Unhappy about new Star Trek movie - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old April 26th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Loh
Originally I didn't find the idea of the western and space all that appealing and gave the series a miss. But now that I've seen the entire series on DVD (after seeing the movie) I'm sad that it didn't get more of a chance.
ditto. Nearly eveyone I talk to has the same story about this show. Strange. I actually felt sad that there wasn't more when I came to the end of it. I don't think I've ever felt that way about any TV show before.
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #32
Outer Circle

So, this new Star Trek movie. Where will it be filmed and what will be the budget? Also, who will be the main actors? I hope Tom Cruz won't be playing the captain. :-)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:17 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Granovski
So, this new Star Trek movie. Where will it be filmed and what will be the budget? Also, who will be the main actors? I hope Tom Cruz won't be playing the captain. :-)
Oh, that would get an award; him jumping up and down on the captain's chair pronouncing his love for Yeoman Rand.....
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #34
Air China Pilot

Then we could have Oprah in place of Guinan.
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #35
Capt. Quirk

And Rosie Odonnel as Data?
Old April 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #36
Outer Circle

Good charactors to make it flop. Don't forget Mr. Neilson from Naked Gun. He could replace Scotty. Scotty was a Canadian, by the way.
Old April 27th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #37
Air China Pilot

Not only that, Scotty was at D-Day!
Old April 27th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #38
Outer Circle

And he was born in Vancouver (or Victoria). :)

Who would be good to replace Spook? Dillan?
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:15 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Abrams a hack?

Don't know if I agree with your assessment of JJ Abrams. Alias and Lost rock pretty hard and the word is that MI:3 is pretty awesome as well. I actually dig JJ running things. As for the story.....yeah I'm not crazy about that either.

Chris Watson
Watson Videography
Chris M. Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #40
Major Player

For me Alias started out pretty well, and while the whole SD-6/Double Agent/Father/CIA thing was satisfactory as a coathanger for each episode it was more the action, the wild costumes, the sets and Garner herself that held my attention.

By the time of the 3rd series, the wild costumes were next to nonexistant, the sets had blurred into each other, Garner's sexuality on screen was toned down with other people taking up that part, we'd ditched SD-6 as the bad guys in favour of a series of more sinister and increasingly less plausable groups and the plot started to hang more more on Abrams central Rambaldi conspiricy. With futuristic technology, prophecy and dark motives supposidly coming from a 500 year dead genius who is DaVinci in everything but name, and charectars betraying each other everytime an episode is short of a cliffhanger (or the dead! Not now! Dead again! Still dead...or are they?) the more it seemed to me like Abrams is a really corny writer. I stopped watching a while ago.

Lost I never bothered with, but the law suit that it was stolen from a script with similar plot presented to the same channel for a series with the same name 20 years ago is mighty suspicious. I'm guessing that must still be in the legal pipeline.

I think Abrams and Trek should be very happy together.
Marvin Emms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2006, 04:06 PM   #41
Outer Circle

Law suit? Do you have a link for this? I'd be interested in reading about that.
Old April 29th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #42
Major Player

One page is,

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...html?rsslatest

By searching for the names in there, I'm sure a thousand websites will come up. I remeber reading some details as to exactly what this guy had claimed to have written.

Either way, even if this Anthony Spinner did not originate the whole thing himself, it does suggest that what we have now was merely adapted from a much earlier ABC series proposal.
Marvin Emms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:26 AM   #43
Major Player

Star Trek needs reimagined, like they did with Battlestar Galactica. Maybe first contact can be with the Klingons instead of the Vulcans. Earth would be under brutal Kilingon control, until a war with the Romulans crushes the empire and gives humanity the opportunity to rise up against the Klingons. Once humans start out into space, they encounter the Vulcans, who are unwilling to help the struggling humans as they plant the seeds of the UFP. Kirk would be a leader of the rebellion, Spock an outcast who aids humans (and is seen by many humans as a spy, but Kirk trusts him).

I just pulled that out of my hat, but I probably gave it more thought than the people planning this Starfleet Academy thing.
Jason Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:33 AM   #44
Major Player

Definitely like the "darker" Star Trek idea there, Jason. Explores the whole "Mirror, Mirror" episode as a series.....hmmmm.....
www.elpilon.com
Edward Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:37 AM   #45
Capt. Quirk

The Mirror Mirror Universe is a cool idea, but Jason just redisoverd Enterprise. We all know how well that worked out. I was probably one of the few that enjoyed it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark