No heating - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 28th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #31
Major Player

Hey Guys we had over heat issues with the previous firmware and right now with the most recent update everything looks good so far.
I will report if I see it again.
Jose Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #32
Major Player

Starting and stopping off and on for about 8 hours or so in the sun. It wasn't running continuously the whole time.

Keep in mind, if I would have put a white towel on the camera, I'm pretty sure the icon wouldn't have came up.

Did it again this past weekend and it was only during that one portion of the day it came on.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 04:12 AM   #33
Major Player

We need some stats!

OK, this is getting confusing. It seems there are several possibilities for why some people are getting the overheating error and some are not: ambient temp, firmware, CF card, frame rate, variation in the manufacturing, whether or not the camera is hand held etc.

I'd suggest that we start logging some of these details. For those of you with 7Ds, *please* can you post a reply with the following information so we can start to examine stats rather than anecdotes? But for this "survey" to be at all meaningful, we need as many 7D owners to respond - both those who have experienced the overheating icon and those who haven't.

Have you experienced the dreaded "overheating" icon?
If so, for how long were you shooting before getting the icon?
Ambient temp?
Humidity?
Camera body exposed to direct sunlight?
Handheld or on a tripod?
Firmware version?
What date did you receive your 7D? (ideally we want the serial number if you're happy to provide that info!)
CF card make, model and size?
Frame rate?

Sure - it won't be possible to answer some of these questions with absolute accuracy. But that's not the point. We just need a few stats so we can start to sink our teeth into this problem.

So, for example, one useful outcome of this exercise is that we might find that the icon only appears if the camera is hand-held or in direct sunlight. Who knows...
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #34
Regular Crew

7D trick or treat

My main goal here is to figure out as objectively as possible if there are heat issues associated to certain 7D units or are heat warnings the nature of of all 7Ds. The unit I am testing is a replacement for my first 7D and they both seem to exhibit about the same early warning when shooting continuously.

Ran another test this morning. Same temperature, indoor airco 75 degrees. Recording format 1920 30, SS 60, f2.8, and ISO 1000. Same CF card Delkin PRO UDMA. I hooked up the HDMI output to an external monitor disabling the internal monitor.

The result was about the same as my first test with 1920 30 with the internal monitor running. Recorded about 12GBs before the heat icon began flashing. Time wise this was around 35 minutes from the time I turned the camera on until the time I stopped it. 30p is my setting of preference for shooting action sports with the EX1 so 1920 30 is the likely format I would be shooting with the 7D.

I find it interesting that from the exterior the camera is just slightly warm to touch, the battery and the CF card are also a little warm but nothing I can touch is hot. I am not sure if this is a good or bad sign. It could mean Canon set the heat threshold low or it could mean the internal heat is not being dispersed to the body efficiently.

Are there any knowledgeable users out there that know the mechanics of DSLRs and what the heat sensor is measuring.

One of my primary goals for the shooting with the 7D is capturing interviews with a shallower DOF. The camera heating up at 35 minutes will certainly come into play.

Off to NYC to film the NYC Marathon. I will be using the EX1 and shooting some b-roll with the 7D.

Happy Halloween
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 04:02 AM   #35
New Boot

Following up to my earlier post.
I spoke with my dealer and the canon rep last week. Today my dealer called me up and said, "come on down and pick up a replacement 7D".

Very nice of them I thought. They just replaced the body outright.

Sad news is... A little over 30 mins of shooting and the temp icon shows up again. So the new one is no better than the old one.

:( Will let the dealer know in the morning.
So that's 2 for 2 overheating with me.
Shane Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 05:26 AM   #36
Major Player

I'm not too keen on upgrading firmware if the updates don't help me, but has anyone updated to 1.1.0 with results in regard to the overheating?
Old November 6th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Shane (an others)....why not help us all out here and post the shooting/format/firmware etc. information Jack suggested so we can analyze any data that comes in. Just started testing my brand new 7D right now.

EDIT: Also, just for info there is one report of an extended "busy" problem that someone has reported over on "the other forum" (nothing to do with overheating etc.) so I for one will hold back on updating until more brave soles post successful results about Firmware updating to this current one - just in case!

EDIT 2: Just completed some testing with a 16GB Sandisk Extreme III card which I filled completely with video shot with a mixture of 720p 50fps and 1080p 25fps (just boring footage of me playing with camera and editing in my office). Camera would record for about 10-11 minutes on each clip before closing the file. No overheating warning came on. On desk and a bit of handheld. Ambient about 18C (indoors) and Firmware is 1.0.9 with a serial number (within 10) of the 0380302150 area. Also did a lens cover test whilst recording video ....and as far as I can tell....I'm looking at a completely black full res monitor screen on my Mac Pro... I've absolutely no stuck pixels. So, I'm pretty happy so far! Glad I bought a spare battery as video really sucks the juice out of the thing!

Last edited by Andy Wilkinson; November 6th, 2009 at 09:42 AM.
Andy Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:47 PM   #38
New Boot

OK Andy, here's the guff...

I'm shooting 25fps
firmware is 1.0.9 (Is that the latest?)
The CF Card is a Sandisc Extreme III (200X or 30MB/s)
The battery is the official Canon LP E6

Now to the latest news.
Yesterday I took the 2nd 7D back to the dealer and he just gave me another one No questions asked. Fist test from a cold start at about 25C room temp and I had Temp Warning by 31 mins.
That's 12:24 - stopped and restarted immediately - 12:24 again then 6:32 for a grand total of 31 mins 20 seconds. Almost identical to 7D #2.

That's 3 for 3 on my end. :(

EDIT - Just discovered that there is a 1.1.0 update out for the firmware. Sorry I'm behind the times.
Will run some more tests tonight and see if it makes any difference.

Last edited by Shane Kerr; November 8th, 2009 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Updated info
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #39
Regular Crew

2 for 2 on overheating

I got my first camera from the very first shipments.
Heard about the overheating and posted that I'd gone 1:20 to 1:30 minutes with no problem.

Shot a job in under 70 F and got he heat icon in around 45 minutes.

came back and test with the AC adapter and it went around 1 to 1:10 hrs before seeing the overheat icon.

Took camera back and got 2nd camera. Right out of box, put in AC adapter and tried. Went around 1:20 minutes. 68 F on temp. 30 FPS, manual settings shutter at 60 ISO 320.
V 1.09 on software (2nd version) .

The quickest overheat was with custom picture frame, nikon lens and adapter, and battery.

I think AC adapter is good for about 15-20 minutes more before heat icon when over battery usage. But that's about my only guess.

I have had a 5D mark 2 since the end of november last year and never have seen the heat icon.

Not sure what to think other than the 2 processors are probably a problem.
Jim Froom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #40
New Boot

Latest report:
Only just now had a chance to update the firmware to 1.1.0 and give it a test.

Updated firmware last night - started the test fresh this morning. Camera was cold - as in unused for 12 hrs overnight - turned on and test started immediately.

Restating all previous stats as before...
I'm shooting 25fps
Sandisc Extreme III (200X or 30MB/s)
Canon LP E6 battery

Got an unusual 15:30 on the first clip
(must have been the subject matter - large areas of solid colour)
15:03 on second clip
9:15 and the warning light comes on.

That's almost 40 mins. (i'd say 40 actually with the pauses to restart inbetween clips)

What's different?
Updated firmware and the office ambient temp was about 2 degrees C cooler than the last test.

Later in the day I expect that time would go down to the usual circa 30 mins.

Are there really people out there with 7D that don't do this?
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #41
Inner Circle

Re your important question "are there really people out there with 7Ds that don't do this" I've done some more testing today.

Identical envrionmental conditions to post I did above (indoor, mild temps etc.) except in this case I has the Eos 7D Utility on my MBP going with the USB connection - so I had live view on the 7Ds screen (as well as on the MBP screen). Starting from a cool/off camera I filled my 16GB Sandisk Extreme III card with 1080p 25fps video until I got the card full termination. I tried to get near enough successive instant starts of recording as soon as the previous 4GB clip closed out. No overheating icon at all...maybe I'm just not shooting for long enough yet - judging by some of the posts above I need it going for much longer. IS was on for the first 4Gb clip (as I forgot), then off (as it was just resting on a table top).

I've another 16GB card arriving in a few days time so then maybe I can get the thing to come on after running for much longer (if I'm unlucky!) - I'll try then and report back again.
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:46 AM   #42
Major Player

I got my first heat icon today, this was probably after about 1 hour of shooting. I don't think it affected the recording.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #43
Major Player

thanks all for the info... interesting stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Kerr View Post
...Fist test from a cold start...
<childish snigger>
Jack Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #44
Major Player

My 7D overheated after shooting less than 20 minutes in 1080 30P continuously. Prior to that, I was shooting for about 30 mins off and on.

I let it cool down and it overheated again and once more after about 5 minutes breaks in between.

1080 24p didn't give me these kind of issues.

Hmm.......it's my "main" 7D being that I shoot with it the most so I wonder if the proc's thermal paste wears down over time?

Relevant settings are LCD is on 1 notch above middle, 1080 30p, canon brand battery, monopod mounted, 80 degrees ambient air in slightly humid hawaiian weather, and about 1250 iso, 40 shutter, and 2.8 ap.

Hope this helps with something. Don't want to go to Canon yet as I need the 7D to shoot quite a bit more stuff.
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #45
Major Player

is anyone using the battery grip? I haven't had time to test but I'm using the battery grip and I wonder if it helps keep some of the heat away from the main body?

Just a thought.. no heat icon so far but I haven't been running it as ragged as you guys testing.. I'll try the test tonight.
Scott Shama is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD