Unhappy about new Star Trek movie - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:49 AM   #16
Major Player

I grew up with TNG so I always have a special place for it. I enjoyed the predictability and morals lessons, but mostly I enjoyed the style of cinematography. DS9 matched it in quality for sure and it was just as good, but a few of the actors never clicked with me. Voyager had great potential and pretty decent story ideas, but the acting was just awful.

I don't know much about Abrams other than that I watch Lost religiously (since I caught the pilot on a secret cable channel 2 months before it was even announced) and Alias is dull. The studios love him because he's got strong momentum right now. Doing a feature film with the potential for failure could pretty easily make or break him, so I guess we'll find out if he's competent soon enough.
Jad Meouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 03:36 AM   #17
Outer Circle

Quote:
Voyager had great potential and pretty decent story ideas, but the acting was just awful.
I agree. The acting was awful!
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2006, 05:28 AM   #18
Major Player

What I find so sad about the "new Trek" (and other concepts like it) is that Hollywood is getting so stale! They can't come up with an original idea so let's re-make an old one and beat it to death. Bad enough they'll do 10 sequels that just drone out the original storyline but, when they finally realize that end is used up, "Hey! Let's make a PREquel!...and a prequel to the prequel!" Good grief...

Don't get me wrong. I love Star Trek; anything and everything about it. I grew up with the adventures of Kirk and Spock and the gang. I was a closet Trekkie (or "Trekker" depending on your generation) for many, many years. Mind you, I never did (never would) dress up in a uniform and parade around a convention spouting Klingon and debating the nth level of detail of episodes...not that there's anything wrong with that.... But, I did my fair share of collecting (thanks to the "Mint" people).

And I still get the biggest kick out of seeing all the "Trek" references in shows and everyday life. When Shatner flipped open his cell phone, on "Boston Legal," and it made the communicator sound I about fell out of my chair laughing. And nobody can dispute the technology and the ideals that Roddenberry introduced into our culture. He was like the Jules Verne of our generation. We still need visionaries like him.

But, did we really need "Voyager"?, "Enterprise", or about HALF of TNG? I'm truly surprised there hasn't been a DS9 movie come out. It's like they've completely abandoned that path, and it was a fresh idea to the original story. Why can't they make a movie from the other perspective? Show how Romulans live and understand why they don't turn tail every time the Enterprise comes aknockin'.

Well, to me, it all comes down to good storytelling. And, if Abrams can pull that off, more power to him. It's a shame, though, he chose Trek to breathe new life into and not help out Joss Whedon and his wonderful series. That guy needs SOMEbody up there to champion his show before the actors all find some other commitment. A space western....now THERE's an idea!
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:05 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Emms
Token Alien crew member: Enemy materializing off the port bow. He's firing. We're hit, warp engines are offline
(We can't run away).
Captain: Henson, evasive maneuvers.
(Missiles with alien technology are confused by wobbly motion, luckily star trek fans are not),
Henson 2: At age 7 (What Einstein did in his lifetime, infants will do before breakfast) I did my thesis on the internal structure of red giant stars, if we can modify a photon torpedo, we can induce an eta-beta-pi plasma inversion that will create a solar flare.
Captain: Make it so/Engage/All ahead full (delete as appropriate)
The Alien ship is destroyed, only having advanced alien shields, the enterprise having American shields is undamaged.
All: Hooray!
(etc.)
(All eat pancakes.)

Anyone care to add to this?

This has been popular in the past, maybe what this hack series needs is a hack director to breath life back into it (and us to write it for him).
All of this is what makes Galaxy Quest my second favorite "Trek" movie. ;)
(Can't help it ... still love Kahn.)
Old April 24th, 2006, 09:16 AM   #20
Capt. Quirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Slonaker
Well, to me, it all comes down to good storytelling. And, if Abrams can pull that off, more power to him. It's a shame, though, he chose Trek to breathe new life into and not help out Joss Whedon and his wonderful series. That guy needs SOMEbody up there to champion his show before the actors all find some other commitment. A space western....now THERE's an idea!
Believe it or not, that was Roddenbery's original idea for Trek- A wagontrain to the stars, is how he pitched it. He was an ex cop, turned western writer.
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:14 PM   #21
Air China Pilot

There was a space western. It was called "Firefly".
Old April 25th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #22
Major Player

That would be why Edward said it after mentioning Joss Whedon Keith ;)

I thought I'd read somewhere that A space western was how Lucas originally pitched starwars. Maybe my memory is faulty.
Marvin Emms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #23
Capt. Quirk

Yes Keith, I know all about Firefly, it was great. Even the movies was excellent.
Old April 25th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #24
Major Player

Meanwhile these folks are continuing to produce new shows in the original series:

http://www.newvoyages.com/

Shooting it in an old car dealership on an XL-1
Bill Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #25
Air China Pilot

Originally I didn't find the idea of the western and space all that appealing and gave the series a miss. But now that I've seen the entire series on DVD (after seeing the movie) I'm sad that it didn't get more of a chance.
Old April 25th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #26
Jubal 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ball
Meanwhile these folks are continuing to produce new shows in the original series:

http://www.newvoyages.com/

Shooting it in an old car dealership on an XL-1
Yeah. They think they're creating "real" Star Trek.
David Jimerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #27
Outer Circle

I really miss the good old days coming home from school and turning on the TV to watch Captain Kirk and Dr.Who. I hate TV now. It's so boring.
Old April 26th, 2006, 03:18 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Granovski
I really miss the good old days coming home from school and turning on the TV to watch Captain Kirk and Dr.Who. I hate TV now. It's so boring.
I miss the good old days of coming home from school and turning on the radio to listen to Superman and Capt. Midnight. TV extinguished all those great programs and gave us a bunch of mindless pap instead. It took 20 years before the content of TV came even close to what had been produced for radio. Well actually, a few early TV shows like Omnibus, You Are There and Ernie Kovaks were really good. When Ed Sullivan had people like Beatrice Lilly and Billy deWolfe on stage, it was the best. I guess it wasn't all that bad, come to think of it, but I still miss those radio dramas.
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2006, 05:08 AM   #29
Outer Circle

CBC Radio sometimes replays some of the good old stuff.
Old April 26th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #30
Wrangler

I miss the good old days of shadow puppet shows and hitting sticks with rocks. Radio ruined everything.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark