Magic Lantern Install Advice please - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 28th, 2012, 03:48 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: Magic Lantern Install Advice please

I see that the Unified ML has manual audio, False color and Peaking features. Does it do anything to address the 12 minute record limit even if it drops a few frames?

EDIT: I found this feature list in the UserGuide for the 5DMII Unified 2011Dec22 release:

Features
• Audio: disable AGC and digital filters, audio meters, manual audio controls, selectable input source (internal, internal+external, external stereo, balanced), audio monitoring via USB.
• Exposure helpers: zebras, false color, histogram, waveform, spotmeter. • Focus tools: focus peaking, zoom while recording, trap focus, rack focus, follow focus,
focus stacking, zoom in Face Detect mode.
• Moviehelpers:Bitratecontrol(QScaleorCBR),movielogging(Exif-likemetadata),auto- restart after buffer overflow or 4 GB limit, clean LiveView display without any overlays, change movie position on the mode dial.
• Cropmark images: user-editable overlays to assist framing and composition.
• Fine control for ISO, Shutter, Kelvin white balance and other image settings.
• Remote release with LCD face sensor and audio trigger, without extra hardware.
• Bracketing: exposure bracketing, focus stacking.
• Timelapse: intervalometer (for photos and movies), silent pictures without shutter actu- ation.
• Astro- and night photography: bulb timer for very long exposures (up to 8h).
• Info displays: focus and DOF info, CMOS temperature, shutter count, clock.
• For strobists: flash exposure compensation, range up to -5 to +3 EV (depends on the camera).
• Power saving: Turn off display or reduce backlight in LiveView during idle times. • Fun stuff: slit-scan pictures.

Last edited by Les Wilson; April 28th, 2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added features from UG
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 04:05 AM   #17
Regular Crew

It has auto record feature where it would automatically start recording after the 12 min limit is reached.. Unfotubatkey you don't lose a few frames more like 1-2 seconds.. If you want to lower your bitrate you can record up to 30min depending on which q scale you use..
Jay Corcuera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:32 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Corcuera View Post
It has auto record feature where it would automatically start recording after the 12 min limit is reached.. Unfotubatkey you don't lose a few frames more like 1-2 seconds.. If you want to lower your bitrate you can record up to 30min depending on which q scale you use..
There is no 12 minute record limit. It's actually a 4GB file size limit which at the regular bit rate of around 40Mbps equates to 12 minutes. Obviously if you use a lower bit rate you will take longer to reach the the 4GB limit but the quality will be lowered.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:58 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Jay. Thanks for the informative post. When locked off as a b-camera in an interview, even that 1-2 second loss is a big improvement over having to stop the interview every 12 minutes or use a remote rigup. Thanks.
Old April 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #20
Trustee

The European Tax of 29 minutes 59 seconds maximum for video recording (which applies worldwide due to Canon only supplying one type of DSLR and not seperate NTSC & Pal bodies) still applies to the 5D Mark II and Mark III cameras. (The Mk3 only uses file-spanning to partially ovecome the 4GB problem, but still is restrained by the European tax ruling of not being able to sell any DSLR that is capable of recording video longer than 30-mins without being slapped with huge extra tax fees).
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick View Post
The European Tax of 29 minutes 59 seconds maximum for video recording (which applies worldwide due to Canon only supplying one type of DSLR and not seperate NTSC & Pal bodies) still applies to the 5D Mark II and Mark III cameras. (The Mk3 only uses file-spanning to partially ovecome the 4GB problem, but still is restrained by the European tax ruling of not being able to sell any DSLR that is capable of recording video longer than 30-mins without being slapped with huge extra tax fees).
The import duty on video cameras levied on the wholesale import price is a 4.9% which is hardly huge. By way of comparison VAT (sales tax) is 20-25% levied on the retail price.
Old April 28th, 2012, 11:44 AM   #22
Trustee

The total extra in taxes would amount to millions of dollars/sterling and the fact remains that Canon and other companies making DSLRs are not willing to pay that amount of money, or pass it on to the consumer (which is what would eventually happen, at our cost). And why should they, especially when the main sales of DSLRs is to stills photographers and not videographers.

I only mentioned the facts to provide that information to those reading this thread who may have wondered why DSLRs cannot shoot video for more than 30-mins at a time. There is no real need to discuss more on this subject because there are volumes of previous threads in the archives of DVinfo forum.
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #23
Inner Circle

If I want to shoot 24p or 30p on my XF305 then Canon will charge me about £400 to upgrade the firmware to give me that facility likewise if someone with an NTSC model wants to shoot 25p. That is a huge extra tax except in this case it's payable to Canon. If Canon offered a 5D Mk III (Video version) with no recording limit the price would only need to be about £100 more to cover the import duty.
Old April 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Not to change subjects but, well, to put this thread back on topic:

I followed the instructions from Ted and the Wiki and I don't get the confirmation screen that the install instructions say I should see here: Unified/Install - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

After doing the firmware update with all the files from the ML Unified zip file in the root of the card, the Camera boots quickly into the Canon Firmware. It says the FW level is 2.1.1-ml. If I restart the camera, it reverts to Canon 2.1.1.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any suggestions? TIA

Last edited by Les Wilson; April 28th, 2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old April 28th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #25
Inner Circle

These are the files on the 1GB San Disk CF card.
Attached Thumbnails
Magic Lantern Install Advice please-screen-shot-2012-04-28-3.42.08-pm.png  
Old April 29th, 2012, 05:23 AM   #26
Inner Circle

This problem was resolved thanks to Ted. There's a step in the instructions where you Clear Settings. While seemingly innocuous, it is apparently critical. Also, once the camera boots up with ML, one must press the Trash Can icon to get the ML menus.
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:37 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Les,

how is it working out for you so far?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
This problem was resolved thanks to Ted. There's a step in the instructions where you Clear Settings. While seemingly innocuous, it is apparently critical. Also, once the camera boots up with ML, one must press the Trash Can icon to get the ML menus.
Dave Luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:49 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I am pleased with it so far but haven't done a shoot. I was however, able to configure it in a way I like. It has a nice feature whereby in Live View, you can use the joystick to Up/Down certain settings such as WB, ISO, headphone volume and record volume.

RIght now, I can't enable False COlors without drilling into the menu. THere's supposed to be a way to make it a "Display Preset" but I can't find a way to create one.

I have a low tolerance for fussy installation schemes and software that unnecessarily burdens the user because the programmer was lazy. I have to say the the Unified release is well done in that regard. There's even an in camera help that explains all 3 bazillion settings. :-)
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD