View Full Version : Vegas Video discussions from 2004 (Q3Q4)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

Nate Cannon
August 18th, 2004, 03:03 PM
I'm fairly new with Vegas 5 and have applied the "Glow" effect to an entire video track.

I want to remove the effect from all the clips that it's applied to. I must have had all the video clips selected on the track, and applied the effect to one(all).

Anyhow, I can't click on the individual clips and remove the effect for it doesnt show the effect applied but I can clearly see the effect on the video in the preview window.

I would imagine it's an easy fix. Like I said, I'm new with Vegas... go easy on me :)

Thanks!

Nate

Bill Ravens
August 18th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Check the effects button on the video track header(little green box on the left of the video track timeline

Nate Cannon
August 18th, 2004, 03:12 PM
Bill... Thanks for the quick reply!

I will try that when I get home from work... If that does it, I will delete the post.

Vegas has been pretty overwhelming for me. I've been using Pinnacle's Studio software for about 4 years but it was time to move on to bigger and better! And it surely is!

Thanks again!

Nate

Trey Perrone
August 18th, 2004, 03:51 PM
two problems i have with my Vegas5

1. when rendering mpeg2 files...if i choose two pass (VBR) it hangs when it gets to 50% and starts its second pass

2.when selecting "normalize" on an audio clip it mutes the entire clip.

ANyone else run into anything like this??

I just reinstalled the OS (xppro) not even a month ago.

tried the repair option for Veg5, nogo. tried uninstall of Veg5 and DVDarch2...still nogo.

Randall Campbell
August 18th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks again to all of the Vegas users that provided feedback on the pre-releases!

Release 1.0 of the Veggie Toolkit is now available for download and purchase at the following:

http://www.peachrock.com/software/veggie-toolkit.html

Thanks,

Randall

Edward Troxel
August 18th, 2004, 08:36 PM
1. Have you tried doing a full render to AVI and then rendering that AVI to MPEG? You may simply have a tough section that is eating up a lot of memory.

2. Yes, sometimes when you normalize that happens. However, it does NOT happen all the time. I do not know *what* causes it to happen.

Trey Perrone
August 18th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Edward,

1. that is precisely what i have done...i have already rendered a full avi file. It happens on multiple files...

over the past week i have been able to jsut reboot and then it would work w/out the two-pass checked. i tried that earlier and now it still wont work.

this happens on multiple files, not just one...last week i was working with some avi .mov generated from FCP, so ithought it was simply a file issue, but now it is performing that way with AVIs i have rendered out of Veg5 on my own system...

im just wondering if it has anything to do with a codec that could be updated/reinstalled...perhaps not a codec installed with veg5/dvdArch, but a windows resident codec.

2.the normalize issue just started up last week...i had previously been using it constantly because i was working off footage from XL1s/GL1 and needed to compensate the GL1 audio a bit.

*ALSO - i run a pretty clean system...while editing virus (AVG) is turned off and also many windows services have been disabled (blackviper.com) to free up more memory - but i dont think any of that has to do with mpeg encoding

Graham Bernard
August 18th, 2004, 11:57 PM
You got "Ignore Third Party Codecs" enabled? If not, try it and see if there is a difference. It was your comments about CODECS that got me thinking, The Normalization question you might wanna ask it over on the VEgas Audio or Video sites - yeah? Or evemn the Sony Sound Forge site. Failing that try the DMN or COW site too. Somebody will have an answer. Also the Sony FAQ plus an email to Sony Techs ... ;-)

Grazie

Rob Lohman
August 19th, 2004, 01:31 AM
Nate: we don't allow people to delete their post. Which is good
since someone else in the future might be asking the same thing
and can find this answer through a search for example.

Rob Lohman
August 19th, 2004, 02:10 AM
Are your running the latest update to Vegas 5?

Simon Wyndham
August 19th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Seeing as Vegas cannot show a realtime waveform analysis of the video as it comes through on capture, does anyone know of a freeware waveform tool that can analyse the siginal in realtime before capture?

Bill Ravens
August 19th, 2004, 07:46 AM
www.seriousmagic.com

Cosmin Rotaru
August 19th, 2004, 07:57 AM
the normalizations mutes the audio when the picks are not created. Or how are they called? When you take a clip into the time line, Vegas draws those wave forms on audio track... If you CANCEL that process, normalization will mute the track...

Simon Wyndham
August 19th, 2004, 08:09 AM
Thanks!

They have a trial version, but it's $495 for the full version! Ouch!

Rafal Krolik
August 19th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Simon. Could you tell me where you got the version for film and dv demo? The only one I seem to find and be able to download is the Photoshop version. HELP !!!

Simon Wyndham
August 19th, 2004, 10:12 AM
I managed to track down the demo from here;
http://www10.dcccafe.com/link/display_links.php?category_id=105&order=added&sd=d

I've emailed them to ask why the demo isn't directly linked on the Visinf website but have not had a response as yet.

Rob Lohman
August 19th, 2004, 12:08 PM
It's called PEAKS. Just for your information...

Lars Siden
August 19th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Hello Sunny,

When I got the question to install DirectX 8 I said "ok" and the installer started - detected that I already had a newer version and everything was fine.

I'm running Acid Pro 4( f I think) on my Win XP pro!

// Lazze \\

Shane Schmidt
August 19th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Does anyone know if Sony offers a CD for the V5.0b update? 40 MB might take awhile on dial up...

Thanks

Glen Elliott
August 19th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Set up the download before you go to bed. Should be completed by morning.

Edward Troxel
August 19th, 2004, 02:08 PM
I have never seen them offer an update CD. Do you have any friends with high speed internet and a cd burner? I'm dial-up at home as well. That's why I download the larger files like this on our DSL line at work. Then I burn the current installs on a CD which I can use at home.

Shane Schmidt
August 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Yeah I can have someone else DL it for me, just thought I would ask if Sony had one available. I really need to get out of the dial up dark ages one of these days...

One more Q, does the update fix anything major in V5?

Thanks!

Shane

Edward Troxel
August 19th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Notable Changes/Fixes in Version 5.0b

An Import audio at project tempo check box has been added to the Audio tab of the Preferences dialog. When this check box is selected, ACID loops are automatically stretched to match the project tempo (specified on the Ruler tab of the Project Properties dialog) when you add them to the timeline or preview from the Explorer window. When the check box is cleared, tempo information is ignored.
A bug has been fixed that caused the Explorer window to lose its Favorites settings if the list was too long. Favorites are now saved in the following file: C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sony\Vegas\5.0\ExplorerFavorites.txt. The file is saved whenever you close the Explorer window or exit the application. You can copy the file to different computers or user accounts to migrate Favorites settings.
To see this file, you must have the Show hidden files and folders radio button selected on the View tab of the Folder Options Control Panel.
The Vegas Network Render Service no longer uses a unique installer. You can install Vegas software on up to three computers (your main editing computer and up to two renderers). You must use the same information (serial number and registration information) on all computers.
If you need to purchase additional licenses, please contact our Customer Service department.
You no longer need to save your project before using network rendering. Before network rendering begins, a copy of your project — in its current state — will be saved in the shared output folder for use by the renderers. This version will have all media paths remapped based on the Network Render Service file mappings.
The Vegas Network Render Service can now set file mappings automatically. Right-click the File Mappings tab and choose Auto-Fill File Mappings from the shortcut menu.
Markers for each MPEG elementary stream are now saved as an .sfl file.
The MPEG reader now correctly reads the first frame of MPEG files rendered by Vegas. This also corrects an off-by-one frame A/V sync problem when reading MPEG files.
You can now render QuickTime files with frame sizes up to 2048x2048. Previous versions of the QuickTime plug-in were limited to 800x600.
A bug has been fixed that prevented the Edit Details window from updating correctly when using the Select Events to End command.
A bug that could cause a crash when right-clicking with the Envelope tool in empty timeline space has been fixed.
The Video Preview window now updates correctly when using the arrow keys to nudge the selection box in the Event Pan/Crop dialog.
A bug has been fixed that prevented the Width and Height controls in the Event Pan/Crop dialog from handling pixel aspect ratio correctly.
A bug has been fixed that prevented the toolbars in the Event Pan/Crop window from drawing correctly in Windows XP SP2.
A bug that prevented Event Pan/Crop changes from invalidating prerendered video has been fixed.
A bug that prevented Hold keyframes from holding their settings has been fixed.
A bug has been fixed that prevented interaction between 3D tracks that were separated by an empty 2D track.
You can now move the selection box in the Track Motion window using the arrow keys on your keyboard.
Slow and fast keyframe types are now listed correctly in the Track Motion shortcut menu (slow and fast behaviors were reversed in previous Vegas 5 releases).
The Sync Cursor button in the Track Motion window now retains its setting when the window is closed and reopened.
A Sharp keyframe bug has been fixed in the Track Motion and Pan/Crop windows.
A bug has been fixed that prevented 2D glow on a parent track from being applied if the parent track contained no media or track motion.
A bug has been fixed that could cause a crash when adding 3D transitions to PAL media in a PAL project.
A bug has been fixed that caused video event effects to be added as track effects when dropped on the cursor.
Choosing Show Envelopes from the View menu lo longer toggles track keyframes.
A bug has been fixed that caused gapping when recording audio under specific conditions.
A bug that caused waveform gaps in temporary peaks during recording has been fixed.
A bug has been fixed that prevented adjustments to the Master Fader on the Mackie Control Universal from being applied to the master bus in the Vegas mixer.
You can now assign the F1 through F8 keys on the Mackie Control Universal to custom functions.
The Configure Mackie Control dialog (Preferences > External Control & Automation > double-click Mackie Control entry in Active control devices list) now includes an Emulated Mackie Control Device device type. You can use this mode to configure the Mackie Control Universal when the device is not connected or turned off, or you can configure another controller that emulates the Mackie Control Universal MIDI messages. Please refer to your device documentation for emulation information.
Simple transport SYSEX support has been added for generic MIDI controllers to allow you to configure transport functions on a generic controller. Note that generic SYSEX support is not included.

Shane Schmidt
August 19th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Holy rusted metal Batman!

Cool, now I can use my arrow keys in the pan/crop box, I really missed that.

Thanks Edward!

Jonathan Gentry
August 20th, 2004, 12:11 AM
I have Vegas+DVD. I'm trying to remove noise from a recording in vegas.

I want to view a real-time audio EQ so I can see the frequencies to remove in order to get rid of this noise problem.

Any help on viewing an EQ in the program is appreciated!

Thanks,

-Jonathan

Tor Salomonsen
August 20th, 2004, 12:58 AM
Press Ctrl-Alt-1. In the dialogue, select audio and then All. You'll see the long list of Sony's audio plug-ins for Vegas. There are 4 different EQs, track EQ, paragraphic EQ and parametric EQ and graphic EQ. Click-drag one of them and drop it on the Track FX button on your audio track head. The dialogue will open and you can adjust at will, or select a preset.
You can drop as many instances of the FX as you like, if you the one doesn't do what you want.
But if you have big noise problems, EQ may not be the best solution. Look into Sony Noise Reduction. It's great value.

Jonathan Gentry
August 20th, 2004, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the advice. Just one thing... I may have confused the issue. I'm looking for how to turn on a moving spectrum so I can see the frequencies coming from my speakers.

Thanks

Simon Wyndham
August 20th, 2004, 01:49 AM
I downloaded the demo version of the software. I have to admit it was seriously impressive! Though to make effective use of it I'll also need to buy myself a new laptop as well.

Jonathan Gentry
August 20th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Can anyone answer my question? Simply is there a spectrum analyzer (if that's the right term) built into Vegas that I can turn on to see the sound response through the frequency range.

Richard Alford
August 20th, 2004, 09:27 AM
I have material on a rendered DVD that I need to include in a new project. How can I use the material without recapturing the video output? Or can I?

THanks,

Rusty

Jesse Bekas
August 20th, 2004, 09:36 AM
I would have searched this, but it doesn't seem to be working for me right now...

Can anybody attest to the compatability, or lack thereof, between the two versions? I know they're designed to be so, but software isn't always friendly, even when written to be.

Also, is there any reason to keep Vegas 4 on a PC after installing 5? Was there any feature foolishly left out of 5, that was in 4, or any other reason to leave it?

Thx in advance for any replies...

Graham Bernard
August 20th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Comparison Chart Vegas 4 <> 5
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=913&FeatureID=7644

Grazie

Edward Troxel
August 20th, 2004, 09:59 AM
The two versions are totally independent from each other. I have both versions installed on a couple of machines. Either can be used on those machines. It does not matter if you uninstall Vegas 4 before installing Vegas 5, after installing Vegas 5, or simply leave it on the machine.

Jesse Bekas
August 20th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Is there any real advantage to leaving 4.0 on a machine though? Edward, you said you use both versions on a couple of machines. If you have 5, what are you doing in version 4 that is easier/better, that makes you save it?

Graham Bernard
August 20th, 2004, 10:28 AM
You can open V4 projects in V5 BUT you can't open V5 in V4. So once a V4 project is openned and SAVED in V5 that is it! You cannot open back in V4.

Why to keep both on machine? Ok supposing you are updating from V5a to V5b - like I did - I still had the option of working on NEW projects in V4 IF the update wasn't taling. Using the last or previous VERSION is a very good "safety-net" . . just in case .. yes?

.. ok one thing I miss from V4 is the pan crop arrow track showing me where the frame of video has come from and in what direction it will nbe going . ..

BUT one of the many many values for me in V5 has to be the creation of Subclip on the fly! MArevellous! .. THEN the 3d stuff and the PArent Child overhaul . . ..

.. . Grazie

Edward Troxel
August 20th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Actually, I said I *HAVE* both installed - didn't say I *USE* both. At this point I am strictly using 5 unless I'm helping someone who is using Vegas 4 and need to trade VEG files. (Also, I just haven't gotten around to removing 4 yet - plus it's not hurting anything sitting there).

Jesse Bekas
August 20th, 2004, 10:46 AM
AHHH HA! That's what I wanted to hear! :) . I am running a little low on room on the drive where I install programs, and wanted to dump 4 if I could, now I know that I really won't be losing anything by doing that. Thx for your speedy replies, Edward, and for all you've given the Vegas community.

PS - I was a Vegas guy, then got into Premiere because of its integration with AE and Photoshop (and liked the similarities to FCP), THEN, I picked up Vegas 4 again and remembered how awesome the audio control is, and figured with all the hoopla over version 5, and my newfound need for 24P and HD, Vegas might be the way to go again!...sorry so off topic...

Andre Andreev
August 20th, 2004, 11:05 AM
There is a simple method to achieve very impressive effect if your two "instances"s do not overlap each other.

In other words, instance A never stands between the camera and instance B and vice versa.

To achieve this, shoot both performances being careful to preserve the environment and make sure the instances would not throw shadows upon each other.

Then put the 2 performances in timelines above each other.

Using masking in Vegas you can dynamically change the "split screen" area so that instance A can go deep into instance B's part of the screen (as long as you keep the non-overlap condition)

This way you'll avoid the static half-screen performances which give away this type of effect.

In the case of both sitting on a couch, you can have A stand for a second reaching for a newspaper and B quickly put a pie on his seat (effectively reaching in the other part of the screen , WHILE it is being unoccupied.)

Ofcourse, you can go the path of chromakeying which has its drawbacks of needing a controlled environment.

I personally would rather have the subjects act in a natural and complex environment and choreograph their actions carefully.

Regards,
-- Andre

Tor Salomonsen
August 20th, 2004, 11:40 AM
No.

Bill Ravens
August 20th, 2004, 11:50 AM
get the Sony Noise Reduction plugin and/or Sound Forge. It will give you this visualization.

Jim Quinlan
August 20th, 2004, 11:55 AM
I just ordered DV Rack from seriousmagic after using the demo for a few weeks. It's great in my chromakey studio. I especially love the direct to disk option with immediate scrub/preview and all the tools to help calibrate the camera. I know immediately if my shots work or if I need another take.

The company also has excellent support.

Simon Wyndham
August 20th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Yes. When I downloaded the demo they even assigned someone to me to answer questions.

Now, I will most probably buy the software. But the problem is at the moment I won't be able to make the most of it on a shoot, especially at exterior locations, because I haven't got a laptop I can easily take around with me. :-(

Glenn Chan
August 20th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Waves makes a frequency analysis plug-in. ?SpectraFoo? also makes such a plug-in but it's very different. It plots frequency, time, and volume on a graph.

Cool Edit Pro and Audition have a frequency analyzer built-in.

You do not need a frequency analyzer type program/plug-in for noise reduction however, and your money is probably better spent on a noise reduction plug-in.

For infromation on noise reduction, check out:
http://www.digitalpostproduction.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=25455
The Art of Noise Reduction

Marcia Janine Galles
August 20th, 2004, 01:47 PM
OK, brought a new drive online, and whereas the Vegas Video Capture utility reads an internal drive that has 108 gigs left on it as having 7 hours available, the new firewire drive which has 490 gigs left on it, is only showing a little more than 12 hours available. What the heck? The drive is empty. Any hints on where to look to track down what's going on? The system can read this size drive just fine as I filled up its twin already (which is now working fine after previous crashes once I placed an external fan to blast away at it). No clue what the heck is going on with this one now though. (sigh)

I'm hesitant to start filling it if it's doing something funky. OTOH, I'm in a real time crunch, so having it down and unavailable for even a few hours is a major problem.

Thoughts?
Marcia

Edward Troxel
August 20th, 2004, 01:57 PM
What does Windows Explorer report as the free drive space? When you select that drive for capture, does the Vidcap Preferences show the full amount? I suppose it is very possible that Vidcap has a 12 hour limit on what it shows as free space. Try capturing on it and see if it stays at 12 hours for the first 25 hours.

Marcia Janine Galles
August 20th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Edward, Windows shows 467 gigs available. Vidcap preferences shows 490.23 (99%) gigs, which is part of what was driving me crazy as it reads only 12+ hours of capture time. Maybe you're right and it has an upper limit that then resets the time avail. as it fills. In all honesty, I hit the house after being gone most of 8 weeks in such a state of exhaustion (from production) that it's possible that the first 500 gig drive said the same thing when I fired it up and first began capturing to it, but that I was so wiped out I didn't notice.

Think I'll take the chance and start capturing. Will keep you posted. Thanks for the lightening fast response!
Marcia

P.S. Couldn't find anything that helped on the Sony site, but sometimes with the Knowlede Base I find that things are in there but that I'm not asking the right question. Maybe this is a "known" limitation?

Gino Montoya
August 20th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Hi.

I put several text titles on black background (using the media generator) on my project. Then added an invert FX on a clip. Everything looked ok.
I saved it, opend it up today and all the titles were blurred (as if looking at the words without glasses) and the invert effect was pixelated.
Anyone knows what's going on?

(the project is 24p - shot on a dvx100)

Ryan Gohlinghorst
August 20th, 2004, 05:42 PM
Is your preview quality set to "Best"? Sometimes having your preview quality set lower will make titles look terrible.

Jonathan Gentry
August 21st, 2004, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the direction. It just seems you would better know where to roll off your filters if you knew exactly where you noise was.

I'm going to look into these plug ins.

Thanks for everyones input, this place is awesome!

Barry Rivadue
August 21st, 2004, 09:11 AM
Can Adobe After Effects work with Vegas 5.0?