Fader ND filters - Any recommendations? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 14th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: Fader ND filters - Any recommendations?

he has not tried the Tiffen though!
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 06:55 PM   #32
Trustee

Tests using the LCW II have been clear - it still degrades the image seriously . This is not due to wide apertures but cheap filters - especially some of them are plastic filters - that's why they are cheap!
However you will only see this with telephoto lenses, because telephotos magnify the effect of imperfections in the filter.
I've tested a few at 200mm and using 2 decent quality glass polas was completely sharp at 200mm .
Trouble with using 2 glass filters is that they get quite thick and start to vignette on a wide zoom. Problem with Singh-Ray is 2 - 77mm filters can also start to vignette whereas some of the cheaper companies put an 82mm on top of a 77 which is a better idea. But their glass sucks.

i want one for my 18-200 nikon and it vignettes pretty fast. I can put a 4 1/2 round linear pola I have over a 77 or 82 circular and it works great , but its so damn big.

On top of it all its tough to get polas that don't have a color cast.

Its tough to get a break in this world.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Im in the market for a Fader/Vari-ND.

The more I read the more Im put off making a purchase and left frustratingly confused! Prices vary wildly and then people say that the ones I can afford are crap! I had considered the LCW II.

I suppose everything is relative but I can't seem to find any examples of the difference between good and bad video or even stills. I dont want to waste money on rubbish but equally Im not looking for near perfection which I guess only comes with stuff costing $600 upwards.

What do I do?
Alan Maughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #34
Regular Crew

Personally I have been happy with the LCW II but then I have nothing really to compare it to. To me it makes sense to use it as a jumping on point. It feels a solid product IMHO and any potential buyers need to do their homework and buy from someone reputable.
Stephen Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #35
Inner Circle

Polaroid who presumably know a thing or two about the technology now do a range of decent quality variable ND filters at less than half the price of a genuine LCW II. They can be purchased from Amazon.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 07:40 AM   #36
Major Player

Polaroid Polaroid Variable Range Fader Filter - Filters

Direct from Polaroid for $29.99, cheaper than Amazon (price is same for any size 37mm to 82mm, that is not the normal way to price). Can't recommend something in that price range, would be great if they work.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 08:03 AM   #37
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
Polaroid Polaroid Variable Range Fader Filter - Filters

Direct from Polaroid for $29.99, cheaper than Amazon (price is same for any size 37mm to 82mm, that is not the normal way to price). Can't recommend something in that price range, would be great if they work.
Gosh that is cheap buying direct! In the brief testing I have done with an 82mm on my Canon 16-35mm F/2.8 it looked fine.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #38
Major Player

After seriously considering a variable ND filter, I have decided to go with the Tiffen Water White ND set, fully realizing that there will be more hassle to switch them out. Read the blog post by Shane Hurlbut at Hurlbut Visuals. I am going with the 77 mm versions and will pick up some step-up rings.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 12:58 AM   #39
Regular Crew

I considered the Polariod one until I saw this

YouTube - ‪Review of Polaroid Variable range Neutral Density ND filter with Canon T2i 550D‬‏
Alan Maughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #40
Major Player

As stated above, I decided to go with a set of Tiffen water white ND filters, to avoid coloring issues. For my son, however, I just bought one of the Singh-Ray variable ND filters, for him to use with his T2i. In a recent post, Phillip Bloom said that the Heliopan varaible ND is even better than the Singh-Ray. I would have purchased the Heliopan but it is 6 to 10 weeks out (at B&H, and not available on Amazon).

Two suggestions:

Splurge on better quality step-up rings, to avoid stuck filters in the heat of battle. I went with Heliopan step-up rings (from B&H)

Carry a plastic filter wrench, in case of stuck filters.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #41
Major Player

I managed to search around the net until I found the Heliopan. It took some
doing as B&H and most of the usual suspects are backordered on it. I was
willing to pay the $400 for it, as I need something very good for my
new FS-100. It shipped today to me, so I should have it sometime next week,
and I can post my impression of it.
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2011, 12:38 PM   #42
Major Player

Sorry if this question was posted already but i have a Light Craft Workshop 77mm fader ND MK2 which i use with my canon 7d. I noticed circular rings when the lens is wide open when pointing to a blue sky is this normal for a ND filter or could the the lens be defective or is it just a bad design? I'm thinking of getting a Genus 77mm ND but don't know if i'm going to run into the same problem.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 02:52 PM   #43
Major Player

I got the Heliopan filter and have been using it for the past month.
It is just fantastic, maybe expensive at $400 but worth every penny in
my opinion. I have posted a test on my Sony NEX FS-100 with and
without the filter at different focal lengths to show how you can
get the 'shallow depth of field' look by using the ND filter.
You can also see there is no loss of sharpness or color cast when
using the filter. Here's the link:

FS-100/Heliopan depth of field tests By Gabe Strong On ExposureRoom
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajito Nagib View Post
Sorry if this question was posted already but i have a Light Craft Workshop 77mm fader ND MK2 which i use with my canon 7d. I noticed circular rings when the lens is wide open when pointing to a blue sky is this normal for a ND filter or could the the lens be defective or is it just a bad design? I'm thinking of getting a Genus 77mm ND but don't know if i'm going to run into the same problem.
Where did you get your LCW ND MK2 from? I have never noticed anything like that with mine. Completely darkening the filter will lead to heavy vignetting and complete picture degradation before it resets and starts at its brightest point again.
Stephen Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #45
Regular Crew

Any Heliopan 77mm owners find a reliable slip-on or their lens cap for their filter? I am stuck finding something that works!
Annen James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD