Fader ND filters - Any recommendations? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old October 10th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #46
Major Player

Re: Fader ND filters - Any recommendations?

I have the light craft workshop and really don't like how it degrade the image. Anybody use Tiffen here and can comment on them?
Victor Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #47
Regular Crew

I've been using the Fader ND Mk II for a while and recently started using the newer Digi Pro-HD version.

Built quality is better and it's overall easier to handle. It still gets a bit soft when on telephoto lenses but more common focal lengths it should work great.

Here's a review we did of it recently (Click CC for English subtitles)

Iker Riera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #48
Major Player

I bought a Fader ND way back because I baulked at the asking price for the Shing Ray. It is garbage at anything past its half way setting, causing uneven vigetting, and a pronounced, but also uneven colour cast. I never ever use it, but my concience won't let me pass on such a lemon to anyone else.

So I now use Formatt Hitech 100mm resin filters, but besides a set of three GNDs, I only have the eight stop ND with gaskit, and it works flawlessly. To look through it is like a welding mask, but its effect is completely even across the frame, and there is no noticable colour cast.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 10:59 PM   #49
Major Player

Below are two pictures, the first was taken through a Fotga “Slim wide band FADER ND design for digital camera” variable density filter and the other through a Hoya UV(0) filter that I use as a lens protector. The Fotga is about $20 au including postage.

To eliminate camera movement as far as possible the Nikon D300 was tripod mounted and used in mirror up mode. The lens used was a 300 mm f4 Nikkor and the camera was set in aperture priority mode (f 5.6). The camera set the exposure that varied over an 8 fold range.

I used the full range of Fotga settings and the results were all very similar, i.e. no better or no worse anywhere over the full range.

Apart from the results l Iike everything else about the Fotga. I would be interested in seeing the results from more upmarket filters.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/images/a...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
Fader ND filters - Any recommendations?-_dsc9054.jpg   Fader ND filters - Any recommendations?-_dsc9061.jpg  

Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:21 AM   #50
Inner Circle

I purchased a bunch of these filters and tested them on a GH2. The overall winner for me was the Fader HD. It is their most expensive and is made for video use. It has a two stop difference over the Heliopan.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #51
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair Traill View Post

The lens used was a 300 mm f4 Nikkor and the camera was set in aperture priority mode (f 5.6). The camera set the exposure that varied over an 8 fold range.

I used the full range of Fotga settings and the results were all very similar, i.e. no better or no worse anywhere over the full range.

Apart from the results l Iike everything else about the Fotga. I would be interested in seeing the results from more upmarket filters.
Though I my tests were with a DIY vari-nd, it shows the same results as your's with a long lens, mine was a nikkor 80-200 f2.8.
HOWEVER, I found out that mated with the "right" lens, the filter can be consistently sharp at all apertures. In my case a 50mm f1.4 is sharp with the a vari-nd at all apertures and at different filter power settings.

For those interested here are the tests with color and resolution charts. And for those interested, how to DIY it.

Old November 5th, 2012, 09:58 PM   #52
Major Player

Hi Ted,

I wonder why the longer focal lengths are so adversely affected? Does this happen with the up market versions?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2012, 11:26 PM   #53
Trustee

Hi Alastair,

I recalled back I saw a shootout done with some brands, if my memory serves me right, they compared the Singh ray and LCW and it showed loss of sharpness with long lenses. I just can't recall which. The heliopan apparently is sharp and useful with several lens types. I have no personal experience with that so maybe someone who tried it can chime in.

On a side note, I use the mosaic VAF-5D2, and it does the opposite! The longer focal lengths are ok but on the wide end its picky with certain models.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD