Budget variable ND filter - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM   #16
New Boot

Hey guys which version of the HOYA Circular Pol and linear pol did you get. There are a few different ones. Does it matter to get the high end circular polarizer? Or can I just get the cheaper one?

Thanks in advance!
Gary San Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 11:24 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary San Angel View Post
Hey guys which version of the HOYA Circular Pol and linear pol did you get. There are a few different ones. Does it matter to get the high end circular polarizer? Or can I just get the cheaper one?

Thanks in advance!
If you going to purchase the linear & circular polarising filters specially to make your own variable ND filter then I suggest that you put the money towards buying a Fader ND filter from Hong Kong listed on eBay. They work better than a DIY setup & are a fraction of the price of the Singh-Ray filter. The 77mm Fader ND is now $108 with free shipping worldwide Fader ND Filter (from ND2 to ND400) 77mm on eBay (end time 01-Aug-09 04:27:08 BST)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
The 77mm Fader ND is now $108 with free shipping worldwide Fader ND Filter (from ND2 to ND400) 77mm on eBay (end time 01-Aug-09 04:27:08 BST)
Nigel, have you tried these variable ND filters from Hong Kong? Are they worth it? For about $70 I can put together a HOYA cir Pol and lin pol to make a homemade variable filter. If the image is about the same then I don't have to wait forever to get the Hong Kong one. But if the HK version is coloser to the Singh Ray then maybe it's worth it.

What do you think?
Gary San Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I'm interested in creating a variable ND filter by using two 4X4" polarizers in the rotatable filter trays of a matte box. Anyone have any tips for which polarizing filters I should buy to use in conjunction with each other (Dan, you've mentioned this method in lieu of screw-in options)? Trying to avoid color shifting, etc. Thanks v much...

Last edited by Ryan Koo; August 13th, 2009 at 02:05 PM.
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #20
Major Player

Ryan,

I have indeed done this in a Genus mattebox to give me full wide angle coverage, but I also have fader ND's now. I'm not sure that the 4x4 method is any improvement using the Schneider filters I have. Your milage may vary. The only really good bit about the 4x4 method is that they ND's are quicker/easier to remove than the screw ins.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
If you going to purchase the linear & circular polarising filters specially to make your own variable ND filter then I suggest that you put the money towards buying a Fader ND filter from Hong Kong listed on eBay. They work better than a DIY setup & are a fraction of the price of the Singh-Ray filter. The 77mm Fader ND is now $108 with free shipping worldwide Fader ND Filter (from ND2 to ND400) 77mm on eBay (end time 01-Aug-09 04:27:08 BST)
Nigel am interested in getting one of these.

Is there a reason the 77mm thread has 82mm glass?

Cheers

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #22
Inner Circle

The reason is to avoid vignetting.

I just received my second 77mm Fader ND and a 58mm version today as well. About 11 days shipping from Hong Kong to LA.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Right now no one has them listed on eBay, they must be backordered (the last one sold a week ago). Right as I'm ready to buy one, of course...

EDIT: Nevermind, a 72mm listing just went up, hopefully this means more are on their way.

Last edited by Ryan Koo; August 18th, 2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old August 18th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #24
Inner Circle

You don't have to order them from Ebay
http://tinyurl.com/qamw63

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #25
Regular Crew

True -- though the store is also out of stock (until Sept 3rd).
Old August 19th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Yeah, you have to get your order in and get in line. That's what it took both times with my Fader ND purchases. If you wait for them to come into stock, you will wait months. I think that the owner has been taken by surprise at how many of us 5D MKII users need these filters.

D
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD