DSLRs used on Jamie Oliver program at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old January 21st, 2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DSLRs used on Jamie Oliver program

I'm a bit of a forum junkie so I've posted this elsewhere on the interwebs, but for the benifit of DVinfo people who don't get around as much as I do I thought I'd post here too.

It's another example of DSLRs being used in a TV broadcast situation.

Jamie's 30-Minute Meals

While not quite as exciting as the "House MD" stuff I think this is an example of a shooting to the strengths of the DSLR by using it for C cam beauty shots of food, (ok that part is just a guess, but that's how it looks in the setup you see in the video on that link). They seem to have 2 Reds as their main cams.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Thats pretty awesome! DSLRs are really making their way into real world shooting!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM   #3
Trustee

I recently saw an American cooking show that was obviously shot with DSLRs. Everything was shot very shallow DOF, and handheld. It was very annoying to watch because when sugar was being poured into a measuring cup, the cup should have been in focus, not just a hand! Too shallow DOF shots topped with shaky camera work, and ill framed compositions throughout the entire show created a very negative experience. Too bad because the chef was good, the food looked good, lighting was ok, the sound was good, but the camera work stood out as being annoyingly distracting. The show probably never made it because I haven't seen it since that one episode.

People, please stop overusing shallow DOF and rack focus! It's getting old really fast.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 11:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I've only seen one episode of this series so far and I didn't pick up on the fact that they were using DSLRs until I went to the website to try to find a recipe. I think they've done a good job of integrating the DSLRs with the RED stuff and they haven't overdone the shallow DOF from what I've seen so far.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:59 AM   #5
Inner Circle

It may well be that they are using DSLRs as they are compact & allow them more camera angles from multiple cameras in the cramped confines of a kitchen.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post

People, please stop overusing shallow DOF and rack focus! It's getting old really fast.
I agree, if motivated it's great, but forced, it's pretentious and looks gimmicky
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Denham View Post
I'm a bit of a forum junkie so I've posted this elsewhere on the interwebs, but for the benifit of DVinfo people who don't get around as much as I do I thought I'd post here too.

It's another example of DSLRs being used in a TV broadcast situation.

Jamie's 30-Minute Meals

While not quite as exciting as the "House MD" stuff I think this is an example of a shooting to the strengths of the DSLR by using it for C cam beauty shots of food, (ok that part is just a guess, but that's how it looks in the setup you see in the video on that link). They seem to have 2 Reds as their main cams.
No Reservations on The Travel Channel has been using 7D's this season along with their normal EX1's.
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 11:54 PM   #8
Inner Circle

No Reservations is a romp. Recently, they showed an accelerating train stream by, using rolling shutter as a creative effect.

Hey, why not? :)
Old January 27th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kawamoto View Post

I agree totally. I'm especially getting fed up with this into/out of focus thing that I see a lot. People walking into focus points and then out again is another.

we should be beyond this by now.
Old January 27th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
No Reservations is a romp. Recently, they showed an accelerating train stream by, using rolling shutter as a creative effect.

Hey, why not? :)
If you have Netflix you can watch the previous seasons as well as the current one. This season they had a show which was a behind the scenes of a shoot in India. Pretty interesting....
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #11
Regular Crew

High definition mag ran an article on how it was shot in issue 7- you can view it online, it's well worth a read:

Issue - 7 - Powered by Pressmart

I thought it was a very well shot series, and the canon footage cut very well with the Red- i wonder how much grading was done?

Still, it was a good example of using the right tool for the job- like using a canon as an 'oven cam' or getting an ariel shot over the table by using 1 op up a ladder- it would have taken a lot longer and a lot of rigging to get the same shot on the Red.
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
I agree totally. I'm especially getting fed up with this into/out of focus thing that I see a lot. People walking into focus points and then out again is another.

we should be beyond this by now.
'hangs head in shame' - But thats one of my 'go-to' shot when i'm shooting news on a 450, and i'm asked to get some general filler!

I agree though, too many people have gone 'ohhh, shallow depth of field, havent had that easily before' and they go nuts with it. Its just a tool, and needs to be used with reason. Its great when it follows the narrative. Its distracting when everthings shallow and i find myself trying to look at whats out of focus.

I'm a fan of old westerns, where dof is often incredibly deep and everthing is in focus, all the way to the dusty horizon. Buts its all beautifully framed and staged, and shot at just the right time of day.

Last edited by Peter Ford; January 27th, 2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: 'sausage-fingeritis'
Peter Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 12:11 PM   #13
Trustee

I just started watching 'River Monsters' on NetFlix and wonder if they are using HDSLR for b-roll. I tried googling it to find out but couldn't get clarification. They are certainly shooting some shallow dof stuff in the b-camera.

Does anybody know what they're using?
Old January 27th, 2011, 01:23 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I think Man vs Food might use them also, or it looks like they do
Lee Tamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ford View Post
High definition mag ran an article on how it was shot in issue 7- you can view it online, it's well worth a read:

Issue - 7 - Powered by Pressmart
Thanks for posting this, it was a good read and especially useful if your thinking about how DSLRs can work in multicam setups with other formats.
Ben Denham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD