View Full Version : NLE Mac / Final Cut questions from 2007

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Tobin Strickland
August 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM
anyone making graphics in Flash CS3 for their movies. I am giving it a go and seems to be working well.

question.... can the flash content be overlaid onto the FCE content. IN otherwords is there a way to make the flash graphics with a transparent background so it overlays the FCE image?

I can do it all in Flash...but I am worried that the files would be larger in flash.

Elmer Lang
August 10th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Having dropped my "Apple Loops for STP" folder (containing 3 smaller folders: Apple Loops, PowerFX Loops, SoundIdeas) onto GarageBand, they don't all seem accounted for.

Take "Orchestral String Section 85" from PowerFX Loops. When I type it into GB's search it doesn't come up. 86 does. Many others don't either.

Why don't they all show?

thanks,
lmr

Dino Leone
August 10th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Hi all,
I'm currently using FCE and I'd very much like to "upgrade" to FCS. After reading parts of the manuals I found one particular feature about compressor that would be very useful: compressing jobs distributed over several machines (to accelerate compressing and to distribute the load).
Now I'm wondering if it's possible (and legal) to install compressor/Qmaster on several machines having just one single FCS license? The manual isn't quite clear about that (I would assume that's in the EULA but I don't have that since I haven't bought the software yet).
Has anybody tried this?
Best,
Dino

Kevin Harrington
August 10th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I am recently re-logging some clips shot 24f, 16:9 from an XL2 a year ago. I have an XLH1 and an HV20 now, but the HV20 will not recognize ANY footage on the tape in playback (blue screen, no timecode) and the XLH1, while it shows video, lacks timecode, and worst of all, no audio when captured. Is my only solution to go back to the XL2 to capture, or is there some settings I can fiddle with within FCP?

I know 24f from the XL2 had some problems with FCP, but the fact that the Canon cameras cannot playback is very worrisome, as the XL2 is across the country and not really an option for me to use as a deck.

Chuck Spaulding
August 13th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Is anyone using ProRes in HD Production?

If so:

What is your source material?
What are you mastering too?
Are you using the HQ 220 or Medium 145?
Any noticeable difference between the HQ and Medium quality?
What capture card are you using?
Are you having any problems?
What has been your overall experience?

As part of FCP6 ProrRes has been out for a while but there's surprising little debate about it which leads me to believe that few people are using it, it works great and there's no need for discussion or there isn't a need for it.

We recently completed an HD project with 11 DVCProHD cameras, about 6TB worth of data. We are thinking we would like to switch to Sony HDCam and then capture to ProRes 145.

Any insights or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick Pike
August 16th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I produced a wedding video for a client about a year ago. At the time, when I logged the tapes into FCP, I simply used the Capture Now function.

Recently, the client contacted me and asked me to make a dew changes to the video. Not having the footage still on my computer, I would have to recapture it. However, because I used Capture Now originally, there is not enough pre-roll space on the tapes to correctly capture the logged clips. I tried to recapture a tape using Capture Now, and then relinking the clip, but FCP couldn't match the start and end times of the clip.

Am I stuck, or is there a solution that I am missing?

Owen Meek
August 18th, 2007, 07:17 AM
I'm looking at crossing over to OSX, my query is to determine if FCP is more CPU reliant like Vegas or Video Card reliant like Premiere for editing HDV? (Canon HV20)

I am more of a dabbler than a serious video editor. I want a Mac more so for Logic Audio but I don't want to negate my options if I take a shine to FCP.

I basically need to know if the first Powerbook option with the "NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM" will suffice compared to the 256MB version at a $700AU difference.

Kalunga Lima
August 18th, 2007, 03:46 PM
I'm looking for a FW800 Host card for a 8-Core MacPro, the idea being to keep my FW800 external drives on a separate FW bus while I use the existing FW ports for connecting my camera (XDCam) when indesting and for my audio mixer.

Any suggestions as to make and model?

Thanks

Hans Ledel
August 20th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Hello

I have a question about Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC).

At the moment I have an Intel IMac Core Duo and Final Cut Studio 1 (FCP 5.1.4) and I am editing in SD so far.

I have been looking at the new Sony CX6 witch use AVCHD codec and I am aware of that my FCP 5.1.4 will not import that.
However, I have just bought IMovie 08 and that program will accept AVCHD and will convert it to AIC.

At first it sounded like a good idea to capture in Imovie and then open the files in FCP since my FCP will accept AIC.

When I looked for AIC in “Easy Setup” the only one I can find is "HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 1080i50" (I’m in PAL country) and this is where I got confused since it said HDV.

Is that another AIC that won’t work with my IMovie AIC or are they the same?

To put this in one question: Could I use my Imovie 08 to capture AVCHD into AIC and the import those files in FCP under AIC1080i50 even if it says HDV-AIC?

I hope someone will be able to help me with this question.

Cheers

Hans

Ariel Ferrer
August 21st, 2007, 09:17 AM
Hi I have a lot of material for a feature film shoot on a DVX100 in 24p Advance using a 16:9 anamorphic converter lens. I am Using FCP6 and I am capturing with a custom preset to be able to capture in 16:9 with the Remove Pulldown option cheked to edit in 24p (I will eventually transfer to film) The weird thing or problem that I am having is that most of the clips shows up as 23.98 as it should be But some times I get some clips in 29.97!!!! The camera Setting was never changed in Production!!! it always stayed in F6 the 24p Advance setting!!! I then tried the remove Pulldown options in Tools menu but I ended up with a clip with interlace fields!!!! very Weird!! So I thought that the tape was shoot in regular 24p, but I made a test shoot in regular 24p and then tried to remove the Pulldown via the Tools menu option but It won't let me because it was NOT shoot in 24pA!!! Si I have a Bunch of clips in 29.97 That I KNOW I shoot in 24pA but for some reason when I capture it doesn't remove the Fields and When I tried to remove it after capture I ended up with a interlace clip!!! Does anybody know id theres a Bug with this Workflow!! The camera is the DVX100 not the DVX100A or DVX100B. I used Cinema tools to convert the footage and it did it fine, But I want to avoid using Cinema Tools because it adds more time to the production!!! Can anyone have a clue? Thanks in advance!!!

ariel

Reggie Moser
August 21st, 2007, 04:43 PM
Hello,
I just installed final cut pro 6 and everytime I either application I must re-enter my name and serial#,any idea why this happens? I never had this problem on any of the earlier versions..thanks for you help...

Reggie

Bill Edmunds
August 23rd, 2007, 07:29 AM
I've got some 24p footage from a JVC HD100 and I cannot capture it successfully. If I use the HDV preset, FCP wants to stop after each cut, re-cue the footage, and capture just that one shot before stopping again to re-cue for the next shot. If I use the AIC, all the footage I capture plays back at like 3x speed, but with normal audio!

I'm using FCP 5.1.4 and capturing via firewire from the camera.

Jourdan McClure
August 23rd, 2007, 04:45 PM
So here is the dilmema. I want to shoot 24p footage and 60i footage and work with them in a 24p timeline. I know that putting 60i footage in a 24p timeline makes the clips playback jerky but if I convert the 60i footage to 24p then isnt the clip not a clip running at 24fps?

The reason I want the 60i clip is so I can slow it waaaaaayyyyy down but I want to be able to use it in my 24 timeline. So how do I do that..? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My fear was that if I got the 60i clip slowed down the way i wanted and needed to covnert it to 24p to work on the timeline for output it would ruin the slow mo. Again thanks for any help.

Andrae Palmer
August 26th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Any 8 core Mac Pro owners out there? I've done some testing and found out that Compressor 3 or 3.0.1 is very slow to transcode DVCPRO HD footage compared to a dual 2.7GHz G5. The problem lies with the 90-150 minute DVD presets in Compressor. My G5 is doing a 6 minute encode of DVCPRO HD 720p footage to DVD MPEG-2 90 minute preset in 20 minutes. The Mac Pro 8 core is taking 52 minutes. I've wiped the system and tried virtual clusters still no speed difference. I've narrowed the problem down to 90-150 minute DVD presets when transcoding DVCPRO HD 720 or 1080 footage. The problem doesn't exist for the other formats including MPEG-1 or HD DVD presets. I would like to verify if this is a genuine problem with the 8 core Mac Pro's. Also DV or DVC Pro 50 footage works with the 90-150 minute MPEG-2 presets. The slow down was with DVCPRO HD and Apple Pro Res codecs.

Katie Mims
August 27th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm beginning new projects, and wanted to get an opinion on which speed to shoot at. I'm using the Sony HVR-V1U which shoots HDV.

The first project is a series of short documentary style pieces on an AIDS camp in the Bahamas and an orphanage in the Bahamas. These are going to be more cinematic a

nd won't have a ton of fast movement or action, if any at all. The second project is a series of promotional videos for a children's center and intern program. This is going to be fast paced, and will probably involve shots of kids doing activities, sports, etc. Lots of movement.

While I love the look of 24p, it doesn't do well with lots of movement/action, especially fast movement. It's also a real pain to edit. I never have found a workflow that worked well for me. I always ended up with some kind of field/cadence issue (I'm about to update to FCS2, and I'm not well versed yet in how it handles this issue. Does anyone know how it does with 24p shot on the Sony HVR-V1U?).

I haven't done much with 30p yet. From my understanding, it looks better than 60i (less video-like) and handles motion better than 24p. However, I've never edited in 30p. What is that process like/what is involved in that?

What is the standard format for documentary type projects? It is going to be filmed in the Bahamas, and some other stuff I've shot here has turned out absolutely beautiful.

Also, my final modes of delivery are going to be standard def DVD for home use, online, big-screen projector projecting and possibly broadcast.

So, what do you think? What tips would you have?

Thanks!

Robert Ducon
August 27th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Hi all. I've shot scenes with a 35mm adapter and an HV20 in 24P mode (which records 24P in a 60i stream in HDV). Then I've imported into FCP6, rotated the image 180degrees (to get it upright) and then used the new Compressor to Reverse Telecine the footage to get it into 24P. Looks great, except...

The Chroma lags behind the luma! Two frames it's correct (and on the luma) then the next two frames it lags behind the luma, then repeats. It's noticable when there's big movement with contrasting colours in the image (red really stands out).

Did I miss a step?

Charles Gerungan
August 29th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Is it possible to color correct via the DVI output of my MBP into the HDMI input of my Panasonic HD TV? If so, what cable would I need, DVI-A or DVI-D?

Will this work for SD only, or HDV, too?

Jeff Ray
August 29th, 2007, 06:10 PM
I'm having trouble with footage taking out all the color except for the bright red color of a convertible car. When I do it, it looks fine before I render it, but upon rendering it in the timeline, a weird black shape covers it.

I've attached a pic below (before and after rendering) for a helpful visual aid.

Suggestions?

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/6977/chromakeydw0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Adam Bray
August 30th, 2007, 12:30 AM
How come when I try to save a .mov using Quicktime Conversion, DVD Studio Pro won't accept it as an asset? It says "Incompatible Format".

Ideas?

***EDIT***

Found my answer. DVD Studio wants an mpeg-2 file.

Jase Tanner
August 30th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Usually its just a matter of of reconnecting media that goes off line. Not a problem. But there have been a few times that I've been unable to find it.

How does one find it when the usual searches fail. (spotlight, command-f, doing a manual search)

Has the file been corrupted? Is it retrievable? And failing that, is the hard disc space still being used up. If so, how can one retrieve that space?

Thanks

Greg Quinn
September 2nd, 2007, 05:45 PM
I've got a large number of files in AIC format that I need to remove the pulldown from (these are from a V1U running in 24P mode). On a file-per-file basis I can remove the pulldown with Cinema Tools just fine, but when I'm presented with the batch settings dialog, it's missing the "Fields" component on the dialog (which is there when I convert files separately), which I need to set to _CD_ in order to properly remove the pulldown. Is it impossible to set the reverse telecine fields value in batch mode on Cinema Tools?

Thanks
Greg

Jase Tanner
September 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I've got a piece that will be distributed on both the web and on DVD.

Normally I correct to my broadcast monitor for DVD release. So without going through the whole process again, is there a good way to easliy optimize the colour for the web?

Wondering about changing the video processing (sequence>settings) from YUV to RGB

Thanks

FCP 5.1.4

Henry Harrison
September 10th, 2007, 09:11 PM
HI, I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I've taken a time lapse (actually several) with my HVX200. The clip was taken in 720p/60 video mode. I'm trying to play it back in an FCP sequence with an editing time base of 24 frames a second (compressor set at DVCPRO HD 720p60) but I get a weird jutter or skipping effect after I render the clip. If I drop it into a sequence set to editing time base of 60 frames I have no problem but all my other normal speed stuff is taken in 720p/24pn film. Is there a way to work the time lapse from the HVX into my 24frame sequences? Thanks

Vishad Dewan
September 11th, 2007, 01:25 AM
I've edited some footage on FCP and exported to DVD SP via Compressor AND QT Movie. When I play the DVD the picture is terribly pixelated. During editing I see the same thing, but I figured since I shot in 60i mode that was just my monitor not displaying both fields.

Is there a way to soften the pixelation or at least sharpen the picture without it looking like it went through a pair of scissors?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I'm on a deadline and any suggestions will help me eliminate possibilities.

William Dortignac
September 11th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hi,
I updated to quicktime 7.2 and ever sense, I have not been able to play any quicktime videos straight through.

I'm working on editing a wedding, and one of my camera guys sent me all his footage on a hard drive, in quicktime format. now for some reason I am having the same problem with Final Cut Pro. none of my video clips will play for more then 2 seconds.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

John Cash
September 13th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Hello all, the last few days I have seen something going on that really concerns me. I usually leave my machine on and FCP open all day while Im at work which puts the monitor in sleep mode. When activated it comes up with the entire disply at a blueish hue, and sometimes I get red lines all over for just split seconds as if it is unstable. I havent checked all the connections yet ( Like I do in my real job dealing with electronics) but has anyone ever had this problem? Seems after aboutr a minute everything settles down and the typical grey color returns to the Viewer,canvas and timeline.

Am I about to see a crash?

Mark Shea
September 13th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Hi

I'm recapturing an old project. I started batch capturing the first tape, which was saved as three separate files. The (last) end of tape file (tape1c) cannot be captured as an error message comes up that the tape ends before capture complete. I checked the tape, it ends at 1.25.30. Yet the file on FCP says the tape ends at 1.25.33?

I tried naming a new file the same as the original end of tape file (tape1c), and capturing only to 1.25.30, but the project won't replace this new file with the old one.

I'm just wondering if anyone can suggest a workaround?

Nate Ford
September 14th, 2007, 02:50 PM
So here's the situation:

I'm an FCP editor and I edit a couple of web-shows for a cable channel that feature a lot of talking heads shot against a greenscreen.

my department moved to a new studio recently and we scrapped out traditional green-screen setup and instead invested in the reflecmedia chromatte system. this thing seems really cool on paper and we liked the idea of being able to have one of their curtains in the studio and the portable flexible background for locations/etc.

it took our shooters a while to get the hang of it, but once they did they were able to give me stuff with a pretty nice keyable green backdrop. (they shoot on dvx's and one hvx, fwiw.) i found that with "mattenee," the software keying package sold by reflecmedia, i was able to get a nice key. (i never really got a good key with the built-in fcp greenscreen plug.) this was on a g5 running fcp5.1.

here's where the trouble starts: they recently upgraded my suite to a mac pro running fcp studio 2/final cut 6. now, when i apply the filter and uncheck the "automatic" box, which allows the manual tweaking of the white and black level, fcp crashes. every time. the plug-in works on "automatic", but its useless on automatic-i can't get a good key without tweaking those 2 parameters. our i.t. guys loaded fcp studio 2 on a g5 and an intel-based mac pro, and same thing. running the older fcp suite on the same machines, the plugin was ok.

meantime, reflecmedia isn't returning our IT guys' calls or emails (and without naming names, our channel is a pretty major one and we're accustomed to our calls being returned.) furthermore, the software package appears to have fallen off the face of the earth- there's no mention of it on their site, just the hardware based keying stuff, which they continue to manufacture.

so the reason for my post is twofold-
first, a warning- reflecmedia is a crappy company for support. based on our experiences, i would strongly discourage anyone from buying their products.

secondly, i need help. has anyone been able to get this plug-in to work on the system i described? have you had good luck with any other keying software? i hate to throw good money after bad, but it's not my money, and ultimately i just need something that works. given the reality of my workflow, the keying has to take place in final cut, not in after-effects, motion, or anywhere else. let me know what you've used and recommend.

Joshua Aaron
September 14th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I've got some older videotapes that I'm importing into FCP6 and although they import just fine, the tracking is a bit screwy. On a VCR you've got tracking adjustment knobs and can do some things to clean it up. Is there anything like that for already imported footage in FCP6? Unfortunately, I imported a few hours of video footage and didn't realize the tracking was pretty off. Instead of going through and hoping that one adjustment will work for the entire videotape I was hoping to be able to correct this digitally.

David Warren
September 16th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Hi, I'm a 2nd year film student and also a long-time premiere user.. havnt had any problems with it to speak of until i started editing HDV footage from my canon xh-a1.. premiere's lack of an intermediate codec is sort of the main problem.. but also im now going to be getting into ProTools and whatnot so I'm taking the plunge and looking to pick up a mac..
im on a bit of a budget with school and whatnot so im weighing out my options right now.. basically im wondering what will be able to run final cut studio 2 (mostly fcp6 really) while editing hdv footage.. im willing to stick with 5.1.4 for now if its going to cost more hardware wise.
anyway..
a macmini is obviously the cheapest option and it can be equiped with 2gb of ram which is recomended for fcp6.. but it says 'all intel integrated video is not supported' which is all the macmini AND macbook's use..
is this entirely true? am i SOL unless i spend $2k on a macbook pro or macpro?
i already have a good monitor/keyboard/mouse setup for my pc here that i could use so i dont really want an imac..

so my main criteria are:
-dont want to spend a ton of money
-want to be able to edit my 1440x1080 24f (!!!) hdv footage at a decent speed

aaaaaand.. thats about it.

anyway.. just looking for some suggestions here.
thanks
-dave

Elmer Lang
September 19th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Archive.org (a wonderful site) sometimes has options for Cinepack, they are often large indicating pretty good quality, I think. Are they editable in FCP?
lmr

Ryan Black
September 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hey all, I 've got a couple hardware questions for those of you with mac pros.

1)I am gonna be buying a new mac pro when leopard comes out, and wanna setup my system to do multiple simultaneous video outputs. I am going to use a 30" monitor for the main screen, and would like to mirror the output (fullscreen) to a sony broadcast monitor and maybe a second 23" display in Motion3, FC6, and DVDSP4. I work primarily in timelines that use a 23.976 frame rate. Any ideas as to what additional cards I need to do this, ones that support 24p previewing?

2)Does anyone have experience with hardware vs. software raid in os x? The apple raid pci card is 1000 bucks, I am wondering if it really makes a difference in performance, and making the OS sluggish. Any opinions? I am thinking of doing a raid 5 (with system files and project files all on one volume) or raid 0 for project files plus a regular old drive for system files.

Any ideas or insight is appreciated!

Robert Dombaj
September 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Hello,
I have created MPEG2 files of my project (.m2v extension) at a pretty high bit rate (I think it was 6.5). I'm a little disappointed at how flat everything looks. It almost looks like the software applied some kind of a "flatten picture" filter. Also, I created an intro in after effects, rendered it out uncompressed and imported into my FCP project. Even that doesn't have the contrast and saturation of the original...and some of the lines have major jaggies. Any idea what I did wrong?

I'm on FCP 5.1.4 and it's my first time encoding to MPEG2 from it.

Thanks,
RD

Jeff Rhode
September 20th, 2007, 02:05 PM
HD2 footage into Final Cut needs rendering--Help ?
A member of our staff is using an HC2 and I am having a problem getting the audio into Final Cut Pro without needing to be rendered. It is MPEG4 48k 16bit AAC audio. I am using a 720 P30 codec because she shot HD with the camera, but all of the audio must be rendered once it hits the timeline.

Any thoughts on a setting that I can turn into and easy set up for her in Final Cut ?

Thanks !

Pete Cofrancesco
September 22nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Recently I had to preview a movie on a TV and the output via firewire was grayed out. Took me a few frantic hours googling and to figure out the problem.

