ATOMOS Subforum? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old November 14th, 2011, 03:44 PM   #61
Major Player

Re: ATOMOS Subforum?

Peter...no worries, mate!

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #62
Trustee

Has anyone heard anything about the u.s. market receiving these? I've stopped nagging my vendor everyday so I need a new source to tie me over!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #63
Major Player

Marty...I believe that's why TapeWorks Texas, Inc. have offered a prize to the first person who can prove they've 'actually' received one.

I've done the same as you and stopped asking my vendor when I can expect delivery. What really aggravates me is I was told, by the Atomos CEO himself, Jeromy Young, "Production is complete and the first units which were ordered form Europe have shipped. The US will be receiving its first units Mid next week realistically depending on shipping and customs clearances. You will have it in the next 1 week, the product is performing very well." That statement was emailed to me on 11/04/2011 and, as you can see, no hardware.

I don't know what the deal is, but Atomos isn't helping their cause by 'promising' availability and then missing those dates. Even worse, they're not keeping their 'Distribution/Vendor' network 'in the loop'. I'm sure once the hardware is in the hands of those people who have been waiting for it (myself included), 'all will be forgiven', that is, of course, if it works as advertised.

I'm over it for now. If it arrives, fine. If not, that's fine, too. There's always the Gemini 4:4:4.

Regards,

J.
Old November 15th, 2011, 08:04 AM   #64
Trustee

James,

For my budget, the Gemini 4:4:4 is not an option at this point. Heck, I am lucky that the boss man hasn't put the kabash on the Samurai at this point. The "big" job that I needed it for has come and past, and we built the Samurai into that budget. Fortunately the client was okay with HDV quality material. I see the lack of detail and the limitations that HDV compression serves....the boss, not so much. I'm just patiently waiting as I see this as a very affordable opportunity to step up to a better codec at a very reasonable price. And....theoretically it should have a decent lifespan as it can move to a new camera when the time comes.

"Patience.....grasshopper.." I keep telling myself.
Old November 15th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #65
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Kuhn View Post
Marty...I believe that's why TapeWorks Texas, Inc. have offered a prize to the first person who can prove they've 'actually' received one.
Damn. Got pipped at the post by another Aussie. Thanks for the tip though.
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #66
Major Player

Peter...story of my life. 'Day late, and a dollar short.'. Heh, heh!

J.
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:34 AM   #67
Regular Crew

Latest from my supplier regarding UK shipping of the Samurai:

I have been liaising with our supplier and i'm sorry to say, that the Atomos Samurai has been delayed further.

The cables for the Samurai will be with our supplier on 25/11. Meaning, we should be in position to ship your order on 28/11.

Ho hum! D
Dominic Witherow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 05:56 AM   #68
Regular Crew

well guys, had my samurai for a week and so far it has been good, still some issues with analogue audio to sort out, and had to make lanc cable to run remote ( using it on a cannon xlh1), tommorrow is the big test - spending 10 hours in a small chopper (r44) filming a river system where we need to mark parts with a gps, so it will be a test in long form recording ( of course also recording tape - incase), will let you all know how it handles, will set the unit up in front so the pilot can see what we are shooting, wish me luck!
greg
Greg Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 06:30 AM   #69
Regular Crew

Good luck, Greg
Norbert Holzmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #70
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Waite View Post
well guys, had my samurai for a week and so far it has been good, still some issues with analogue audio to sort out, and had to make lanc cable to run remote ( using it on a cannon xlh1),greg
Greg,
I am also going to be using this with and XLh1 so I'd be interested in hearing what kind of issues you are currently dealing with. I intend on using the analog audio input also so I am hoping to avoid any pitfalls that you are aware.

Thanks.
Old November 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #71
Major Player

There is a new firmware being released for the Samurai which I'm told should be up on the Atomos website tomorrow whuch will address any audio issues and other tech fixes. I'm getting my M6-thread Samurai corrected tomorrow at Atomos. As I understand this only affected a few of the early units.

Last edited by Peter Corbett; November 16th, 2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo
Peter Corbett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #72
Trustee

What kind of issues are you experiencing with audio?
Old November 22nd, 2011, 01:37 PM   #73
Major Player

Peter Corbett...any reports on using the 'Samurai'? Since you are one of the few people who actually have the device, how do you like it, mate?

J.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 03:21 PM   #74
Major Player

I haven't had a chance to use it on a real shoot yet James. My DOP friend Tony Brennan has been testing the unit with S-log for the past week, and is pretty impressed. He said for what it does, it is hard to justify the extra expense of the PIX240. Once you add all the extras, the PIX is nearly twice the price. All said, the PIX240 is beautifully made, has a better screen and more features.

But for me, I just want a simple, lightweight solid 10-bit recording option out of the F3. I did some low light motion (panning) tests last week and the 10-bit samurai footage was clearly better than the internal XDCAM codec. The Samurai starts recording automatically once you start on the F3 record button and the pictures are VERY clean. I'm flying to Perth tomorrow for a day trip - 8 hours round trip :( to do a presenter piece to camera so I will shoot on the Samurai. On the weekend I'm shooting another TVC on S-log so I will be able to report back next week.

Overall the bang per buck is excellent with the Samurai. You get a nice case, batts, docking station, SSD cartridges, cables, charger, etc in the standard kit. Not many manufacturers do that.

Atomos do need to get their website and firmware support up to speed with the Samurai. I'd also like to see the unit ship with male/male SDI cables instead of the two included male/female leads. But it's looking promising.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:22 PM   #75
Major Player

Peter C. ...thanks for your usual thoughtful and timely response. I look forward to your 'real world' field trials with the 'Samurai' as I eagerly await the receipt of my unit (can you hear me Jeromy?). I hope my 'faith' is not misplaced, I've already invested in two (2) W-D 320GB HDD, one (1) W-D 500GB HDD, and one (1) Intel 160GB SSD in preps of receiving my 'Samurai'.

As luck would have it, I received a call from a friend of mine about a week ago and he wants me to collaborate with him on a Documentary product for Sundance. So, my urgency for this bit of kit has just increased by an 'order of magnitude'.

Keep us informed with your notional thoughts about the 'Samurai'. BTW, if you've got any 'pull' with the Atomos folks, tell them they've got people in the 'Colonies' wanting their equipment. Heh, heh!

Good luck with your 'shoots', mate!

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun