DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   MA300 XLR microphone adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3692-ma300-xlr-microphone-adapter.html)

Jeff Donald February 20th, 2003 12:24 AM

Sound Devices makes the MM-1, the finest pre-amp on the market in my opinion. It's pricey, but you said the best.

Ken Tanaka February 20th, 2003 12:26 AM

There's a link to the Rolls in one of my last posts on that thread.

The MM-1 can be found at Sound Devices' site.

Aaron Rosen February 23rd, 2003 03:28 PM

Thanks for the links guys. Do these preamps offer XLR connections?

Noka Aldoroty April 11th, 2003 03:55 PM

MA-300 Question...

Question to anyone who owns the MA-300 microphone adapter:

What are the pros & cons of using the BNC video output of the MA-300 to patch into an external monitor, versus the RCA cables that can be patched directly from the back of the GL2 with the RCA inputs that come with the camera. Why route it through the MA-300 at all?

Just curious...

James Emory April 11th, 2003 11:21 PM

You said it!

I can't believe Canon did this. How hard would it have been to include a video return with those hardwired audio returns to the camera? There is no technical advantage except that you now don't need a BNC adapter to use a pro monitor but you DO now need a video patch cord to use that BNC connector from the 300 to the camera. Who approves these things before they hit production? Unbelievable!!

Noka Aldoroty April 12th, 2003 01:21 AM

Oh, and one more thing...

I have one more question concerning the MA-300. How can I get it to input audio in stereo? I have only one shotgot microphone, patched into one of two XLR inputs on the MA-300. The two XLR inputs are labeled Left and Right, but with one microphone source, how do I get sound into both the left and right channels? What's the best solution?

James Emory April 12th, 2003 02:00 AM

XLR Y Adapter

All you need to accomplish your goal is to get an XLR Y adapter. B&H or any pro audio store should carry these. I got mine from B&H who resells the Comprehensive brand. They also carry the general brand. I think they're all the same to tell you the truth. Look for the Neutrik name on the shells for best quality assurance.

Graham Bernard April 12th, 2003 02:11 AM

DO now need a video patch cord to use that BNC connector from the 300 to the camera

Errmm . . . I think I got one of these cables that came with my XM2 kit. - I've asked several people about the BNC, and they too were a bit bemused with the "loop" back to do this. Another wire to loose eh?

Graham Bernard April 12th, 2003 02:19 AM

"What's the best solution?"

"...how do I get sound into both the left and right channels? " - Well there is an argument that you could do this in post with any more than average competant NLE s/w. I have used SoFo's Video Factory [$45-ish USD] gives the option to "pan" the audio to L>R or R>L AND find a balance on that split mono - yeah? Did this with my mono analogue Panny Cammy - works like a dream.

I say there is an argument for doing this in post because you could leave the "other" XLR channel for "other" audio input - wireless, ambient non-shotgun mic - yeah? Doing stuff in post -including colour correction - means you have far more creative control of the final production. If it aint in the can you can't create it in post.

Hey what do I know! - I'm still learning.

Grazie - Sorry Chris, can't get away from my nickname - yeah?

Noka Aldoroty April 12th, 2003 02:32 AM

Mixing Left and Right

I'll be doing most of my editing work in Final Cut Pro, and being able to drag shots into the timeline with dialogue already mixed evenly between the left and right channels will save me having to manually add the dialogue into the second channel for every single shot. If dialogue is recorded evenly in the left and right channel, I can pan the audio left and right within FCP easily enough if it is necessary. So, am I hearing correctly that the XLR Y splitter is my best bet for this?

Graham Bernard April 12th, 2003 04:53 AM

I haven't used FCP. I can't comment, other than doing a test to confirm what's best for you - either way. Recording on both channels? Does it produce better quality? Again I don't know - others can chip in here. - Like I said, I recorded mono and panned to get a pseudo stereo effect - this was in SoFO Video Factory.

James Emory April 12th, 2003 11:59 AM

Dual audio

Why would you want to create more work for yourself later when you could spend 20.00 ONE time and get the result you are looking for on site every time?

Jim Treganza April 13th, 2003 11:57 AM

MA-300 Question

Can somebody tell me, can a MA-300 be used with a GL-1?

Thanks.

Chris Hurd April 13th, 2003 12:35 PM

Jim!

Good to hear from you. Hope to see you again soon at one of the shows.

The MA300 cannot be used with the GL1, as the MA300 is an Intelligent Accessory Shoe device (it sends audio through the hotshoe on the GL2). Since the GL1 shoe is "cold," that is, it's not wired and therefore not "intelligent," it is incompatible with the MA300.

Hope this helps, and sure hope to see you here more often!

Jim Treganza April 13th, 2003 12:43 PM

Thanks Chris! Great to hear from "The Master" himself. Hope things are going well for you.