A month ago I upgraded my system from 10.3 to 10.4 and in the process it messed up quicktime, leaving this weird error.

So I thought I'd post the solution for anyone else who needs it.
1. Delete all quicktime system files with .pkg extension
2. Download the latest quicktime from apple.

Kaku Ito
September 26th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Has anyone done anything with iSCSI storage solution for FCP?
Me and my associate is trying to build iSCSI solution using the chassis, the control card from Enahanced Technology and the initiator from ATTO.
We are going to be testing this storage system next week but I would like to share if anyone has any experiences with the similar system.

James Brill
September 27th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I captured clips from a "mock" commercial I shot using 1080 60i on a Z1. I captured the whole tape using final cut set up for 1080 60i. With these clips on my external hard drive I am going to take them to my directors house tomorrow to edit on his computer. Since it is a commercial I want to downconvert it to SD via edge cropping since I framed most of the shots with edge cropping in mind. Should I load the clips into compressor and downconvert from there and open the new clips in final cut? I want to downconvert them before we start editing just so we know what the frame looks like, but we also want to do it without sacrificing image quality.

Gustavo Godinho
September 28th, 2007, 10:38 AM
I have a 26 minutes 50i (cineframe 25) documentary that I need to finish for TV presentation (NTSC - SD).

What is the best way to use Nattress plug-in?

1- Should I first downconvert to PAL - SD and then convert to NTSC?
2- Should I convert to 50i to 60i and then downconvert?
3- What options should I mark to get the best motion result?

Jason Coblentz
September 28th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I have a friend who is cutting some footage in vegas, and I am wanting to know if it is possible to export his cuts and import them into final cut to continue editing. I understand we both have to have the raw footage in our computers. I have looked at using the xml format but vegas doesn't seem to export in that format. Vegas exports aaf format, but I don't know if i could make it work in final cut. Any suggestions on how to get cuts from one NLE to another?

Jimmy Conway
October 1st, 2007, 03:06 AM
I get a jittery footage after rendering my slow motion clips in HDV in FCP6 in the timeline. I need to turn in this movie in tomorrow as a DV quicktime file and DV tape. Any quick ways to fix this problem? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Dana Salsbury
October 3rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
I have a 2.66 Quad & Dell 2001FP Monitor. After a few hours of being away from the computer, I cannot bring it back from a black screen through the mouse or keyboard. I turn on and off the monitor, but it doesn't come back, though it makes the appropriate sounds to keyboard commands. The only workaround is to unplug the hdmi cord and plug it back in. Is there a keyboard command that I'm missing, because there is no problem with the screensaver when it's on. It's the black screen that kills me. Thoughts?

Nate Benson
October 8th, 2007, 09:53 AM
I've been doing some extensive work in Motion 3 this morning, and when I'm done with my composite/design the canvas and image will start to flicker on and off. I did a ram preview and that didn't do anything (I figured I was just eating some ram up by editing in real time) I've re-done this design twice thinking it was something I did, but it isn't. Motion is just acting up on its own. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Andrew Slankard
October 8th, 2007, 03:12 PM
So I noticed on the Apple store's site that Adobe CS3 is available for Mac and I was wondering if the projects can transfer seamlessly between the Mac and PC platforms. I'm considering buying my own editing suite for work (probably a used G5 that I can upgrade - unless CS3 only works on Intel based Macs in which case I'd try to get a Mac Pro of some kind). And I often times transfer projects to my co-workers so they can edit on them when I can't, or so they can add their share of the work to a project. Would I be able to do that if I was working on a Mac and they were using their PC's? If it's possible that'd be awesome...

Will Stotler
October 9th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Hello! This is my first post, so go easy on me. . . . Thanks.

I've read articles on the Web and posts here to develop this workflow and it does seem to be working A-OK.

However, I'd like to confirm my workflow with people here.

We do want to keep the Capture / Conversion Chain as described below--a confirmation of the settings through the chain (or observations) will be appreciated.

I haven't seen the full chain described like this from end-to-end but I can't believe that we're running a unique workflow.

Goal
------------
Edit in FCP at 24 fps (23.98), 1080i, 1920x1080

Capture / Conversion Chain
------------
V1U (Set to 24PA) --> HVR-DR60 (Sony Hard Drive) --> MPEG Streamclip --> Cinema Tools --> FCP6

Details, MPEG Streamclip
----------
Open M2T File
File --> Export to Quicktime...
Settings in Movie Exporter Window
* Compression: Apple Intermediate Codec
* Quality: 100%
* Frame Size: 1920 x 1080 (HDTV 1080i)
* Interlace Scaling: Checked
* Reinterlace Chroma: Checked
Output = .mov

Details, Cinema Tools
----------
Open .mov File
Clip --> Reverse Telecine
Settings in Reverse Telecine Window
* Capture Mode: "Field 1 - Field 2"
* Fields: _CD_
* Frames: Conform to 23.98 FPS
* Frames: Standard Upper/Lower: Checked
Output = .mov.rev

Details, FCP 6
----------
Import .mov.rev
Move .mov.rev to Sequence
Settings for Sequence:

* General Tab
** 1920 x 1080 HDTV 1080i (16:9)
** Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square
** Editing Timebase: 23.98
** Quicktime Video Settings: Apple Intermediate Codec, 100%

* Video Processing Tab
** Render in 8-bit YUV
** Process Maximum White as: White
** Motion Filtering Quality: Best

As I said, the footage appears to be working "as expected" in FCP6, but a confirmation would be great to remove any fears that WYSIWYG really isn't--that I'm missing something (or could get a better telecine of the footage or somesuch).

Thanks,
Will

Robert Bale
October 9th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Hi people i have a question, i have the HD111 and shooting in hd25p, i capture via DVHCAP and Convert with streem clip using the HDV720P25 setting. Open the files in FCP and edit in HD, OUTPUT a quicktime .mov then open it in compressor.... this is the promlem, if i use the best quality 2 pass setting ,if i play it back on a std tv its fine, But play it on a plazma or lcd 42' - 60' it basicly is crap. Has any found a way to may it look good. i am burning it with DVD studio on a std DVD. I also use the True Colour 3 setting.

One other think is the 50p should i use this for filming motobike racing, i want to slow down some of the footage, but need to keep the sound in sink.

i know that this has been covered before, can someone help or let me know of a post that may help.
rob.

James Brill
October 10th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I plan on buying a mac pro today from an apple retail store and they actually have the processor I want in stock (3.0ghz dual core). Unfortunately they don't have any of the video cards for mac pro's except for the 7300's. I plan on getting the 23 hd display and viewing on a sony pvm for color and dimensions. My understanding is that the matrox mxo kinda bypasses the video card and does it's own thing to put out the signal which makes me think the 7300 would be fine for what I need it. Will the 7300 video card be good enough to be used with the matrox mxo and a 23 display along side a crt monitor?

Erik Palm
October 11th, 2007, 01:09 PM
When I downconvert HDV material to SD buy changing the HDV timeline to a new SD timeline, what has been edited with a slowmotion effect, the sd material in slowmotion strobes like it has a field order problEm. If I remove the clip and put the HDV material to the sd timeline directly the same happends. What is it? How do I solve it?

Studio 2 PAL and Canon XH-A1

Kind regards

Erik Palm
October 11th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Dear all!

I have problem with shift fileds. I use mpeg-2 PAL material converted to DV25 by using the free software MPEG Streamclip 1.8. It is material from www.thenewsmarket.com I put the converted clips on an PAL SD timelie in FCP. This I mix with DV PAL material filmed with a Canon XH-A1. FCP should fix the field order but still I get strobe effect.

What shall I do?

Kind regards Erik

Scott Jaco
October 13th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Hi,

I'm using FCP 5

I've recently updated the firmware on my deckline blackmagic card because I needed to get the proper settings to match the closed captioning house's settings so I could insert Closed Captioning code onto my tapes (long story)

Anyway, I'm finding that my insert edits are no longer accurate. The deck seems to punch in at the correct "in" point on the tape, but FCP is giving me an extra second of footage before the "in" point on my timeline which is very strange.

Is there a calibration that needs to be made? How do I do this?

Floris van Eck
October 14th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Solved my own question.