DSLRs used on Jamie Oliver program - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Can someone point me in the right direction where I can find the episode of House that was shot with the 5D?.....I can't find it or the name to look it up......

Thanks, Reggie
Reggie Moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 06:09 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
I just started watching 'River Monsters' on NetFlix and wonder if they are using HDSLR for b-roll. I tried googling it to find out but couldn't get clarification. They are certainly shooting some shallow dof stuff in the b-camera.

Does anybody know what they're using?
I'll ask Jeremy Wade when I next see him. We might be going on an expedition together in the future.

Which series have you been watching, Ken, the early or latest episodes?
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:44 AM   #18
Trustee

Hey Tony,

I just got NetFlix and my 14-year old son is hooked on the show. They have seasons 1 and 2 of "River Monsters" on there. I've heard that it's Animal Planets most popular show. I was watching season 2 when I saw a lot of tight, shallow, b-roll shots. I think he watched both seasons within about 2 days and he was bugging me for more.

My son is an avid fisherman, and Jeremy has become a rock star in our household. I can't imagine some of the behind-the-scenes stuff. He really gets to some remote locations.

I checked your site, and that is some great carp footage. I had the good fortune recently to work on a project for the Department of Fisheries in Canada filming migrating salmon. I must say that if I could make a living doing only that, I certainly would.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:42 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Moser View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction where I can find the episode of House that was shot with the 5D?.....I can't find it or the name to look it up......

Thanks, Reggie
It may have been taken down. I found it at the beginning of last week but could not find it again when I tried later in the week.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:39 AM   #20
Trustee

Having watched this (30 minute meals) a few times, I would have to say that some of the shots could use a rather greater depth of focus - a line of sausages where only part of one of them is in focus? Come on!
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #21
Major Player

I haven't seen this show, but thought I'd add something. I was at work, and we had the NBA channel (directv in the US). Last night the LA Clippers were playing the Orlando Magic. I happen to notice they were using DSLR cameras mounted above and behind the backboards, of the baskets. Didnt get a great look at them, so couldnt figure out which camera model they were, but looked like one of the Canons, with a battery grip.

Just thought Id add this here, instead of starting a new thread.
Jeff Troiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Major Player

Those cameras are shooting stills. Basketball still photogs have done that for years....
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:22 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
People, please stop overusing shallow DOF and rack focus! It's getting old really fast.
hear hear!
...has been annoying enough to date with still photographs of food...
Brian McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #24
Telecam Films

We have been shooting a 1/2hr news magazine, FAULTLINES en Aljazeera English, end to end on the 5D since April 2010. Not always easy (Sony's F3 may bring some releif...) but the show looks great. See for yourself:

POLITICS OF DEATH ROW
YouTube - Fault Lines - Politics of death row

THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY
YouTube - Fault Lines - The high and the mighty

DYING INSIDE: ELDERLY IN PRISON
YouTube - Fault Lines - Dying Inside: Elderly in prison

HAITI: SIX MONTHS ON
YouTube - Fault Lines - Haiti: Six months on

FAST FOODS, FAT PROFITS
YouTube - Fault Lines - Fast food, fat profits: Obesity in America

Thierry
Thierry Humeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #25
Trustee

Thierry,

I watched the obesity episode. The show looks great. This is a very difficult format for the 5d as it relies so much on sync'd sound. I think I saw a zoom h4n on a podium. Not to mention some of the interviews are not done in a controlled environment so manually focusing and adjusting exposure are constant.

Very well done.
Old February 14th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #26
Telecam Films

Thanks Ken. To give you a bit more background, we also work solo and are sometimes running two wirelesses... We only do sync sound on seatdown interviews and rely quite a bit on the external camera mic, a Sennheiser MKE-400 in my case. Good eye on the Zoom H4n, that is what I use indeed. I also have a Tascam DR-100 but prefer to use the Zoom instead. It is a much more robust unit and simpler to use. A recent firmware update brought the zoom independent level controls on each channel and that is a welcome addition. As for lenses, I am using Canon's EF L Series 16-35 F2.8 (favorite), 24-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F2.8 EIS w/ 2X. The other DP on the show also like to use Zeiss primes.

Thierry
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry Humeau View Post
Good eye on the Zoom H4n, that is what I use indeed. I also have a Tascam DR-100 but prefer to use the Zoom instead. It is a much more robust unit and simpler to use.

Thierry
I have been using the Zoom with a Canon 7D for the past 16 months. I bought the Tascam for use with my personal camera, a 5D MII.

I like the Tascam better than the Zoom. The physical switches are much easier to use than the Zoom. The Zoom does come with a nice case though. I really have a problem with the Zoom when I use wired lav mics and need to use +48V power from the Zoom. I find that the unit can only run for about 30-45 minutes before I need to change batteries. The Tascam last much longer.

To each his own.

Thierry, I am in Asia on a shoot now, but when I am back in town I may ring you up and see what your 5D setup is like if you don't mind.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:37 AM   #28
Telecam Films

Hey Dan. Good hearing from you. I gave up powering mics from either units, the phantom circuit on those portable units is just too weak and as you mentioned, draws too much power. I prefer using the TRAMs lavs power modules, they deliver much more power to the mics and I don't have to run the digital recorder inputs level too high. I am eagerly the delivery of a Sony PMW-F3, I think it will address most of my 5D woes.

Take care,

Thierry
Old February 18th, 2011, 04:04 AM   #29
Major Player

The cost of the F3 seems to high once you figure in the lenses. I think that the camera is $16K?

I have to say that the video that I have seen from it looks very nice!!

I am enjoying the form factor of shooting with HD-SLR's. I just left Myanmar and had no problem shooting there. If I had taken in a larger camera, even a Sony EX1 would have been a big problem.

I can live with the trade offs and the more intense shooting style for the great images that I am able to get.

I will try the power module on my Trams.

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD