What if the sun stopped shining? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51

Area 51
We can neither confirm nor deny its existence.

Old October 14th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan View Post
I'm making a new short film and I would like to pick a few brains.

If the Sun shut down... how long would Earth have until the temperature became uninhabitable for life as we know it. From what I've read... we would have a few weeks. Just go with the the question, don't debate over how the Sun died. Opinions needed! Thanks, Mike
Ummm, if "the sun shut down" there would be big problems much quicker than a few weeks... the most significant one being we would (from the sun's perspective) be like a rock slung from a sling. Even ignoring the immediate and escalating cooler temperatures (a modest understatement), the atmosphere of our planet would steadily dwindle as centripetal force drops and the earth begins journeying out of our now non-solar system.

Freezing temperature, perpetual darkness, rapidly depleting air... the more I think about it, the worse the implications become. Sounds neat!

So hiding in a cave isn't gonna be enough... tho it would make a great visual metaphor for burying one's head in the sand.

Mr. Happy huh? On the plus side this is just idle speculation: I haven't bothered to verify any of it. So here's some fairly useless solutions you didn't ask for but I now feel obligated to provide as a counterbalance.

Perhaps aliens would rescue us. Or we drop icebergs into volcanoes to get more oxygen (I think Inconvenient Truth suggested this might also solve greenhouse problems, so doubleplus good for that idea). Or we nuke Jupiter instead of ourselves (it's been suggested Jupiter is a failed sun: enough things going boom might trigger it)... course, we'd have to find a way to get Earth to Jupiter, but one problem at a time.
Rob Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 09:28 PM   #62
Wrangler

Well it's certainly a good argument for making camcorders more sensitive in low light ... "Yeah but what if the Sun goes out? ... that's why I need a 1/2" chip in my camcorder. So it's better in those low light situations."
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:23 PM   #63
Major Player

Thanks for the help guys! I finished the short.

You can check out my latest short here based on the original topic... JOEL 3:15

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Mike
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:30 AM   #64
Regular Crew

I was reading and thinking why must the sun shut down? Why can't man have created something that when it gets to the ozone it causes a chain reaction which creates a solid/or gaseous dark layer around the planet which then causes the earth to lose all sunlight, this would mean no instant freeze or explosion or gravitational changes but the earth would start to cool since the heat from the sun hitting the oceans/land would cease. That may be a very plausible reason why it occurs, and it also allows for a longer timeline that can be believed. Just a thought, this I could see us doing.
Chris Klidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:56 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan View Post
Thanks for the help guys! I finished the short.

You can check out my latest short here based on the original topic... JOEL 3:15

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Mike
Very nice work, sorry I jumped in late and did not get to the last post when I first responded, but now I have, very nice.
Chris Klidonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Klidonas View Post
Very nice work, sorry I jumped in late and did not get to the last post when I first responded, but now I have, very nice.
Thanks!

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Area 51