, 2007, 05:30 PM
hello
My camera sony hvr-a1u is connected to FCP and I can control it(from log and capture) but There is no image in the viewer window.
thank you

Ronald Wilk
May 24th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Hi:

I have just begun to experience a problem with SoundTrackPro's effects after sending a Final Cut multi-track project to the program. At first, all of the effects are visible and available on the left hand side of the window and work just fine but, after a period of time, they just disappear. That is, the main categories are visible but their contents are not! The only way that I have been able to make them available once again is to shut down the program and restart.

The entire program is loaded to the primary drive on a Mac G5 dual 2.7Ghz machine with 2gigs of Ram and plenty of remaining space on the HD. A 3TB Fiber Channel RAID is defined as the scratch disk ... any suggestions???

Final Cut Studio 2 has just arrived and loading it may resolve this issue but I am in the middle of a project and would prefer not to do so until it is complete.
Ron

Zsolt Gordos
May 26th, 2007, 02:43 AM
Hi guys,

when printing my media to tape, the conforming process seems fine, I click OK at the end and the printing starts (little red dot appears on the LCD viewfinder, movie runs, etc)
Once finished - and everything looked fine - I rewind the tape and after a while video and sound disappears, blue screen only...
I FF and later parts are back again, then another blue screen coming.
FCP never reported any error during the printing process, the video was visible on the LCD all the time.

The movie was fully rendered out, grey lines only. I tried to use different Firewire connector on my Mac and also replaced the FW cable - same result, problem areas changed though - in the 2nd trial different parts were missing (so it is not clip related).

Has anyone experienced the same? Any workaround?

Its a Sony V1E, FCP 5.1.4 and a G5 dual 2Ghz ( I just installed FCP6 today, have not tried print to tape with it yet)

Thanks a lot.

Ken Castellano
May 27th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Hi,

I have a project that will be screened using a mid to high end projector (6000+ Lumens, native res. 1024x768).

I'm wondering what would be the best way to master for this kind of presentation.
-24P DVD
-Print to Tape
-QT Movie (Uncompressed)

The footage was shot in 24P and edited 23.98 in FCP. The footage is SD.

I would appreciate any advice or tips.

Thank you.

Ken

Jerry Matese
May 30th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Please beware! Existing Motion 2 files with any level of reasonable complexity work EXTREMELY SLOW or not at all in Motion3. A discussion with an Apple tech concluded that Motion3 handles movement and particle generation very differently and does not work well with old files.

Apple recommendation: render existing files in Motion2 for use as .mov clips in new FCP projects and rebuild composites from scratch in Motion3 for sequences that will need changes and frequent re-rendering.

NOT A GOOD THING!

Rafael Diaz
June 4th, 2007, 02:45 AM
delete please

Michael Althaus
June 5th, 2007, 03:53 AM
Hello
One of our costumers isn't able to record his on final cut pro edited video (8bit pal) on a Sony UVW-1800P BetaCam SP recorder (MAZ). We set the multibridge to Analog Component Out and also choose the option "black burst ref signal" on analog out. The UVW-1800P says, no ref signal detected and we get an error message on final cut pro saying: "Alarm ref. Video is not deteted". What could the probelem be?

Kind Regards,

Michael Althaus

PS: They just connected the component cables and the analog audio cables from the BetaCam SP recorder to the multibridge pro, that is it, right?

Brian Critchlow
June 6th, 2007, 09:42 PM
I just submitted 4 ProRes sequences from Final Cut to Compressor for an SD DVD. I went through and dragged in the settings and destinations for each. I then submitted all of the jobs and opened the batch monitor. Now all of the jobs are sitting there and say 'Waiting' with no time elapsed and no estimated time remaining.

Why arent these batches running?

T.D. Jones
June 7th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Hi--

I've got some 16:9, 24p (2:3) footage from an XL2 to to capture into FCP 5.1. Can anyone give me the correct presets (setups)--capture and sequence-- to bring this stuff in and edit it properly? The output is expected to be DVD.

TIA,

--Tim

Eric Hansen
June 7th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone else out there has noticed this. When I'm exporting out of final cut and I monitor the CPU usage in activity monitor it says that I'm only using about 40% of the CPU power and 60% is idle, same thing with compressor and the batch monitor. Is there a way to fix this? I'm running on a MacPro 2.66 2gigs ram system...

Eric

William Hohauser
June 7th, 2007, 03:25 PM
It's time to upgrade my Canopus ADVC100. Works great still but I am wanting component in and out plus balanced audio. Plus a rackmount would be nice.

The two boxes I have on the burner are: The Canopus ADVC700 and the Miranda DV Bridge Pro. Both have mostly identical feature sets with Canopus plugging their analog signal processing and the Miranda it's ability to convert 16:9 to letterbox on the fly.

Does anyone who has used these units have an opinion? Are there other A/D convertors within the $1500 to $2000 price range that have similar features?

Elmer Lang
June 7th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I tried Media managing a couple projects and both have music and there is problems with both. The music seems off slightly by a couple frames and some clips are clips with the last syllable cut off.

Are there some tricks to this process that I don't know about or is it inherently flawed as it appears?

best,
elmer

Josh Dahlberg
June 8th, 2007, 01:02 AM
Hi all,

I'm running FCS2 on a 24" Imac. It has the faster graphics card and 2gb of ram. Still looking for a little performance boost in motion and while applying effects in FCP.

Do you think taking the computer up to its 3gb maximum will make a noticeable difference?

Thanks.

Dick Walton
June 9th, 2007, 08:21 AM
I'm using the HV20 to captire HDV footage shot on an XL-H1. After capturing, I edit each clip (cuts only) in QTPro7. Once clips are cut, a simple "Save" in QT will result in the file size remaining the same - it is the original catured clip (even if most of it has been cut out in the edit and no longer shows when played). Obviously the entire original clip is still on the hard drive. If I do a "Save As" with the edited clip, QT "flattens" the clip and creates a new clip.mov. This clip.mov then reflects the reduced size of the edited clip.

My concern is whether or not "Flattening" the clip will affect it's quality/resolution/properties in a way that will limit its use in projects later on. When I look at each clips "Properties" in FCP the only difference seems to be that the original clip has a data rate of 3.4 MB/sec while the "Flattened" movie has a data rate of 3.2 MB/sec.

Basically I'm tring to set up a workflow for keeping the HDV clips on a hard drive for use in future projects. To save disk space I want to keep clip size to a minimum (by cutting unwanted footage).

So . . .am I loosing anything by editing in QT and then "Saving As" and flattening?

Thanks.

Dwight Flynn
June 9th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I have some 1920x1080 footage in mov, which I believe was edited on FCP and is in DVCPro HD. Note I don't have a MAC. At any rate I have been able to solve some of the issues regarding the footage (its format for instance), but it still does not play on my system (PC). I hear the sound, but the video (on wmp and in premiere) is a big letterbox white screen or you can see right through it. In short the video codec is somehow not being properly recognized. I also have adobe's hdrack with the dvcpro hd decoder, so mxf files do play on my system in wmp and in premiere (as well as files converted from mxf to let's say avi). I am uncertain if the problem with viewing the footage is because it was originally edited on a MAC or what. A metadata utility I use called Mediainfo says the video stream is dvh6 and standard 29.949fps. The PC folks are at a standstill with this question. Since you MAc folks tend to cross platform I was hoping you had some insight (besides get a Mac) on how to solve the issue.

Manuel Fantoni
June 11th, 2007, 01:32 PM
I know that would be better to shoot in 50i to get the best result but.....

......i do have some footage shot in 25p(canon xh A1) and like to use in slow motion(50% up to 25%).
What's the best way,considering i do have acces to a machine with Final Cut Studio 2?

Sorry if it is an already answered question, i searched but did not find answer for 25p.

thanks

Hans Ledel
June 14th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Hi

Today I was at the Final cut Studio seminar here in Stockholm.
I must say I became impressed with what I saw, but I also became i bit confused.

Here is why

At the moment I am using FCP Studio 1 on my Imac Core Duo (intel) and I am only working in SD at the moment.

I tap a signal from one of my FW ports to ADS Pyro A/V Link converter and from there to my SD monitor for CC and it all works well.

I know that this setup will not work when I will move to HDV since this is not supported on FCP 5

I think I read that this has changed with FCP 6 so that I can use the above setup and get a SD signal from my HDV timeline via FW and get prewiev on the fly to my monitor.

So I asked one of the Apple guy´s there if that was correkt but he said it was not right at all, it didn´t work that way.
I got the feeling he was not really knowing what he was talking about

So now you might understand my confusion.

So I will ask you guy´s here

Can I get a SD prewiev via FW with the setup above in FCP 6?

Cheers

Hans

Justin DeAre
June 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I couldn't find anything via search, so here goes:

Yesterday I was editing a short that a friend of mine shot the week before (I would have shot it too but I was at a christening). He used an older Panasonic Mini-DV camera, and I tried to use it for capture as well. However, I kept getting an error about the audio bit rate of the clip not matching the capture settings. I couldn't figure out how to change the capture settings, so I redid the capture using a newer camera, which worked fine, except...

Apparently they would shoot the scene and then rewind the tape to see if they got it, then FFW and start recording again. This would cause the capture to stop and so I would do a new capture for each of these. The last 3 that I captured show up in the bin in FCP but when I try to load them into the viewer to pull clips from them nothing happens. They do open and play in an external Quicktime window though. I'm going to try reimporting the capture file, but is there something else I could do to fix these?

Thanks!!

Peter Barry
June 18th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Does anyone know what the narrow band of black and white rectangles are for at the very top left of the 16:9 frame.

Not a problem when editing on Avid as it seems to cut them off, but they are visible sometimes on Final Cut Pro and then on through to DVD. Our solution on FCP has been to put a narrow black band at the top of frame to mask the black and white squares but this does not seem to be a very elegant solution!

The squares could be some kind of timecode information and they are not visible on every single frame but enough to be very annoying!

any ideas?

Pete

Mark Joseph
June 19th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Since I had a bit of feedback asking about my HDV workflow from my earlier vids, I put together a quick video overview of how I work with HDV up on YouTube, using DVHSCap, MPEG StreamClip & FCP5 etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN0Nw5chIS4

Mark

Phil Bloom
June 20th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Using an XDCAM HD timeline and wanting to downconvert to DV. If I play out the sequence viewing it through my dvcam deck? Is it the same quality as a quicktime format conversionb or is there a quality difference?

Thanks

Gene Crucean
June 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Has anyone else noticed how 60p plays back quite a bit choppier on a 24p timeline? It looks like an exaggerated 24p effect.

To me it looks like it's FCP trying to figure out the conversion as opposed to poor system performance.

Input anyone?

Cheers

Mike Blumberg
June 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM
I have been shooting all my footage in 720 24pn, now it time for the "workflow check" to make sure I doing in right.

P2 to HDD (no problems)

Film to FCP 5.1.4 or the laesst befor Studio 2 (no problem)

Three outputs: DVD, Web , and some stock clips.

1. DVD:
I'm using the hvx200 @ 720p 24pN. I know in FCP the first step to making the 24p dvd is to export using current settings, then bring into compressor then finally dvdsp and you have 24p dvd, which will look great I hope played on TV 's using DVD player.

Can anyone add to this like bit rate info etc or other problems I might face.

2. Output from FCP to QT for web movie:
After going bind here reading a lot of post, I came close to an answer but the thread stopped.

Again hvx200 @ 720 24pN out of FCP using QT, which is a requirement of the job, but the end product looks like crap even using High Bandwith settings for Download. I need some good export setting for QT for export of 3-5 min video download not streaming in the 50mb range.

3 Stock Footage Clips of 30sec to 60 sec shot again at 720 24pn in 24p timeline FCP output should be for normal delivery based on your experances with agencys?

Your help to clarify and confirm a lot of this will be greatly apprediated.

Thanks in advance

Cole McDonald
June 20th, 2007, 09:23 PM
from the faq:

Addresses a specific issue in which users importing video from a DV camera may experience dropped frames.

I hope this let's me turn the dropped frame warnings back on in FCP!

Ruben Mendez
June 21st, 2007, 03:25 AM
I am ready to step up to FCS2, will be buying a mac pro to edit a low budget film that will be shot in october, I will be shooting with a Canon A1 (24F). I plan on learning FCP in the next few months, I currently edit on a pc with PPro 1.5.
The mac I plan to get:
Two Dual-Core 2.66GHz Intel Xeon processors, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory, 250GB hard drive, 16x double-layer SuperDrive.

I am getting the basic model to try and save some money by up grading the hardware myself. I Want to upgrade the memory by 2gb, up grade the graphics card and get an external hard drive. As far as the memory, I am not sure which brand to go with, I dont want any compatability issues. Is there a good brand thats not to exspensive? Which ones could I go with?

Do I really need to up grade the graphics card? I dont know anything about motion and color, so I wont be using them much for the next few months. Can I get by with the standard card for now? Or do I need to just upgrade now, I found ATI Radeon X1900 XT for 214.99, a cheaper price than apple sells it. Can I ask where I could find it cheaper

For an external hard drive will a 500gb be enough? Which brands should I look at? Where can I look?

Will this set up that Im looking to get work for what I going to do? Shoot a feature film on HDV. I cant wait to get my mac pro and play with it.
thanks for the help.

Mitch Fillion
June 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
So I recorded a drum track, and played a guitar track overtop of it.. and when I played it back the guitar track was off at least a second or more, you have to manually line it back up, which can never sound the same way you played it. Anyone else have this problem?

I've experienced it in other programs on my PC, but usually when you're working with a ton of tracks, but with a brand new 2ghz iMac with 2gigs of ram... with only two tracks recorded? Crummy deal.

On another note it was also happening in Garage Band, which I gurantee doesn't take up as much memory as a program like Soundtrack.

Josh Dahlberg
June 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM
Hi all,

I prefer to capture footage in several large chunks, then break them down into subclips in FCP, before using the media manager to discard the chaff.

This was no problem in FCP5, but since migrating to version 6, the media manager deletes my entire clips and subclips when I use "use existing" - either making them vanish completely or throwing them in the trash. It's okay if I use the "copy" or "move" functions, but "use existing" has become positively homicidal.

Is anyone else experiencing this - is there a fix? As I say, I had no trouble performing identical tasks in FCP5.

Thanks.

Ryan Flesher
June 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM
Now that FCS2 has been out a while, anyone want to post their best and easiest workflow to input HV20 24p footage and then mix it with Canon Xh-a1 foot (24f) and edit on same timeline.
With the open timeline the two work together well for me, but I assume you have to convert the HV20 footage (captured at 29.97) to 23.98 for it to output right.
Thanks,
Ryan

David Scattergood
June 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Reading through the numerous posts on the subject it seems fairly certain that the path to text enlightenment via FCP titles isn't a smooth one (in all senses of that word).
I've just imported a jpeg logo into FCP and have placed into onto the timeline.
There is a fairly distinct difference in quality between the two - the Canvas image is less sharp and has a more pixellated appearance.
I haven't moved/resized the image yet and as with text I believe if I need to do this I should use the control x and y's rather than picking up and dragging the image in canvas? I know that video footage appears pixellated in the canvas (showing only one field?) and that on export (to say quicktime) the appearance is much sharper.
Slightly concerned over the drop in quality from the viewer and the canvas (which doesn't seem to occur with video footage only with jpegs and text).
Any ideas folks?
Cheers.

Bjorn Schumacher
June 25th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Hello!

My first post here on this forum...

I was wondering if Final cut express HD works well with the Sony PDW-F330? I want to do some editing on my MacBook (2 ghz core2duo 2 gig ram).

I hope some one can help me out!

With kind regards,

Bjorn.

Jeremy Doyle
June 27th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Here's my situation I have some video that was captured in FCP 5 (firewire DV) that I want to use in 4.5 however when I import the clips not all the audio is there. This could be a quicktime issue I'm not sure.

When I import the clips into 4.5 it tells me the audio is a mono and there is no audio on that mono channel. When I open that same clip in quicktime (7.1.6) it plays fine and all the audio is there. When I go under properties I see the clip has a video track, a timecode track, and sound track 1 and sound track 2. When I highlight the sound track and look under the audio settings it says 1 channel assignment mono. It says the same thing for sound track 2.

When I open a clip that was captured in 4.5 in quicktime and go under properties I have a video track, a timecode track, and a sound track. Under sound track audio settings I have channel 1 assignment left and channel 2 assignment right.

For some reason I don't think FCP 4.5 is seeing anything other than one sound track property. Is there any way of getting them to import correctly?

I also have some clips with 4 channels of audio that I media managed to DV and when I import those into 4.5 again I'm getting mono 1 channel audio.

The files play fine with the audio in every app (AE, IMovie, soundtrack pro) except FCP 4.5

FCP 4.5 running on a G4 1ghz 1.12g ram. (Yeah it's an old machine, but it cuts DV just fine). OS 10.4.10, quicktime 7.1.6. Running version 1 of FCS except FCP because version 5 wouldn't run because I don't have a quartz extreme graphics card.

Any suggestions

Tim Dashwood
June 27th, 2007, 09:28 PM
http://www.lafcpug.org/nab_podcast.html

If you weren't able to attend in person you should take a couple hours and watch the podcast.
Walter Murch is truly inspiring.

Tim Dashwood
June 28th, 2007, 12:37 AM
When I installed FCS2 I used an external FW drive to store the 50GB of templates, soundtrack loops, livetype fonts, sample media, etc.

I recently copied the whole folder to a different drive and I want to tell FCS's applications where to find it in its new location.

Do I need to do this in each separate app, or is there one simple way to do it?

John Cash
June 28th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Hello, Im haveing a problem with exporting a project out of FCP in the H.264 codec and any suggestions are welcome. Heres what I have:
As far a the system-Macpro 2.6 gig Quad core- FCP 5.1.4 with 3 gig of Ram and 900 gig hard drive space-o raid
I have a 4 minute 39 second project thats 660 meg in 720HD 30p output from compresor as a Quicktime movie. I want to compress this down with a H.265 codec to make a smaller file with good quality.
If I try to export or if I change my render settings to H.264 and try to render all I get is "codec error". I dont care how I go about doing this but I want the output to also be 720 HD .
I can drag the 660 meg file into Imovie and output it ...but so far all I can get that way is a 420 size file.

I used a trial version of sorenson squeeze and got a nice 195 meg file but Im trying to not have to buy the squeeze software

Thanks

Elmer Lang
June 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Having installed everything I wanted from the previous suite, and will install the same ones this time too, and since all previous apps are to be erased, including gigs and gigs of STPro (Loops, et al), GarageBand and DVDSP, I expect the actual increase in space used won't be that much.

Does anyone have any idea how much more space will be needed in total? (I did not and will not install Motion this time either.)

best,
elmer

Jose Fonseca
June 30th, 2007, 05:06 PM
So here is my issue I am hoping someone has found a great work around. I have multiple video clips with only one audio track and for some reason one of the channels just starts playing in slow motion speed and one plays in normal speed. I looked at my audio levels I can see one of the channels running slower. I have no clue. I have tried converting my audio from aiff, wave and even QT mov and all still do the same issue. I am hoping someone else has run into this and figured how to make it work.

I am running 24p footage.

jose fonseca