No heating - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 18th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Philippe Archibald View Post
I got mine last wensday (firmware 1.07) and did exactly what bill does. I recorded on my 2 16 gb cards, so about 1h30 of video at 24p without any heating warning.
i think from previous threads the issue was 'almost' exclusively with 60p.. we should be pretty safe with other framerates (well for sure i'll be safe in holland!)

About the 7d not showing up on the PC, ive read this before and was because of not installing the software, not the same as the 5d that (i think) shows up as a drive, did you install the CD Bill?

Last edited by Manus Sweeney; October 18th, 2009 at 01:59 AM.
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #17
Major Player

Sorry couldn't get back to you earlier Bill. I wanted to be absolutely sure I had no issues before replying.

Shot in HOT HOT HOT hawaiian sun in 1080 24p for 2 days. Not a single issue. Filled up over 100GBs. Pushed both of my 7Ds to the limit and not a single issue.

Love this camera :).
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #18
Contributor

Manus, yeah I did the installation. There's probably something I overlooked there.

Randy--great news about the lack of heat in the sun. It could be that the heating has been only specific to some models and hopefully those guy can get it resolved. As far as I'm concerned, it's a non-issue, at least for 1080p/24. I plan to see what it does in 720p/60 eventually, but that doesn't concern me much. I am working on a short where a couple of slomo shots might be nice, but they won't be long runs. If I were shooting sports, I'd have to check this out very carefully.

Unfortunately, the gloomy overcast skies are gone here today and it's bright and sunny. Unfortunate because the only ND filter I have for my matte box is a .3. I have a black softnet too that eats a little bit of light, so I'll throw both of those on and stop way down and see if I can shoot some more tests outside.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #19
Regular Crew

To help nudge this back on topic, I have shot for extended periods(over 45 min) in 1080 30p mode and have not seen the warning light again. For those who haven't read the other heating thread, I had the light pop up on a long 720 60p shooting test. I have considered sending the camera back and/or contacting Canon, but I don't think this will effect any real-world shooting I am likely to do. So, I'm just going to keep this minor limitation in mind for future use. If it becomes an issue during next summer's hotter days I may end up sending it in for warranty repair.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #20
Major Player

Adriin,

You say a long 60fps test and the temp icon came on. Can you tell us exactly how long it worked before the heat issues? Sports is one of the things I will need 60fps, as well as FX for ads and movie. I cannot go out on the field and say I need a second take after the camera cools down. I cannot tell the client we have to wait for the camera to cool down. Especially when they pay by the hour. Because of these reasons, this camera cannot be considered for professional use.

I am happy for those that only need standard fps and are willing to limit their work and creativity. But, as a professional for many years, I feel it is important to have all the tools that work to get the job done and not miss or lose any work. This 7D is advertised as shooting 60fps. The Canon ads should also have within the same paragraph the statements about heat issues and limits you will have and the length of time it will work before you must let it cool down or lose quality in the image. Printing it in the manual in a discreet manner and then finding out "after you buy the camera" is not a good way of doing business in my opinion, and I then lose faith in the manufacturer. This reminds me of Panansonic refusing to say what size sensors were in their cameras a few years back. Later, we all found out they used the smallest sensors among their competition.

The subject of this thread needs to be changed to "no heat unless you need 60fps". To only say no heat is misleading and covering up all the truth.
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Alex,

Don't get me wrong this is an excellent camera and I'm very satisfied overall. However if I was going to be shooting exclusively in 60p, I'm not sure if it's within reason for it to show a warning icon after filling up one and a half 8g cards. It may be that my particular camera is more prone to it than others. If this occurs within normal usage for me I will be sending the camera in for repairs.

I shot 60p for just under 40 mins in a 76 degree room before the light came on. Then I switched over to 1920x1080 30p and had no issues with another full card at that frame rate. Mind you, I stopped the camera as soon as the light came on to prevent damage, so I don't know if there is any IQ degradation at that temperature. I will be sure to update future trials and tribulations with this awesome camera, as I think this is one of the best tools for capturing imagery I've owned thus far.
Adrinn Chellton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #22
Major Player

Adrinn,

You say 40 minutes at 60p before the temp warning and this is what I wanted to know. I understand everything else and I appreciate the information form an end user.
Alex Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I've had my 7d for a few weeks now. When the heat warning light issue came up I ran my camera for about 1 hr 20 minutes or so pointed at a tv with no problems in around 70 F temps.

