Magic Lantern Install Advice please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 27th, 2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Magic Lantern Install Advice please

I posted in the Magic Lantern thread for advice, but doesn't look like anyone goes there very often! lol!

I'm a newbie to ML and after about 2 hours and watching many conflicting youtube videos and looking over the ML website - I appear to be thoroughly confused as to what to download and how to go about it!!!!

I have 2.0.8 firmware on my 5DMKII and I believe the current version is 2.1.1. - Do I instal this or get ahold of 2.0.9 (some reports I've seen saying 2.1.1 not working with ML)

If so I can't seem to find the firmware 2.0.9 to download!

Regarding ML - should I be downloading the AJ 5.9 version?

Thanks for your time.
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Magic Lantern Install Advice please

Download the latest. canon firmware 2.1.1

And go to this thread, donate any amount to get the Unified ML only for 5D mkII, which is stable and much more functional and streamlined interface;

Release 2011Dec22 - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Then follow the thread here and "go with the flow" in getting information and updates;

Releaselog. Go here for latest ML Builds. - Magic Lantern User Group forum on Vimeo

ML is always an ongoing process so keep monitoring for new functionality. Right now, there is a current, feb 18 release which you can update your downloaded dec 22 version.

Also the donation not only gives you ML but gives you a scripted workflow to split and compile for you your HDR video which is only in the unified version not in the AJ version.

Hope this helps clear your confusion.
Old February 28th, 2012, 04:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ted - thanks very much for that information - really helped. I wasn't sure if I was best to update to 2.1.1 or not.

Many thanks
Old February 28th, 2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Regular Crew

when I donated the money and clicked through to the link, I download a folder called :

ML-5D2 - unified-2011Dec22 - EarlyPreview

the fact it's called 'EarlyPreview' is this the main installer package for ML, or do I have to install the files first from the blue 'DOWNLOAD' link at the the top end of this page?

Release 2011Dec22 - Magic Lantern Firmware Wiki

Sorry if I'm being a pain - really don't want to mess this up and I always exercise on the cautious side with these sort of things!
Old February 28th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Trustee

Martin, I will be glad to walk you through the process, we can chat via instant message to have a faster feedback time. Add me for IM, my yahoo IM is tedramasola@yahoo.com
Old February 28th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Ted,

that's fantastic! Really appreciate you going out your way. I've signed up with an account for Yahoo for this and will be on for the next several hours at least.

Cheers
Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #7
Tourist

Hi Martin,

I just spent several hours on the Magic Lantern forums looking for information on the current features for the 5D Mark II... and I can assure you that you are not the only one who gets very, very confused on that site. I was unable to find an answer to my question as to whether or not there is... or will be in the future... an intervalometer for timelapse photography? So if you or Ted or anyone could answer that for me... it would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks!

Dale
Dale Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Trustee

Hello Dale,

There is now a built in intervalometer using ML. In fact it has different modes for timelapse. You can also use the intervalometer in live view mode to do timelapse video or photos, you can also activate silent picture in live view mode so you can save the shutter count. ;)

Hope that helps.

Ted
Old April 4th, 2012, 05:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I tried the latest version of ML on my 5DMKII 3 weeks ago and about had a heart attack. It seemed to boot up just fine but as soon as I started to go through the menu's to try some of the features my camera just locked up......twice. The second time I feared I had "bricked" the camera as the "ML removal" instructions are a bit off. Are type of cards a consideration? I used a SanDisk Extreme 60MB/s 32 GB which has never given me any problems in the year I've had it. Is ML's new version just flakey on the 5D? That experience was NOT fun....I'm just saying.
Dave Luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #10
Trustee

which features did you try that locked?
Old April 5th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Ramasola View Post
which features did you try that locked?
Ted,

if memory serves me the first lock up was on "follow focus" and the second was just bringing up one of the menu's. I should have documented exactly what was done but I did not. I don't have the confidence to try it again until there is more feedback on stability. I cannot afford to damage this camera.

I'd love to hear back from 5D MK II owners here @DVINFO that are using the current version of ML and their experience with using it during actual shoots (not just playing around).
Old April 8th, 2012, 06:00 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Can someone provide a concise list of all the features that the Dec 22 2011 unified release for the 5D provides? Not just deltas from a prior release... all the features. The change log for that release isn't published. TIA
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Now that Canon only has 2.1.2 firmware to upgrade, will that work with unified?

Also, DAVE, were you trying unified or AJ? I am looking into going down the ML route, and the last thing I want is to be the proud owner of a $2000 paper weight. Hope your camera came around.
Zachary Mattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Zac it was "unified". The camera is fine but I got quite the scare. I've seen the AJ version but I thought I read it only works with a previous firmware version. As of right now I don't feel comfortable retrying it until I see some more positive feedback. I could really use the features but I don't have the cash to shell out for a MK III.
Old April 14th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #15
Trustee

Do try the ML unified. As long as you follow the instructions well, its worth the effort.

When you download the 5D unified I believe among the files is a copy of the 2.1.1 firmware, if not I think there is a link in the ML webpage where you can download the 2.1.1 canon firmware.

You can roll it back. Besides, the only fix in the 2.1.2 version is this;

Optimizes the camera’s performance when using certain UDMA 7-compatible CF cards released in February 2012 or later.

I too was scared at first and didnt use previous MLs as they looked funky and seemed buggy. But since the UNIFIED version came out last december, I saw new programmers coming onboard and they streamlined the GUI and made it stable.

I've been using it on my 5D ever since.

If during you experimentations with the features the camera hang up, and this can happen due to a lot of reason for instance, slow card, or you test a feature not optimized for the 5d but for the others like 60d t2i, etc, simply open the battery door, slide out battery for a sec, slide it back in, and it should boot up again.

Once you see the new features capable on your 5D mk2, you'll think twice if you will need to spend more for a mk3. Unless of course you have the resources to get a new cam. :)

If you need assistance do send me an email and I can walk you through the process via instant messaging.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD