DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   MA300 XLR microphone adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3692-ma300-xlr-microphone-adapter.html)

Ken Tanaka March 2nd, 2004 11:55 AM

Apparently not!

I suspect that the future version of the XL will (finally) incorporate phantom power and built-in XLR's. But I'm not so confident about a future version of the GL having this feature.

Meanwhile, there's always the Beachtek DXA-4P.

Emilio Olivares March 21st, 2004 02:24 AM

GL2 External Mic Question

Hello everyone,

Gotta question, I'm trying to figure out the following:
If I connect an external mic to the MIC terminal in my GL2, will I still get audio from the on-board mic? Will the mono signal from the external mic be one the left channel? If so, does it cancel out the audio from left channel of the on-board mic?

Another question: how would you connect two wireless mics to the cam and control their levels without a mixer. Do I need one of these (or something similar?):
http://www.signvideo.com/xlr-pro_xlr_adapter-audio-mixer.htm

Thanks all!

Regards,
Emilio

Alan Craven March 21st, 2004 03:51 AM

If you plug an external microphone into the mic socket, it automatically disconnects both channels of the built in microphone.

A mono microphone will play left channel only. You will get noise on the right channel.

Most editing software will allow you to duplicate the L channel on to the R channel to give dual channel mono.

If there are no impedance problems, you can use a female mono/male stereo adaptor between your microphone and the camera socket.

Graham Bernard March 21st, 2004 04:00 AM

Canon MA300 for me . .. .

I decided to go down the Canon Audio Adaptor MA300 route. This gives 2xXLR and other stuff too. It sits in the HOT shoe of the XM2 . .

There are pluses and minus' with this setup, as too with screwing a box under the cammie itself. This is the "type" of box which you've found out about. Others here will suggest the BEECHTEK [ spelling may be out . . ].

Anyways, using XLRis a very good way to go. It gives the "clean" pro sound. I guess you've got say what you will be needing it for in the near future and could you see this investment payng off . . yeah?

I have external Sennihieser kit:

1 - A senni EVOL100 Wirless kit [ ltie mic ]

2 - The ME66, shotgun with the K6 power module.

I connect each of the 2 XLR inputs on the MA300 and get a fabulous "feeling" of controllable and clean sound. When I come to edit in Vegas, I then have LEFT and RIGHT as Wirless mic and Shotgun mic. Great stuff. Just did a whole load of interviews. These mics and the MA300 setup was the perfect setup for me.

If I was connecting 2 wireless mics, then I would remove the shotgun . . . yeah? Then I could "mix" on camera. This is the way I've been taught. I'm more concerned to get the best and cleanest sound coming TO the cammie. Then any further "mixing" I can do weithin Vegas. I treat sound the same as video. GET the BEST in the can. NOW, mic attenuation is THE way for me to get the levels set and maybe a little down or up twisting of the dials to fine tune it, gets me thru' the night.

At the end of the day, Emilio, it is very straight forward. BUT getting audio and the BEST you can for your budget is the only way to go. I wish others starting out spent more time on addressing the forlorn poor cousin of vide . . namely AUDIO! - Hey Good audio can MAKE an average video . . BUT poor audio can totally RUIN an excellent piece of video .. been there cdone that . . got the scars - yeah?

Hope this helps .. Others will come in with their own observations and suggestions.

Best regards,

Grazie

Emilio Olivares March 21st, 2004 11:29 AM

Thanks Grazie and Alan for your replies. Really helpful insight guys. I've definitely learned a lot using this forum, and all of you are to thank!!

Grazie,
Another question, using the MA300 you've got two inputs. Is that, two mono inputs, left and right? Or, two stereo, on four left and right channels?

Regards,
Emilio

Richard Willoughby March 29th, 2004 11:18 AM

Canon L1 stereo/zoom mic and the GL2

I have a Canon L1. It has a mic (stereo/zoom) that came with it. Has anyone ever hooked it up to the GL2? Would it work just from the hotshoe or do I need to get and extension cable 3" to reach the mic output?

I remember seeing on the board that someone used it this way before but I can't find the thread.

I'm shooting a reporter interviewing Gem experts at a Jewel convention atmosphere in a convention center.

Or will the onboard mic of my GL2 work fine?

Thanks for the help

Richard

Rob Wilson March 29th, 2004 11:36 AM

Richard,

I would strongly recommend against using the built in mic for an interview in a noisy envrioment (actually pretty much anytime but especially here). You'll be picking up LOTS of sound that you don't want. Best would be to mic both with lav's, next best would be a good boom shotgun boom mounted.

Richard Willoughby March 29th, 2004 11:51 AM

Thanks Rob,

What about a Sure SM57 mic that he could hold? Would the GL2 pick this up as stereo or mono?

Richard

Rob Wilson March 29th, 2004 12:46 PM

Richard,

Looks like that is a XLR mic so assuming you'll be using an adapter of some sort, yep, it'll record to just one channel. Plugging any external mic in to the GL2 disables the onboard mic so you'll just be getting that one channel.

No personal experience with that particular mic but it'll be waaaay better than using the onboard. Just make sure the interviewer points the mic in the vicinity of the source.

Richard Willoughby March 29th, 2004 03:11 PM

Thanks Again Rob,
This helps a lot!!!

I'm gonna try to get and adapter......

Richard

Andrew Gardener March 30th, 2004 11:37 PM

Hi
I recently purchased the XLR Pro from sign video ,only took 4 days to arrive (from placing order and i'm in the UK).Very pleased with both the service from SignVideo and the XLR Pro.The only dissadvantage to getting the XLR Pro(or similar Beachtek etc) over the MA-300 is you will have to get a hot shoe shock mount if you want to sit the mic on the camera(oh and the MA-300 lets you connect a field monitor). Beyer make a reasonably priced shock mount(just ordered one of those as well it was about £20.Other things to consider when it comes to the mic is ,does it need phantom power or does it take a battery.I have an AudioTechnicaAT4073a(phantom power only)and an AT835b(phantom or battery).So i had to order a phantom power supply,these can be either battery or mains powered and vary in price ,output voltage,number of channels etc.(ordered a PPS2-24v £50apprx),the one i'm getting has two channels and runs off 3 PP3 batteries,so i can connect both mics at the same time.It is a more expensive set up than going for the MA-300 but it's not restricted to just my cam(XM2).I would tsill have needed to buy the phantom power supply anyway for the AT4073a.
Hope that helps
Andy

Guest May 25th, 2004 10:16 AM

Recommend an XLR adaptor????

I'm looking for an XLR adaptor for my GL-2. I'd like
two XLR inputs.

I'm currently considering Sign Video's XLR Pro and Studio One's XLR -BP Pro...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan from Michigan

Andrew Gardener May 25th, 2004 12:00 PM

I opted for the SignVideo XLR Pro,and it seems fine to me .Haven't used it a great deal yet ,only played around,i use it with a battery powered phantom power unit ,and 2 AT mics.The service from Sign was excellent as well,had it within a few days of ordering,and i'm in the UK.I have one of thier Lanc controllers as well,the only downside i've found with the Lanc is i cannot zoom and focus at the same time.In all honesty i don't think there is really much beween the Sign video,studio one and beachtek adapters.With any of those adaptors you will need a hot shoe shock mount if you want to mount the mic on the cam,i opted for beyer 86 shock mount which works fine for me(especially for the price).
Hope that helps.

Guest May 25th, 2004 12:14 PM

Thanks Andrew,

I've been comparing the Sign Video XLR Pro and the adaptor made by Studio One. According to Studio One, their XLR BP ($120) is only for dynamic microphones. If using a condensor, I guess that means you'd have to upgrade to their XLR BP Pro, which retails for $179.00. Sign Video's adaptor is about $149.

If anyone else has any input on these, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again Andrew!

Imran Zaidi May 25th, 2004 12:30 PM

I did a comparison between the Studio One XLRBP-PRO and the Beachtek a while back on this board when I had a GL2. I found the Studio One to allow more sound through, and it was more flexible with the ground lift switch (could be used with a variety of devices and cameras), and I also liked the belt clip method as opposed to the under camera method.

I don't know anything of the Sign Video one, but I can tell you that the XLR BP-PRO is a very good product. If the Sign one is as limited as you mentioned above, I'd shake it off for the Studio One.