This past weekend I shot for about 50 minutes in temps a little under 70 F. Went to lunch, came back and shot another 80-90 minutes. Got the warning light around 50 minutes and again about 20 minutes later. We only gave the camera a few minutes rest after the warning lights.

Temps were definitely under 70 C so I'm contemplating what to do. With the 5D mk ii firmware update announcement, I may go for a 2nd used 5D mkii and sell the 7D. The low light is much better on the 5d is much better and I do like the photo quality. Since we were warned on the 5D, it is somewhat bothersome with the 7D and it's two processors.
Jim Froom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #24
New Boot

Well it's not 60fps only that it is limited to.

We shot a wedding last weekend and had it come up halfway through the (l o n g) ceremony. Tried it again last night just sitting in the lounge room - ambient temp about 25C.
After only 20 - 21 mins (that's 12 mins after which it stopped and we just restarted it right away then another 8-9 mins) we got the temperature warning coming up.

We are in PAL land here and shoot in 25 fps at 1080 hd.

It's a bit of a disappointment as the 5ds we used never had any issues.

It is just my camera? Should I take it back and try another one?

Some clips from what we shot are here in case you are interested:

Last edited by Shane Kerr; October 25th, 2009 at 08:53 PM. Reason: missed 1 stupid letter
Shane Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 03:29 AM   #25
Major Player

A good friend of mine is planning a shoot in a tropical jungle with temps of 100 degrees F and 85% humidity. My interpretation of everything that I've read is that it'll be risky to use the 7D in that environment, even if they only shoot 1080/25p (we're in PAL land). What do you guys think? They'll need to travel very light so won't be able to take a 2nd camera body as backup.

If I were him, I'd seriously consider a Panasonic GH1 shooting 720/50p. I haven't heard anyone have overheating issues with the GH1, plus it has a lovely EVF.
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Replacement cam heating up as well????

I just picked up my replacement 7D. My first unit which was heating up in 30 minutes or less of continuos shooting.

Ran a test with the new 7D in 1920 30 format air temp 75 degrees. SS 30, f2.8, ISO 5000. It ran through 12GBs before I looked up to see the flashing red icon. Shut it down for 2 minutes and ran it again for another 5 minutes before it started flashing again. Still well under an hour before heating icon flashes.

I am reading reports that this is not the case with all 7Ds. Not sure what course of action to take. I would really like to invest in lenses and a rig for the cam but I am a bit dismayed to see this icon again.

I really did not put the first cam through any real work because my dealer said it needed to be in total mint condition in order to get my replacement. I shoot action sports so I have been sticking to the EX1. This indoor testing in a controlled environment has been my primary experience with the 7D.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:28 AM   #27
Major Player

what card are you using?
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #28
Regular Crew

I am using an 8GB DELKIN CF Pro. I had posted about the possibility of this being a CF card but some one had responded stating that the card should not make a difference. Any info on this would be welcomed.

I ran a second test thus morning. Same temperature of 75 degrees, SS 60, f2.8, ISO1000. I changed the format to 1920 24. The camera recorded for 2 hours and 20 minutes continuously before the overheat icon came on. A more positive result than the 1920 30 test I did yesterday. Next I will repeat these test again using an external monitor to see what difference losing some LCD heat can make.

Doing my best to objectively test the 7D to figure out if this unit is indeed more hot tempered than other units.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #29
Major Player

Just got the overheating warning for the first time. 1080 24p with about 20 minutes of talking head shooting. My mistake was I didn't have a white towel over the camera as it was being hit with sunlight at sunset the whole time. I am SURE that if it was covered, it wouldn't have appeared.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Randy

Sounds like you are shooting in similar conditions to what I want to use the 7D in . Can you describe the work flow you did for the couple of days shooting 100GBs. Was it start and stop that allowed the camera to have little breaks here or there or were you shooting for extended periods that kept the cam rolling for longer takes. I would like to get a feel for how hard you were able to push the 7D without the heat icon.

Thanks for any info
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD