GOING INSANE trying to import/export in Premiere CS6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old December 20th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GOING INSANE trying to import/export in Premiere CS6

I own a Sony F3, a Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 and CS6. Im trying to get the best way to edit the data that comes off the hyperdeck in premiere on PC. The original footage, be it ProRes, Uncompressed or MXF DNXHD looks stunning in VLC Player.

As soon as I import it into Premiere, I get jagged edges. Not only in preview but also as an exported video, no matter what format I export it to. The only exception is BMP stills. The only codec that seems to work without jagged edges is the QUICKTIME DNXHD Codec. With that one I get jagged edges only in preview. The exported files are flawless but I get the famous DNXHD gamma shift problem with the Quicktime version of DNXHD, so its not an option either.

Does anyone have a solution to this, PLEASE!?
Attached Thumbnails
GOING INSANE trying to import/export in Premiere CS6-untitled-1.jpg  
Matthias Sachal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: GOING INSANE trying to import/export in Premiere CS6

silly question... what resolution are you exporting?

matter o fact, spell out all your encode settings if you please. record settings as well. sure that you have your project settings match your record settings, frame blend turned off, shooting and exporting progressive, etc..
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:35 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Reording in 1080/25P, exporting in 1080/25P

Sequence Settings are XDCAM422 108025P as there are no Presets for DNXHD or Prores in Premiere. Then I let te recorded Clips decide the Sequence Sttings, so that I dont get a red render bar.

As I said, exporting in DNXHD Qucktime works with no visible quality loss, but theres the gamma shift
Matthias Sachal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Don't use ANY presets and delete all existing sequences. When you start a new project, just cancel when it tries to get you to choose a sequence preset, and Premiere will open without any sequences created. Now import your Shuttle footage. Right click one of your clips and select "new sequence from clip". Premiere will automatically create the proper sequence.

Try is and report back.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 01:48 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Mathias, I'm also curious if it worked out. Can you post a comment?
Ron Aerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Trustee

I have to say how quite annoying it is when someone posts an issue and doesn't bother to report back on it...

I will be using Hypdeck with Premiere in the weeks to follow and am curious to know if this is common issue and what the resolution was.

sigh
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #7
New Boot

+1 Me too, I have a big shoot next week!! I also use Premier Pro CS6 on Windows.

Although, someone did way allowing the clip to determine the sequence settings is something I've always done. Just seems the right way, rather than pressing and guessing with the format selector!!

Pete

Last edited by Peter Kay; February 10th, 2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: To add a subscription e-mail
Peter Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #8
Trustee

I had a chance to do some of my own testing importing various files from the Hyperdeck shuttle 2 to CS6 Premiere.

For me importing QT ProRes, QT DNxHD, and QT Uncompressed were no problems. For DNxHD however you will need to download the drivers/codec for your O/S for it to work.

The Avid DNxHD you will not be able to import natively to CS6 since it is meant for Avid. I'm sure there's a re-wrapper for it, but why would you bother if you have the QT DNxHD version anyway.

I opened a Sony XDCAM EX default project as usual for my F3 and dropped the clips to the timeline without issues. I did not experience any jaggies or gamma shifts as being reported here.
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Sorry for not reporting back on the issue. Im currently editing in Final Cut Pro, where the Problem ist non existant. Anyhow, I choose to grade my Stuff in Premiere, because of the better range of grading plugins. Im still having the same Problem. ProRes exported just fine from Final Cut. Importing it in Premiere, and then just exporting causes jagged edges on the material. I cant believe Premiere butchers the insanely sharp footage and puts out crap. its unbelievable...
Matthias Sachal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > External Video Recording Solutions > BlackMagic Design HyperDeck Shuttle