Movies We Didn't Like. - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 28th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #61
Regular Crew

i catch a lot of gruff for this, but i can't stand BLADE RUNNER.
and i'm a science fiction movie fan, and a big fan of Harrison Ford's early acting.

i get the argument that it's "true" science fiction instead of "science fiction as the background for a story" (i.e. star wars, etc.) but i don't care how original the science fiction is.
it's just a bad movie. bad writing, bad dialogue, bad acting, bad lots of stuff. (I also get that the main character's acting "should" be a little wooden, since the whole thing is an exploration of the fact that the humans are less human than the replicas...... WHATEVER)

the only thing it has going for it in my opinion is great atmosphere. it has that in spades, but for the life of me, i cannot
figure out why everyone thinks it's such a seminal science fiction film. YUK!
Ryan Martino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:44 PM   #62
Machinist Mate

"bowling for columbine"...simply awful in every way.

It is clear that the only reason it got the oscar in the documentary category is that Michael Moore is held in high political foavor by the members of the academy.

It is not even a documentary, but a crude, deceptively edited low-quality diatribe with a "hate America first" agenda.

I could be charitable and call it a satire or comedy, but that would be unfair to "This Is Spinal Tap" or "A Mighty Wind" or "Best In Show" which are truly funny mockumentaries.
Old April 29th, 2004, 07:49 PM   #63
Major Player

I loved it.. Moore rules. ;-)
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 08:45 PM   #64
Major Player

-Moore is infact full of it. i dont know why they havnt revoked his oscar.

I dont like Mulholland Drive, made absoloutly no sense to me, strangely enuf i liked lost highway.

I thought mad max was long and boring.

Matrix 2 and 3 are pathetic and they should rename matrix 2,"Matrix 2, The Exposition"

Entropy , some film with stephen dorph.

From Dusk till Dawn, - didnt like the way it went horror, but i dont like horror anyway.
Spy kids 3 - need i say more

Anything with puppets in it like Dark Crystal.
Jackie Brown,

supertroopers is not good too.
Ben Gurvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #65
Machinist Mate

"i dont know why they havnt revoked his oscar."
real simple, the same reason they gave it to him to begin with...the Hollyweird establishment sheeple who make these decisions all (mostly all) love his moronic bolshevik arse. They think like he does and share his radical politics, and it's real cool and hip to vilify America and Americans. And anyone in the film industry who dissents to this lockstep does so at the risk of his career.

Whether the picture was good or awful (it's the latter) it is certainly not a documentary. Hell, by the standards they applied, Harry Potter is a documentary about English boarding schools! (hee hee)

And even conceding the category, the film was not eligible for the award in the year it was granted, because its distribution timing was wrong to be nominated in that year. Oh well, more powerful people than me made this selection.
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #66
Air China Pilot

We had this debate a long time ago like after last year's Oscars. Please do a search and save us the trouble of dragging it out again.
Old April 30th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #67
Kevin Walsh

Hmm. I loved Jackie Brown. What's not to like about that one?
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:51 PM   #68
Machinist Mate

Not a debate, just an attempt at a theory to solve Ben's mystery. And my guess is as good as anybody's. hahahaha

Now, the question from Kevin about Jackie Brown, that could be the opener of a debate. But I can't help you guys there, I haven't seen it.

Actually, Joe has been kind enough to favor us with another thread for those who are fans of Columbine or Jackie (again, i don't know about that one) or any other steamers mentioned here, and it's called: "Movies you like but shouldn't have"...

And I like Joe's rules: no flames, nobody is wrong or stupid, etc.

Oh yes, and back to movies I hated, let's try Blair Witch Project.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #69
Kevin Walsh

No flame intended, I was just curious about what he didn't like with Jackie Brown. The lo-o-ng shots, the script, the acting, what? It's an unusual movie and there's lots of room for opinion. I agree that there are no right or wrong answers here.
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #70
Major Player

Dunno just didnt like it.

Kill Bill was pretty damn good,
cant wait to watch the sequal.

My Fav Tarantino Films in Order.

Four Rooms
Kill Bill
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
From Dusk till Dawn
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:22 AM   #71
Major Player

Tarantino didn't make From dusk to dawn. Only acted. That's Roberto Rodriguez.
Since he claims that Kill Bill was his fourth movie, I'm not sure what's the deal with Four Rooms either.. Anybody?
Alfred Okocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 05:51 AM   #72
Major Player

He wrote the screen play.
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:05 AM   #73
Wrangler

Actually, Four Rooms had four directors and four screenwriters. Tarantino wrote and directed the "The Man from Hollywood" segment. Allison Anders, Alexandre Rockwell, and Robert Rodriguez wrote and directed "The Missing Ingredient," "The Wrong Man," and "The Misbehavers."

Drawing influence from other films (as in all his works), Tarantino looked to "The Man From Rio," an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, which, in turn, finds its pedigree from the Roald Dahl short story "The Man from the South." This would explain Roald Dahl's credit in Four Rooms.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:10 AM   #74
Old Boot

Hated Lord of the Things

I hated the first of the Tolkien's so much I wont see the others. Sorry. Too much, too often. Too visually rich for me. . . . I must be the only one on the Planet . . there again I loved Paris Texas and Rumble Fish.. . well, that figures I guess . . . oh yeah, loved Toy Story 1 . . .
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2004, 04:15 PM   #75
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Keith Loh : We had this debate a long time ago like after last year's Oscars. Please do a search and save us the trouble of dragging it out again. -->>>

? ? ? ? ? ?
John Hudson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark