ATOMOS Subforum? - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun

Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun
HD-SDI field recorders supporting a variety of codecs.

Old November 22nd, 2011, 04:36 PM   #76
Major Player

Re: ATOMOS Subforum?

No pull with the colonies I'm afraid! I have been using the WD 500gb spinner which has been excellent and has exhibited no issues or dropped frames when swishing the camera around. I also have the 160gb Intel SSD on order, but it won't arrive before I head off to location.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM   #77
Regular Crew

For what it's worth, my months old order at B&H went from "pending" to "sent to warehouse" today. I like that change. We'll see if I get a shipping notification soon.
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:59 PM   #78
Major Player

To all...I saw a YouTube review of the 'Ninja' from the UK. It was a 'field' review, I was particularly impressed with how the gentleman turned off the recorder, kicked up the 'mid-level spreader' with his foot and moved-on to his next location. The fellow was using a Hitachi 'spinning disc' hard drive. Apparently 'spinning discs' are fairly robust.

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 07:29 AM   #79
Major Player

Looks like they are in stock at B&H this morning. I really wish it had 1080p 29.97 setting and I would be ordering one this week.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:00 PM   #80
Regular Crew

My Samurai is on its way. I got a call from my supplier this afternoon. I should have it by Wednesday next!
Phil
Phil Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:15 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Re: ATOMOS

well guys, have been using my samurai for a bit now:
did not work well in chopper - i think to much vibration... had it sitting on seat, but it was a small chopper so not a gereat test, it was dropping out of record after 10 - 15 sec. have used to shoot some commercials and a concert - vision is great, a little bit of difference in levels from tape and samurai.. still looking into that one. long form recording was good - longest clip was about 90 mins...but i can not get any analogue audio to record, going from audio out on my xlh1 to analogue audio in, can moniter audio, but it does not record...... have passed problem to atmos - lets see what happens...
also win xp (service pack 2) does not see the drive... am informed you need service pack 3... have not done that as yet.....
is anyone else using with an xlh1?
greg
Greg Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 10:53 PM   #82
Major Player

Greg...great news! Thanks for the 'field report'. Got a question. Were you using a 'spinning disc' HDD or a solid state SSD? If it was dropping out using an SSD, that's a bit disappointing, but there are limitations to everything.

Since I can only live vicariously through others, until my vendor gets it 'in-stock', please keep those 'field reports' coming.

J.
Old November 24th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #83
Regular Crew

using spinning disk... i think a solid stae will be needed for some shoots....hopefully price will come down on them soon....
greg
Greg Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #84
Major Player

Will it record at 29.97??
Old November 24th, 2011, 09:59 AM   #85
Major Player

Thanks Greg! I suspect using an SSD in that application, i.e., high vibration environment, would have been a better choice. I bought an Intel X25 160GB SSD in preps for receiving my 'Samurai', just for those occasions where vibration is a problem.

Thanks for the timely response.

J.
Old November 24th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Porter View Post
Will it record at 29.97??
No recording at 29.97 is not an option for me. If they don't provide this option I will have to go with the nanoflash.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #87
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Willis View Post
No recording at 29.97 is not an option for me. If they don't provide this option I will have to go with the nanoflash.
I will too.
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #88
Major Player

Jerry/Bob...since I'm a 'video Newbie', I don't understand why 29.97 frame-rate is so important. This question is probably really stupid, but I'm trying to understand why certain 'specific' frame-rates, like 29.97, are so desirable.

Thanks,

J.
Old November 24th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #89
Major Player

I need to be able to record in whatever format my client requires whether that is 24p,30p or 60i. Nearly all broadcast clients want footage supplied in a 1080 30p format. Therefore I need to be able to record at 29.97 to have the ability to offer my clients what they need.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #90
Major Player

29.97 is broadcast standard.
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > Atomos Ninja / Samurai / Shogun