DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon GL Series DV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/)
-   -   MA300 XLR microphone adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-gl-series-dv-camcorders/3692-ma300-xlr-microphone-adapter.html)

John Fitch September 9th, 2003 08:51 PM

Thanks for the note, Don. By any chance, would the GL2's microphone attenuator on/off setting allow line-level XLR signals to be sent to the MA-300 inputs? If not, then I can't say I exactly understand the purpose of the microphone attenuator setting, unless it's to be used for connecting a line-level signal to the GL2's 1/8" stereo microphone input.

Don Palomaki September 10th, 2003 04:21 AM

The MIC/MIC ATT setting changes the sensitivity of the min inpout form about 0.001 ivolts to about 0.030 ivolts. It is used when you are in a very loud venue, or have a very sensitive (high output) mic. Think of it as a 2-position volume control.

Line level signals are on the order of 0.300 volts for consumer gear, or 1.0 volts for professional gear. A one volt sine wave is has a voltage swing (peak-to-peak) of abotu 2.8 volts.

Speaking about the MA-100 (the MA-300 is probably similar) a line level signal is large enough to cause the amplifirs in the MA-100 to start to clip/distort. No surprise as it was designed as a microphone adapter. YOu can obtain in-line attenuators with XLR connectors (offered by Shure and others) to address this level issue.

John Fitch September 10th, 2003 06:21 AM

Now that I understand the function of the MIC/MIC ATT setting, does this mean that even with the MA-300 out of the picture, it wouldn't be possible to send a stereo line-level signal to the GL2's 1/8" mic input without any external attenuation? I understand that the GL2 does have manual audio level controls, but nonetheless I doubt that it would be possible to properly use a line-level source with the mic input without having some type of attenuation, which I now realize would probably have to be external since it doesn't appear as though the GL2 has an internal mic to line-level attenuation setting. It's too bad that Canon didn't build this kind of setting into the GL2, especially since it's considered considered a pro/pro-sumer camera.

Don Palomaki September 10th, 2003 08:55 PM

Without access to the GL2 circuit diagrams, or a GL2 for testing, can't say for sure, but it is likely that the input signal to the GL2 mic jack should not exceed around -10 to -20 dB peak for best performance.

Why not try run some tests to see what the limits are for your system and share the results with us all.

John Fitch September 10th, 2003 09:03 PM

I'd love to test the GL2 for line-level inputs, but there's still the minor issue of not having even purchased the camera yet :) Guess I'm just the type of person who likes trying to read up on every little detail before making a purchase. Anyway, if anyone has tried using a line-level source with the GL2's standard 1/8" mic input, any input regarding compatability and/or level mis-matching would be appreciated. Thanks!

Don Palomaki September 11th, 2003 04:35 AM

Looks to me from the GL2 manual that the mic jack is designed to accept only mic level inputs,

It appears to me that the only times line level (- 10 dBV) audio input is accepted is when doing an audio dub or recording in VCR mode using the A/V input. This is more or less addressed in the GL2 manual that you can download on line from the Canondv web site if youhaven't already.

But the apparent mic-level limitation is not a significant problem, it can be addressed quite nicely with some simple adapters.

Robert Morgan September 11th, 2003 04:14 PM

line level

I think the ma-300 has a auto sensing circuit for line level inputs.

Robert Morgan September 11th, 2003 04:22 PM

I had the same problem!
The answer is that you dont have the ma300 pushed in all the way (it will click). also the display on the camera will have a letter "C" for connection. the video does not go thru the hot shoe connection, it comes thru the other cable off the back. That is why the video worked but the ext mike was not.

Don Palomaki September 12th, 2003 04:28 AM

Do not expect the MA300 to have any auto sensing in it, and expect it to not like line level signals, it is a mic adapter.

Beleive taht the GL2 allows selection of MIC or MIC ATT settings. Use MIC ATT with hot mics and in loud venues. It will provide the better noise floor when recording.

John Dimasi November 20th, 2003 07:27 PM

MA300 mic holder

What do I use to make the mic I just bought fit snug in the MA300 mic holder?

Graham Bernard November 21st, 2003 02:00 AM

John, I'm supposing you've got a smaller diam than the Canon mics . . that's why you are asking - yeah?

Up to now I've used a strip of car innner tube rubber . . it's flexible, it's free .. so you can loose it without any financial fears. . go to any garage and ask for an old one! ; it's a bit non-isolating for cammie noise . .. but it's firm and keeps my Senni66 from going walk-about - yeah? Just cut out a strip for your requirements.

There isn't much space between the the clamp and the mic itself to insert a more damperning type liner. If there is, I'm interested!

Grazie

Scott Silverman November 21st, 2003 02:21 AM

I use a long strip of black felt rolled several times around my mic (ME66).

Graham Bernard November 21st, 2003 02:25 AM

Ah! Now that SOUNDS good! Good dampening suspect?

Grazie

John Dimasi November 23rd, 2003 07:28 AM

Thanks to all, I 'll have to give it a try.

Michael Botkin December 3rd, 2003 02:12 PM

XLR "Y" Cable and GL2 MA300

I've got a GL2 w/ the Sennheiser ME66/K6 shotgun, and I was wondering if anyone had tried using a XLR Y cable from the Mic to both L and R inputs. Could you use your manual sound, and set the R to a higher gain and the L for lower in case of a sudden loud noise that may clip on tape? Just wondering as I'm shooting a documentary on Explosive Demolition beginning next week down in New Oreleans. Just trying to get the best sound of course, but I'll have 3 other MiniDV cams and 2 DATS as well.