MA300 XLR microphone adapter - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 25th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #136

Imran,

Thanks for the feedback.

Just to make myself clear -- according to a rep. from Studio One, the XLR BP can only be used with Dynamic microphones. Their next model up is the XLR BP Pro, which sells for $180, as compared to Sign Video's XLR pro which sells for $150.

Does anyone know if the XLR pro can be used with microphones besides dynamic only?

Thanks again.
Old May 26th, 2004, 12:49 AM   #137
Old Boot

Canon's MA300?

Why not? I've got it .. it works AND its got a BNC connector AND another cold shoe AND another a mic clamp too?!?! Why don't people suggest this? Do others know something I don't? .. . oh yeah .. it NOW looks like Sony's aduio "pods" they've designed-in to their "other" range too . . . hmmm... Canon must be doing something right here? . . . oh yeah . . it isn't bolted underneath the cammie!

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 08:58 PM   #138
New Boot

Modifying the GL2 MA-300 Adapter...

Has anyone ever tried adding a switch / circuit to make the MA-300 XLR adapter for the GL2 Mono/Stereo? I believe (I'm hoping) it should be rather easy. Running a wye-splitter into both jacks when taping handheld with a wireless receiver is bulky and bizaar. HELP!!!

Thanks, Christian
Old May 31st, 2004, 09:46 PM   #139
Old Boot

Are you saying you want the Mono feed to appear on both tracks? This isn't "stereo" it is the same feed on both tracks .. So I guess you're wanting the audio to appear on/in your NLE as 2 audio tracks. Why not double up the tracks in your edit, in post. This way:

1 - You wont muck up your MA300

2 - You've always got a spare XLR for another mono feed.

I've done both the "Y" and the separate recordings to each track. Others might have other views.

Grazie
Old June 1st, 2004, 03:57 PM   #140
New Boot

My reason is this... I want my one input recorded on both tracks. If theres a dropout on one the other will cover it's arse. If it wasnt important I reckon Beachtek wouldnt include the feature on all their boxes either...
Old June 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM   #141
Trustee

It is more likely that the drop out will be caused by the source, i.e your microphone. In this case your drop out will be duplicated on both tracks...
Old June 1st, 2004, 07:50 PM   #142
Regular Crew

not all NLEs

not all NLEs provide for duplicating the missing audio channel. this is a shortcoming of the canon adapter and another reason to consider the beachtek.
Hank Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2004, 09:25 PM   #143
Major Player

Low Volume with MA-300

Wondering if anybody has experienced this before.

With the Canon MA-300 microphone adapter and an Azden SGM-1X shotgun mic, my recording levels are on the low side.
If I plug the mic right into the camera using a XLR-mini adapter cable, the recording levels are noticeably louder (and better sounding). I have the audio set to manual and at the same level for both tests.
Is this a 'feature' of the MA-300? Is there any settings I should be aware of?

Thanks
Old July 9th, 2004, 12:24 AM   #144
Old Boot

Jeff, granted I've got the Senni k66, but I haven't noticed this. I'll do a test later this morning . . hmmm...

Grazie
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:19 AM   #145
Major Player

Well I have decided after several other tests that I am not that thrilled with the Azden SGM-1X

I thought it would sound much better than it does.

I just got a deal of a lifetime on a used Sennheiser ME66/K6 so hopefully it solves my audio problems.
Old July 12th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #146
Wrangler

The Senn ME66 has substantially higher output than the Azden, a far better mic to boot!
Old January 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #147
Regular Crew

GL2 and MA-300

Good Day All,

I am the a/v coordinator at my church and we will be purchasing the GL2 this week. I have numerous questions, but I will only ask a few now and follow up with more later.

With the MA-300, what is the best way to get the sound from the soundboard (Mackie 32) and also getting the sound from the congregation? With getting the sound from the Mackie, will I need anything to reduce any unwanted noise/sound going direct from the soundboard to the GL2?

2nd Question: I will be using Video Vegas 5 +DVD to edit and author DVDs. Has anyone done this and what problems if any have you experience or words of wisdom.

I have general concepts of the a/v world from my degree in tv/radio, but haven't used any of my degree since I got commissioned in the Air Force. I have a love and passion, but the technology has changed greatly from when I was in school with 30 lb cameras and 3/4 inch tape. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

I must say I have done a lot of reading on DV and this is an OUTSTANDING forum for newbys and those in the middle of the road!!!!
Old January 17th, 2005, 09:55 PM   #148
Fred Retread

Hi Ryan, welcome to the forum.

I use a GL2 and often take a signal from a Mackie sound board, and I use Vegas 5 + DVD. My main venues are high school and cummunity theater auditoriums. I think that you and your "customers" will be thrilled with the DVD product you will be able to produce.

I recommend against the MA-300. It's usable, but if you haven't already bought it, or it's returnable, get a Beachtek adaptor instead, preferably the DXA-8. This will greatly increase your versatility. But even the DXA-4 is much better than the MA-300, and for about the same price.

Assuming that the church's PA sysem is working off the stereo outputs, I would plan on taking your signal from the Balanced Mono Out (not Monitor Out). That output is post eq, post fade and post mute, so you get the true mono mix of whatever the operator is sending to the stereo outputs. You will need a 1/4" TRS to 3-pin XLR male adaptor, and a suitable length of XLR cable. I would also purchase a few in line attenuators. because the DXA-8 is designed for mic level and Makie's Mono Out is a mix of the amplifed stereo output, controlled by the stereo faders. The stereo outputs normally go to the inputs of a power amplifier so the faders are not likely to be set too high for your use of the Mono (with attenuators), and not likely to be changed during an event. But check with the operator.

The output from the board is nice and pure, but as you apparently already know, can sound sterile if not mixed with some room sound. This is especially important when you have an audience or a congregation. So the idea is to take a line from the board into one of the GL2's stereo channels and a mic input into the other. Many mics will do the job for you, but don't get a shotgun like many people are inclined to do for their first mic (only a good idea if it's going to be a roving camera with a camera mounted mic). A cardiod or hypercardiod placed on a stand is better for indoor coverage. I use an AT 3031 cardiod.

Yes, this is a great site, easily one of the best on the internet, and you can get advice much more expert than mine on mics and on Vegas in their respective forums.

[Edit--I forgot to mention that the MA300 and the DXA-8 are both designed for mics, so attenuators are required in order to use them with line level inputs]

Best of luck!
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #149
Major Player

Ryan,

I agree with Fred: The BeachTek DXA-4 is preferred over the MA-300. While the MA-300 has XLR inputs, it is NOT balanced inputs. I have used the DXA-4 with great success. The DXA-8 adds phantom power and limiters, so if your budget permits, this will provide you will more capability and flexibility as Fred said.

Good luck.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #150
Regular Crew

Fred and Pete,

Thanks for the information. The two of you have been very helpful and I will be checking into the recommendations you have offered.

I do have some questions. With the DXA-4, thanks Pete for the link, does it have an attachment to allow you to connect it to the tripod. I see where it allows you to connect it to the camera, but does it allow you to connect it to the tripod. Being in the military you never want to assume, therefore I am a true believer that there is no such thing as a "dumb question".

Fred, what type(s) of attenuators do you recommend. Also with your recommendation, where can I find out more stuff about them. We do have a sound person who will definitely understand what you are talking about, but I believe knowledge is power, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

What are some of the places to purchase the DXA-4, the attenuators, and the AT 3031 cardiod?

Thanks again, and I'm sure you will be hearing from me again.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders