DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   MA300 XLR microphone adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3692-ma300-xlr-microphone-adapter.html)

David Ennis January 18th, 2005 04:32 PM

Ryan, B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com) is the best place to buy all things audio and video online. Trustworthy, huge selection, extensive product descriptions and specs posted for most items, friendly, knowledgeable staff when you call, fast delivery, no-hassle returns for refund or exchange. They are a sponsor of this web site.

All of the BeachTek adaptors attach to the camera's tripod mount. On the flip side of the BeachTek is its own tripod mount. So it winds up in the middle. Very solid and professional looking, with the control knobs handy.

I have two Audio Technica AT8202 in line attenuators. They cost about $44 each. They have a slide switch for setting them to -10, -20 or -30 dB of attenuation.

You can find out lots by just doing google searches on the words you're interested in. You can also ask audio questions in the Now Hear This forum. Very helpful pros there. I like my AT3031 (actually I have two so I can set up a stereo pair if I want to), but I suggest that you ask for recommendations in the Now Hear This forum before you decide. I've seen others post who do church work.

Finally (for now) Mackie has a great website with FAQs, downloadable instruction manuals for their gear, and such. They will also answer any specific questions you have via email.

Ryan Calloway January 18th, 2005 05:03 PM

Thanks Fred,

You have been very helpful! I will continue to browse through the different areas of this great forum.

I was able to do some google searches to find some of the information you spoke on and I did find that the DXA-4 connects to the tripod.

Thanks again!!!

Ryan Calloway January 18th, 2005 05:12 PM

To Anyone:

Do you recommend using a remote control zoom? If so, what do you recommend. I have researched the ZR-100 and the VZ-Rock DVX. There is $100 difference in price and I know you generally get what you pay for, but just looking for a little reassurance before I make the purchase. Are there any other brands between the $150-$250 price range that are realiable and durable. Looking to use them during church service and weddings to make sure I have nice controlled zooms.

Having a focussing options is not necessary if it is going to significantly increase the price. We are training churh youth to operate cameras and audio equipment (with obvious adult supervision). However, they haven't mastered the controlled zoom using the zoom control on the camera. I'm searching for the zoom control with variable spd control so that I can elimnate the start, stop, start that our youth are doing.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Chris Hurd January 18th, 2005 08:12 PM

Ryan

<< Do you recommend using a remote control zoom? >>

In my book this is the single most useful thing you can buy.

There are a lot of articles about zoom controllers on my site at http://www.dvinfo.net. For starters, see http://www.dvinfo.net/canongl2/artic...ive.php#zr1000 -- hope this helps,

Ryan Calloway January 18th, 2005 11:22 PM

Thanks Chris,

A lot of the information you mention I have seen, but now it makes sense. Thanks again.

David Ennis January 19th, 2005 12:12 PM

The Sony VCT-870 RM may be worth your consideration. It is a mid sized tripod with a pretty good built in variable zoom controller on the handle. It also has a record/pause button and a power standby button.

I have one that I use with my GL2. The zoom function works nicely. The tripod head is not a true fluid head, but the tilting and panning are very smooth. My only complaint is that the tripod is lightly built, so the video trembles noticeably if I bump the pan handle or a leg, or grasp the handle or let it go without deliberate care.

But the price is right, $135 at B&H.

This is not a professional quality tripod, but with care it's been a great solution for me for my work at my level. It will tide me over until I stop investing in audio and can afford a better tripod and separate controller.

Ryan Calloway January 21st, 2005 12:11 AM

Thanks Fred,

I do have a Tripod already, but we will be looking to get another once we get money to get another GL2. Thanks for the information. I still have more questions, but I have to digest all of the information I have thus far. I shall return. Thanks again to all that have helped thus far.

Ian Stark March 18th, 2005 08:00 AM

MA-300 video out question

I'm curious to know whether using the video out BNC connector on the MA-300 mic adaptor gives different/better results than using the AV out on the XM/GL2.

The signal is going into a JVC monitor (BNC).

In fact, thinking about it, why did they put the video out on the MA-300 in the first place?

Any ideas?

Darko Flajpan March 18th, 2005 11:24 AM

I think idea was to provide BNC for some monitors. For example, i was once in studio where i needed to connect my XM2 to video panel, and they only had BNC cables (silly,but true), so MA300 came out pretty handy. I doubt, howewer, there could be any difference in quality.

Graham Bernard March 18th, 2005 01:15 PM

And don't forget the Lil Cutesy Wire!

Ah yes! And don't forget to use the "cutesy" lil wire to get your video UP to the MA300. It don't go via the hot shoe - NICE ONE CANON - you could have gone the other 2" on this one!

Unbridled silliness!

Grazie

Ian Stark March 18th, 2005 01:22 PM

Hi Grazie,

Yep, took me a couple of goes before I sussed that one (ie bothered to read the manual).

Which of course leads me to the original point. Why not go straight from the AV out port to your destination. I tried it today with a phono to BNC adaptor and I couldn't discern any difference in quality from going out of the MA-300 BNC.

I think Darko is probably right - it's for those occasions where you ONLY have BNC cables (and probably forgot that cutsey lil wire!).

I'm not complaining though; I like lots of ins and outs on my gear. I was just curious!

Ian . . .

Alan McCormick July 17th, 2005 04:32 AM

MA300 tip - Be Warned and be ready

I have had the MA300 adaptor for nearly a year now and use ity with a Sennheiser MKE300 on CH1 and a Senn Radio Mic 0n CH2. It works great at weddings - till yesterday. As normal I had checked it out before setting out for the day, but had to remove it at one point during the day (before the wedding service). When I put it back on both audio inputs were intermittent and with 2 mins before the service we decided to put the RM on the XL1S main camera (day saved). Because of the problem we used the main camera for any audio for the rest of the day.

Now, on inspection this morning I found the culprit, I could have kicked myself for not spotting it yesterday but with the pressure etc not surprised I did not.

If you look at the bottom of the MA300 (hotshoe fitting) you will see 4 very small cross head screws. One of these had come out slightly and had stopped the connections mating correctly hence tthe intermittent audio. I am calm and collected today and will be next shoot.

Be Warned and put a very small watchmakers screwdriver in your Camera bag

Chris Hurd July 17th, 2005 07:45 AM

Excellent tip, Alan.

I'm going to break my own rule against cross-posting and copy this over to the XL2 forum; those folks need to see this as well. Much appreciated,

Graham Bernard July 17th, 2005 01:59 PM

PLUS the OTHER 4 screws!

I think I posted about this about a year ago? Maybe not. OK - NOW see the 4 screws - 2 pairs - on each side of the foot. See them? Wellll... I lost, yes lost one and I replaced and re-screwed these in too!

So! 8 screws . . tighten 'em up NOW! Go on! Git on with it!

Grazie

Alan McCormick July 18th, 2005 01:00 AM

Chris,
I only referenced the XL1S as it was the other Cam, the MA300 is only applicable to the XM2 (I think).

Grazie,

I must have missed your previous post so I just checked the other 4 screws, many thanks.