Robert Rodriguez shooting music video on badass Canon 7D rig - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old March 4th, 2010, 01:25 AM   #31
Wrangler

Ryan:

This was what I was referring to in my previous post, that Christopher also mentioned. The Blackmagic Design box doesn't "like" more than 12v input, not surprising if it can run off a 7.2v battery. So we have used an inexpensive voltage regulator from Radio Shack and wired it in-line with our power cable so we can power the BM box off the p-tap from the Dionic 90 that powers the rest of the rig. There aren't any off-the-shelf solutions for this, nor have Blackmagic offered any (or AJA for their boxes, for that matter).

The new wisdom is to wire the voltage adaptor inside the housing of the Blackmagic. This will allow for a simple straight cable from the p-tap port. I'm also moving to switching adaptors which don't generate any heat.

Just had a long chat with my electronics guy today and ordered the parts for everything on the rig that requires regulated voltage less than what the battery puts out. This includes the camera itself (via the slide-in dummy battery that is part of the AC adaptor assembly), Zoom H4N, Sennheiser wirelesses and probably something else I haven't thought of yet. Ultimately, that one Dionic 90 on the back of my rig will power every component (all of the above plus the 7" monitor, Camwave HD transmitter, Preston motor driver and any other existing components that I may choose to use down the road like Decimator downconverter, Modulus SD transmitter, Microforce zoom control etc). Much, much cleaner to monitor a single battery, and since none of the components are serious power hogs, it should have a good run time. If necessary I have a dummy plate that replaces the battery and allows a 4-pin XLR for AC power supply to the whole deal.

Once all is done I will be posting pictures at my soon-to-be rolled out blog, at papert.com.
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:45 AM   #32
Inner Circle

Who'd like to make the first ball park guess at the cost of the RR rig NOT including the camera and lens?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:44 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Hey Ryan, Zilker will be packed with folks this coming Sunday.. Hope the weather holds out.
Bring out your camera... :-)
Are you talking about the kite festival? I was planning on taking my son (2 1/2 years old) anyway - you going to be there?
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:56 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Wow Charles - that's a serious setup, and a very cool plan - I like the idea. Are you going to be detailing this solution for the community once complete? That would be a helluva thing to try to reproduce. I don't have the power needs that you have but I'm really questioning my decision to purchase the SmallHD DP1 monitor instead of the Marshall 70P or 651 and working harder towards an SDI-based solution that I could use something like the AJA or Blackmagic adapter to drive from the 7D when I needed it... Your solution here gets me past the biggest issue with it, which was how to get HDMI into SDI without being plugged into the wall. I'm not a "power supply hacker" but if directed properly it would open all sorts of doors for me, I'd imagine...
Ryan Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:46 PM   #35
Inner Circle

If you're going to be carrying a monitor, or even a small monitor and loupe, on your shoulder rig, and you've got a remote follow focus, wouldn't it make sense to have the body on your shoulder and the lens next to your head, like an ENG body? It seems to me that once you get away from the LCD on the camera, the whole front heavy thing can be solved.
Old March 5th, 2010, 05:22 AM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
If you're going to be carrying a monitor, or even a small monitor and loupe, on your shoulder rig, and you've got a remote follow focus, wouldn't it make sense to have the body on your shoulder and the lens next to your head, like an ENG body? It seems to me that once you get away from the LCD on the camera, the whole front heavy thing can be solved.
Heck - RR just needs a tap out to video village.

Remember, this guy "short ended" El Mariachi with a wheelchair, a wide angle and cut on 3/4" tape.
We are spoiled with our NLE's, steadycams and sliders.
-C
Attached Thumbnails
Robert Rodriguez shooting music video on badass Canon 7D rig-picture-1.png  
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 10:40 AM   #37
Wrangler

Exactly Jon, and that is part of my design philosophy. Although there are limitations--you have to make sure that the monitor and handgrips cannot get into the shot with the widest possible lens that you are planning to use.

I spent hours configuring an F35 like this a while back. See here. I ended up removing the eyepiece and using the viewfinder as if it was a monitor, so I could view heads-up as we were doing very long takes Which is why we also used the EasyRig. I actually had to figure out and extension for the camera handle to allow for hanging off the EasyRig at the new center of gravity. Ultimately the whole thing balanced perfectly.

The real key to it all was the mistletoe that my lovely AC hung from the top of the rig in a burst of seasonal spirit (see pic a few posts down from that one).
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Is that you or Locutus behind that camera? ;)

http://hem.bredband.net/locutus/picard3.jpg
Old May 4th, 2010, 10:49 AM   #39
Wrangler

The video in question "40 Dogs (Like Romeo & Juliet)" is out now:

Bob Schneider 40 Dogs Video Exclusive - Mix 947
Jenn Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #40
Major Player

Nniiiiiiice!

Excellent work and a real pleasure to watch and listen too.
John Richard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD