MA300 XLR microphone adapter - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 03:08 PM   #211
Major Player

Location: Central North Carolina (Raleigh, Durham, & surrounding areas)
My first thought was a 60 Hz hum. Sounds like you've got it figured out. Congrats! BTW, I keep an old fashioned 2 to 3 wire AC adapter in my kit for just such a reason. It's pulled me out of a pinch more than once!

Mark
Mark Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:11 PM   #212
Wrangler

It is a ground loop.

If you have components in the system that use different outlets (i.e., not on the same surge protector) that can cause it. An outlet with ground and hot leads (whilte and black wire) reversed can cause it.

The low cost BNC-RCA adapter I've seen do nothing but change the form of the connection. They are hard wired through, and will not help with a gound loop.

If disconnecting the XLR leades audio clears the problem, you mgiht try a ground lifter on your balanced lines.

Or, simpler, if disconnecting the RCA clears it, try a "Ground Loop Isolator" that Radio Shack sells for the RCA audio leads. At one time the part number was 270-054, about $17 these days, and it is stereo. I've used them with success.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:47 PM   #213
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Hansen
No, the buzz is there when the everything is connected to the MA-300 (2 XLRs, RCA in, RCA out). I also noticed it when just the XLRs are plugged in to the MA-300.

I think I will have to try the RCA-BNC converters.
If the buzz is there when you unplug the BNC from the MA-300, the BNC/RCA adaptor won't help - it was just a thought to eliminate the MA-300 video line as a source of the loop.

It sounds like you will require a ground loop isolator as has been suggested.

Cheers,
Kyle
Kyle Ringin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #214
Tourist

Audio issue with a Canon Ma300 on a GL2

I used a MA 300 today for the 1st time and the issue I have is that it seems that when the MA 300 is on the camera you loose the audio out put to your headphones I removed the MA 300 and the audio returned.

I this just a setting or just how it works?

Vivianne
Vivianne Olver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:43 AM   #215
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivianne Olver View Post
I used a MA 300 today for the 1st time and the issue I have is that it seems that when the MA 300 is on the camera you loose the audio out put to your headphones I removed the MA 300 and the audio returned.

I this just a setting or just how it works?

Vivianne
No!! Not at all .. I've been using this combo for 4 years .. yeah? And it just works.

Because you haven't said any different, I'm assuming:

You DID have the cans in the correct socket?

You DID have your headphone vol level up?

You DID connect your external mic to the XLRs correctly?

You HAVE checked that the mic you used has a proper XLR-OUT to XLR-IN option?

Please can you check to see/hear that you CAN get levels without the MA300 INTO your cans? Yeah?

And, once again, it does work!! No 2 ways about it.

Cheers,

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:26 AM   #216
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Bernard View Post
No!! Not at all .. I've been using this combo for 4 years .. yeah? And it just works.

Because you haven't said any different, I'm assuming:

You DID have the cans in the correct socket?

You DID have your headphone vol level up?

You DID connect your external mic to the XLRs correctly?

You HAVE checked that the mic you used has a proper XLR-OUT to XLR-IN option?

Please can you check to see/hear that you CAN get levels without the MA300 INTO your cans? Yeah?

And, once again, it does work!! No 2 ways about it.

Cheers,

Grazie
This is what I checked

I tried both XLR inputs on the MA300

I did check the Headphone volume because when I removed the MA300 I had audio in the headphones

I tested two mics both with a extension cable and without

I am using Shure SM11 dynamic lavalier microphone

I do see audio levels on display from the mics

Thanks for the input
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:22 AM   #217
Old Boot

Quote:
This is what I checked

I tried both XLR inputs on the MA300

I did check the Headphone volume because when I removed the MA300 I had audio in the headphones

I tested two mics both with a extension cable and without

I am using Shure SM11 dynamic lavalier microphone

I do see audio levels on display from the mics

Thanks for the input
Well, this kinda confirms that everything works as it should:

1) - You ARE getting a signal FROM the MA300, 'cos you can SEE the levels. To my mind this removes the idea that the MA300 is faulty - yes?

OR . .

2) IF the MA300 was faulty OR the pins and connections to the XM2 weren't seated correctly you could STILL be getting audio THROUGH the on-board mic - and therefore SEEING audio levels. See my point?

Or . .

3) When you connect the MA300, do you see, in the LCD or EP what looks like a tiny "C" Icon to the LEFT of the 2 AUDIO Levels? This denotes that the MA300 is attached and working as should?

Interesting . . very interesting!!

Grazie
Old May 23rd, 2007, 03:26 AM   #218
Tourist

I put the shoe on my camera yesterday with the same cable and mic and it works so who knows what the problem was

But thank you for all you in put

Vivianne
Old May 23rd, 2007, 04:03 AM   #219
Old Boot

Quote:
I put the shoe on my camera yesterday with the same cable and mic and it works so who knows what the problem was
Yeah, could be a better seating of the pins and tabs. Did you use the thumb wheel to screw it in position? My guess would now be that whatever was isolating the stream to the heads, has now making contact.
Old July 30th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #220
Regular Crew

MA300 or Beachtek?

I have a GL-2 with the MA300 already but have never used the MA300. I've seen some comments here the Beachtek is a better setup except for the XLR jacks being on the wrong side.

I checked out Beachtek's website and it appears the unit is mounted under the cam. Where does the mic mount or do I need to fashion a mount for the mic?

What features does the Beachtek have over the MA300?

Mic I have is a Sennheiser 66 shotgun mic to be used for wildlife filming.

Thank you

Last edited by Jesse James; July 31st, 2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo
Jesse James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 04:09 AM   #221
Regular Crew

I haven't used any of those adapters yet so I can't say anything from personal experience. I do suppose you'll need a shockmount if you're planning on mounting the mic on top of the camera.

Good thing to check out the DVEstore product review of the beachtek:

http://dvcreators.net/beachtek-xlr-adapters

Greetz,

Merlin
Old July 31st, 2007, 06:01 AM   #222
Wrangler

FYI: Alternatives to Beachtek include similar products form SignVideo.com and Studio1Production.com.

Which is better depends on your specific needs. Generally the third party devices are passive, provide no gain, but usually offer some increased flexibility for connections, including ability to cope with line-level inputs. Read the specs of the unit you are considering to be sure of its capabilities.

The MA300 offers perhaps 6 dB additional gain and is designed specifically for use with the Canon, does not support line-level input.
Old July 31st, 2007, 07:33 AM   #223
New Boot

I just shot my first video with the MA300 this weekend and I am very impressed with the results. I was doing a fake news style interview on the street with a cheaper non-directional mic and it worked great. I just ordered a wireless mic set up for it as well. The down side is I have nothing to compare it to, this is the first prosumer cam i bought, so everything is just better ingeneral.
Derrick Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:35 AM   #224
New Boot

just a note, the canon deal doesn't supply phantom power, so if you have a mic that needs phantom, you'll have to look elsewhere.
Richard M. Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2007, 09:20 PM   #225
Regular Crew

Thank you for the comments. I'm going to give the MA300 a whirl and see how it performs. If I'm not happy then I'll try the Beachtek.
Jesse James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders