Fader ND filters - Any recommendations? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old August 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Fader ND filters - Any recommendations?

Have been on the lookout for an added ND filter. I'd prefer to get one of the fader ones, so that on a shoot, I'm not faffing around changing lens filters.

There are quite a few on sale on ebay (I live in the UK), and I wondered if anyone out there had bought one of these and if there were any differences in quality between them? What should I be expecting to pay for one of decent quality?

here's a link to one.

Fader ND Filter ( ND2 to ND400) 55mm Neutral Density - eBay (item 140410646817 end time Sep-21-10 08:41:40 PDT)

Thanks
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM   #2
Trustee

I have the Singh ray and it works great. A couple of stepup rings make them fit all my lenses.
That eBay one looks interesting. Certainly better price than the $390 one I have!
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

$390!! yikes! - I wasn't expecting to pay anywhere near as much as that! I thought could pick one up easily for about £50 ($70/$80)
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

DIY with two linear polarizers. You can check out the Fader ND and Genus ND but you'd probably want to do a search for the limitations and image quality degradation of those filters before deciding if it is right for you.

I personally would just use straight ND filters... no sharpness loss and minimal colour casts. They are pricey though, especially the better ones.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

as you say, there could be a loss in sharpness with the fader, although just noticed this filter - which is the only one I can see that guarantees it's for HD.

Fader ND Filter ( ND2 to ND400) 77mm Neutral Density on eBay (end time 17-Sep-10 15:41:07 BST)
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Personally, I think that filter is a POS.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Trustee

As many will tell you, the image quality with the Singh ray is awesome. Considering what you'd have to spend with individual nd filters and stacking, it really isn't that bad a price. plus the one I got is the thin one and it doesn't vignette nearly as bad as the thick one. And it's only on my Tokina 11-16 at 11mm that you see any at all.

That said, if the eBay ones work well and keep the image sharp, I'd probably pick up a different sized one so I wouldn't have to move the Singh ray around.

Who's going to pull the trigger and give us a report?
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:09 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Holb View Post
by POS - you mean possibility?
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:13 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I bought mine on eBay for a little over a $100 and it works great.
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Holb View Post
Why? Did you buy one from that particular eBay seller & test it?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:57 PM   #11
Inner Circle

You should buy from the manufacturer Light Craft Workshop Light Craft Workshop FADER ND Filter mark II (MK2) 55mm - eBay (item 140433606432 end time Sep-27-10 11:35:36 PDT)

These variable ND filters are excellent quality & work well. Depending on filter size size they are priced around $75-$125 delivered.
Old August 31st, 2010, 02:09 AM   #12
Major Player

the link above is also from LCW.. I have the original and Mark 2 versions, they both work well but give a very strong green/yellowish colour cast
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 06:45 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus Sweeney View Post
the link above is also from LCW.. I have the original and Mark 2 versions, they both work well but give a very strong green/yellowish colour cast
I bought several of the original version direct from LCW & none of them have a green/yellowish colour cast or indeed any colour cast. When it is set at maximum there is a patchy dark blue/green cast but if you back off a little from maximum then it is fine.
Old August 31st, 2010, 11:40 AM   #14
Major Player

The problem is definitely worse the more you turn the filter, mine is a definite green/yellow colour though.. do you manual white balance? im wondering if using the presets is a bad idea and doing a custom WB would solve the tint.. i will try it out

in any case heres some testing done regarding the colour tints on different ND filters..

ND filters | Blog: David Harry Stewart, Photographer/Director

Last edited by Manus Sweeney; August 31st, 2010 at 01:37 PM.
Manus Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 01:56 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Why? Did you buy one from that particular eBay seller & test it?
I bought from eBay seller, lightcraftworkshop-official-store. The filter came in the brown box with the hologram, so I'm pretty sure it's legit. They mention "fakes" floating out there but I seriously think they are the ones who are the fakes. I was initially happy with using it, but then I didn't know any better.

After doing some tests with the Fader ND mk2, and several other ND filters, ranging in price from $12 to $125, the Fader ND was the only filter to 1) soften the image above 85mm 2) introduce a very strong greenish/yellow colour cast, 3) rendered bokeh in a very ugly way. All other straight NDs performed significantly better. I've concluded it is better to just use straight NDs because the drawbacks to the Fader ND were too much vs. the convenience of variable ND strengths.

I now only shoot with the Tiffen ND IRs in strengths of 0.9, 1.5 and 2.1. And I can be assured my images look their best. There is great comfort in that.
Ian Holb is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD