Unhappy about new Star Trek movie - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Awake In The Dark
What you're watching these days on the Big Screen and the Small Screen.

Old May 7th, 2006, 08:56 AM   #61
Slash Rules!

Let me put it this way-- I could turn on Voyager, or TNG, and get into it, pretty much any episode. You try to do that with DS9, you're pretty much lost without knowing everything that came before that particular episode. That's what I meant.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:43 AM   #62
Wrangler

Shoot there's enough Star Trek fans around here to shoot a half way decent movie, and star in it as well.

Joe, that Section 31 idea is brilliant, you can dip into the Star Trek world without ever messing it up. And it's a lot more sophisticated than the traditional time travel "oh hey it's fixed now" plot.
Old May 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #63
Air China Pilot

Joe isn't the only person to suggest a Section 31-themed show. That idea has been kicked around every Star Trek board since the end of DS9. You can bet it's been pitched by writers.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:06 PM   #64
Wrangler

I fell asleep in the theatre during "Nemesis," but that doesn't mean I won't go see another crappy Trek movie. It's what Trek fans do. Besides, the worst Trek movie (The Final Frontier) beats that Star Wars stuff all to pieces. ;)

All of them--series and movies--had their good points (although, I did give up on Enterprise). I laughed at TOS as a kid, but then when my own kid got into it I got into it, too. I bet I've seen "The Tholian Web" and "The Doomsday Machine" a hundred times. Each.

With all of Star Trek, the attention to technical details astounded me (ever looked at ship schematics and the ST encyclopedia?). And I credit ST with helping my son have a great vocabulary at an early age!

They've all been good entertainment through the years, so I'll check out anything that comes along.

p.s. Edward, if you haven't seen it yet, be sure and catch the rerun of Boston Legal where Denny & Alan go to save the salmon. There's a great Trek reference! And btw, we've got the tri-dimensional chess set from "the mint" people, too! LOL!
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #65
Inner Circle

Micheal, Keith, just what are we waiting for? We don't actually need Paromounts permission to do an original work based on Section 31. I know Keith has the writing chops to create a great script.
Finally use Celtx for what it's designed for, hehehe.

What say? Any other takers?
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #66
Slash Rules!

Sorry, I just watch it. I don't write it. But thanks for the invite. Be sure to include a race of all female, always-nude aliens.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #67
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
P.S. I met Brent Spiner once. I won't tell you where. He was cool, but I get the impression he's an ass in real life. Mostly 'cause of the documenatry "Trekkies."
He wasn't that nice a person at the Trek convention. Sarcastic and condecending. Maybe he's just tired ot the whole 'Data' thing.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:37 PM   #68
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass
Sorry, I just watch it. I don't write it. But thanks for the invite. Be sure to include a race of all female, always-nude aliens.
You mean include lots and lots of Orion slave girls? Hmmmm, not a bad idea, but would probably distract from the story.
Old May 8th, 2006, 01:06 AM   #69
Slash Rules!

I thought he was pretty cool there.

I just get that impression of him.

I hope he's not tired of the whole data thing. What else does he have? Playing the guy who made data? Oh no wait, he's also got the role of the villain in "Master of Disguise" to brag about.
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #70
Outer Circle

You know, the worst episode of Enterprise had to be the very last. They should have given it a glorious ending such as the ones with DS9 and Voyager---a deserving last nail in the Enterprise coffin.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 04:26 AM   #71
RED Code Chef

Coun't me in Joe!

The Enterprise ending was definitely the worst, but I wasn't too fond of the
Voyager ending either. I felt cheated and it ended too soon in my opinion.
Felt like they were trying to end up some loose ties too fast in the last couple
of episodes.

Just re-saw the TNG ending which I liked better. Need to re-watch DS9, can't
remember how that ended (NO, do NOT tell me!) exactly. Perhaps I can rent
the show or something.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #72
Regular Crew

Voyager should have ended with Janeway waking up in bed. Then Patrick Duffy walks out of the shower.

It was all a dream...
Daniel J. Wojcik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #73
Slash Rules!

How'd enterprise end, again?
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:05 AM   #74
RED Code Chef

Josh: in the future with Riker and Troi (I think) watching events unfold on the holodeck

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:11 AM   #75
Trustee

Just random comments...

Is the next movie an odd or even? If it is 10, see it. Or was Nemesis 10 and ruins the whole odd/even Trek theory? (the even numbered ones are the good ones.)

"the acting was poor". You guys have been behind the lens long enough to know that only with new talent do you have bad acting. Experienced talent can act badly (phone it in), but it is the director's fault if it makes it to the screen. The director is the one who allows any acting to be bad.

Hopefully, remembering their roots, the Wagon Train through the sky still has life in it. Caveat - NO, Brokeback Mountain is not acceptable Trek material.

I liked them all. Enterprise, I watched the first season. But the formula is so well worn, that it gets boring when you can predict the rest of the episode accurately within the first 5 minutes. I quit watching.

Edit - Oh, forgot script props they will use in the next movie.

I know the Kobayoshi Marua (or how ever you spell it) and the aquarium/whale instititute in SFO will be referenced.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Awake In The Dark