New Camera Purchase 70D or video camera - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old May 19th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: New Camera Purchase 70D or video camera

Question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gerard View Post
I value all your comment and opinions. That said what do you guys think I would not like about getting the 70d as a. Upgrade.
The 70D has a rolling shutter so there would be distortion type artifacts from anything that moves fast across the screen.

This is something to consider in the the compromise. I've seen some pretty ugly looking rolling shutter problem videos and videos of cars is usually what is used to show the rolling shutter problem.

As an aside, for what it's worth, this is something I'm dealing with myself and plan to mention in my forthcoming "What camera to get?" (wish there was a separate section for this topic. Moderators: this is a hint). But I've got a number of other compromise problems too! Just need to get all my ducks in a row.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:19 AM   #17
Major Player

I have a 70d. I use it as a b-cam to my FS100. The FS100 shoots better video but, in most cases the 70d works fine for my b-roll. The auto focus works great. I will often have a less experienced camera person using the 70d and I try to not put them in the more challenging situations. The STM Lenses are great for shooting video and the Tokina 11-16 works well also. I am looking forward to them releasing more STM Lenses but honestly I have not needed anything more than the 18 to 135 that came with the 70d.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 08:51 AM   #18
Trustee

Ron, how do the lenses you've used manage with the autofocus? I posted a video of my lenses and the noise and hunt/peck they did, except for the canon STM 18-55, but I don't have the STM 18-135. I'd also LOVE to try it out with either the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 or the Sigma 50-150.
Robert Benda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:51 AM   #19
Major Player

None of my non STM lenses work well on the 70d. How ever the Tokina 11-16 works very good.
Ron Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 05:40 PM   #20
Major Player

The 70-200 2.8 IS mki focuses pretty smooth with the 70d, and is fairly quiet. Better than the 24-105, which I really like and keep on 99% of the time.
The 17-40 is not as smooth, and the 17-85 is a noisy, jerky disaster (had to give it a go because of the IS and zoom range. I'm going to try it on a T3i for a small b-roll camera that's always handy to pull out quickly).
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD