Review of new Zacuto Z-Finder V2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old August 28th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #16
Trustee

sorry for not joining in the conversation. my notifications from dvinfo for replies is sporadic at best!

Yes the Z-Finder is not cheap and therefore not for everyone.
Old August 29th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #17
Major Player

Run and Gun

I have been in need of something like this. $400 will be hard to cough up since I want to buy a pocket dolly and a few other goodies.

For 90% of my shooting this will be a huge help. Doesn't matter what you are shooting, when the LCD isn't at an ideal angle you will have a hard time doing anything other than hoping you have the shot...............unless you have the luxury of a monitor.

I think I am a buyer since this is such a crucial tool for this cam. I have found my self changing my style to accommodate more straight on shots anyway :)
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew

For those looking to get the Z-finder, Zacuto has a new video out showing the product...
It has changed a little, they now have another way to hold the finder to the camera...
they are calling them Z-bands... a nice touch, well thought out. This is a very good
video that demonstrates all of the attributes of the Z-finder for those thinking of getting
one.

Here is the site for the video...

DSLR Viewfinder, DSLR EyePiece, DSLR Focusing | Zacuto
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #19
Major Player

I did not get any Z-bands with ver 2.
Old August 29th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Knowing Zacuto, you will have to probably buy those extra as they are an option.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Steve, I think they are still in prototype mode for the Z-bands...

I'm sure they will be releasing them soon though.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:16 AM   #22
New Boot

Z-Bands

Just to clarify, the Z-bands are not a way to hold the Z-finder to the camera. The are just for protection in case someone bumps the Z-Finder to prevent it from falling to the ground, much like the Lanyard does. They will be available in the next few days and our an option, we haven't determined a price but it's going to be cheap. The Lanyard and Lanyard hook were included as a bonus for the pre-order customers, plus it's going to be included all through September.

Now I will address why the Z-Finder is the price it is. First, the Schnieder optics are very expensive. This optic design is two lenses that are married and is almost 3/4" thick. The build of Z-Finder is extremely robust without being too heavy. The developmental cost, prototyping and molding are very expensive and not spread over that many units mainly because we are not a volume business. Our products are made in the USA and not mass produced. We check every unit many times so it ships working and in perfect condition. This is just the type of company we choose to be and we know it's not for everyone. Plus we have the only lifetime warranty on an Optical device that I've ever seen. The lens tube is aluminum and when you rotate the red focusing knob it is extremly precise, like a high quality lens. Talk to people who have received it and ask them about the quality and how it works.

One last thing, we will make seperate mounting frames for any new & future cameras. The Z-finder is designed to work with various screen sizes and we will make different mounting frames for new cameras. The mounting frames are cheap under $10. This week we are going to release the mounting frame for the GH1.

I hope I've explained why the price is what it is, if you have further questions feel free to email me at steve@zacuto.com

Steve Weiss, Zacuto USA
Steve Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 08:43 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Steve, I just spoke to Jim on the phone and he said I didn't see the option for the Z bands
(when I placed my order last night) because it was determined that the new adhesion design
made them unnecessary. So I am getting 2 different stories from 2 different sources and therefore are a bit confused...
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 09:43 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Zacuto Quality

I've looked at Zacuto products for quite some time, but only last week bought my first piece of Z-kit: the Tactical DSLR Shooter. All I can say is that the images and videos don't do this product justice, and anyone who thinks Zacuto gear is overpriced needs to hold and use one. The detail, the fit and the finish are all top of class in video support hardware.

Best of all, Steve, Mandy, Jens and the rest of the Zacuto crew are members of our community, always responsive to suggestions and ideas, and always ready to help owners get the most out of their gear.

Personally, I can't wait to use the new Z-Finder on my GH1.
Stephen Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I just got my ZFinder yesterday, let the glue cure for a day and played with it today. What a great piece of equipment. My first Zacuto purchase and I want more products. Expensive yes, but you get what you pay for and I am willing to pay more for something that is going to last.

Jerry
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 03:43 PM   #26
Regular Crew

I just got mine yesterday and it looks very nice. The optics are clean and sharp and it feels comfortable on my face. I'm looking forward to playing with it a bit more tonight.

I hope it works well with the 7D as I plan on purchasing that cam as well.
Dave Contreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Very Impressed "I can See!"

I just got mine out of the "glue mode" and I am also very impressed with its solid design
and the increased functionality it brings to the 5D. The adhesive mount is solid as a rock.
It is a fine compliment to my UBC from iDC Photography. Very professional and utilitarian.
Tom Daigon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2009, 04:54 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Steve:

Is it possible to affix a chamois to the Z-Finder V2 eyepiece? Just curious. Rubber is great but when you are in hot, humid environments, I prefer the chamois.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2009, 04:58 AM   #29
Major Player

Just be careful when using a lanyard.. It gives the false impression that the camera is around your neck, next think you know the 5D is air born. I would suggest a lanyard that goes through a wrist strap that is attached to the camera

Yes a replacement for that rubber would be welcome with a fabric covering, another accessory for the Zfinder.

I am using the quick release from Really Right Stuff to mount the camera to the Zacuto baseplate. @ Really Right Stuff ... Quick-Release Clamps with this system no need to use the riser. You will need the camera plate as well @ Really Right Stuff - B5D2: Plate for 5D MkII without BG-E6
Attached Thumbnails
Review of new Zacuto Z-Finder V2-photo-4-.jpg   Review of new Zacuto Z-Finder V2-photo-6-.jpg  

Old September 4th, 2009, 05:44 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Steve... whats the spacer you have mounted between the camera and the Z frame used
for???
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD