GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old September 7th, 2002, 05:39 AM   #1
Andy Smith

GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries

Jason, you mentioned the Interstate batteries for the GL2 in a recent post, but I've not been able to find them. Any good sites you could reccomend?

Do you know of a cheaper alternative than Cannons to charge two batteries at once?

Does the Cannon DC car adapter allow you to use a NRG battery pack?

THanks,

Andy Smith
Old September 7th, 2002, 11:20 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Chargers etc.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2909&pagenumber=2

Andy here is a start on the charger question-- above.

For the interstate battery try a search for "Protected Power Company" could be protectedpower.com ?

Regards, John V.

Edit; here is the battery link http://www.yourbatteryterminal.com/xl1gl1extended.html
John VVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2002, 11:56 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Just a side note on the battery topic.

The BP945-equivalent battery shown in Andy's link is rated at 4350mAh (milliampere hours, the general capacity rating for batteries). This will certainly run your GL1, GL2, XL1, or XL1s for a good long time. But, contrary to the site's assertion, this is by no means the "highest power rating". In fact, it's not even up to Canon's own BP-945 specification (4500mAh).

The Power-2000 BP-945 batteries sold at B&H Photo (and elsewhere) are rated at 6000mAh. I have several and can attest to their remarkable lasting power.

Yes, they are just a bit more expensive ($89.95) than the the others ($69.95). But if you're really interested in a go-all-day high-capacity battery this is your benchmark.

Others have reported that Lenmar makes a similarly high-cap 945 equivalent, too, but I've not tried one myself.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2002, 07:45 PM   #4
Gilbert Lew

Ken, are you saying that the Power-2000 BP-945 6000mAh batteries are better that the original Canon BP-945 batteries?

The price for the Power 2000 is cheaper at $89.95 compare to $119.95.

The milliampere are higher.

So what is the catch? The weight? The durability? How many charges can this battery go through?
Old September 11th, 2002, 09:04 PM   #5
Warden

The catch is your not paying for Canon's advertising (or do tennis stars do endorsements for free). It also is slightly heavier than the Canon. I use two of the Lenmar batteries Ken refers to and I'm very happy with their performence.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2002, 09:18 PM   #6

Gilbert,
Basically there is no catch. As Jeff noted, Canon's mark-up of a 3rd party's batteries (Canon doesn't manufacture batteries) represents the price difference. Canon has a worldwide marketing presence, the manufacturer of the Canon-branded batteries doesn't. It's that simple. The Power 2000 batteries are, indeed, better than the original 945's.

I don't know the rated cycles but I've no reason whatsoever to believe that they're any shorter-lived than Canons. Mine have certainly not shown any degradation so far.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old September 12th, 2002, 02:18 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Who knows where in Europe I can buy this Power-2000 or Lenmar batteries?

Thanks,

Dirk

PS: The canon battery costs $179. What a rip off!
Dirk Goris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2002, 05:47 AM   #8
Andy Smith

GL2 DC Power Answers

Thanks guys for all the helpful input on the 3rd party batteries.

Nobody seemed to know the answer to the "Car Battery Adapter" question. (Would it work on a NRG 12V belt?) After asking this question to a lot of people, I finally called Cannon. WOULD YOU BELIEVE NOBODY THERE, INCLUDING THE TECHS, COULD ANSWER THIS QUESTION???? Their bottom line was that it had not been tested and possibly could damage the camera, in which case they wouldn't be responsible. I started to ask him if he knew for a fact it had been tested with a Sabb, but figured it would sail right over his head.

I finally got a salesman at B&H that had sense enough to come in out of the rain. He said that 12 volts negetave ground battery belts were made to be compatable with automotive 12V system devices. Of course, you have to have the DC adapter for your device. He said that indeed they had used it that way on a GL2. Said that a to a videographer, a portable belt made a lot more sense than a car for power. DUH!!!

Moral to the story is buy from folks that can answer your questions.

Andy
Old October 30th, 2002, 02:56 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Good x-brand GL1/2 battery?

Hi. Does anyone have any good experiences with any particular off-brand (non-Canon) cheap-price extended-life batteries for the GL1/2 that they can happily recommend?

Thanks a lot,

Blake
Blake Haber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 04:10 PM   #10
Trustee

The lenmar LIC941 is as good or better than the equivalent Canon battery. I leave mine on my gl2 for days at a time and it never seems to go down. Some have said it lasts for about 4 hours...haven't really tried to test it, but I can believe it. Saw one for 60 bucks on streetprices.com

http://www.StreetPrices.com/Electronics/SP619298.html?query=lenmar%20941

Typically I think you'll find it between $80-$100. I don't know if the sponsors carry it...check them out first.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 04:21 PM   #11

You'll want to see this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=power+2000

Old November 8th, 2002, 10:57 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot, Barry and Ken.

I went with the Power 2000 from B&H, for about $80US. So far it seems to be a good and long-lasting unit. I don't know how long because I've already shot more than an hour on it and the battery guage hasn't moved off of "max" yet.

b
Blake Haber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2002, 11:10 AM   #13

On the GL2 you may not have to charge the Power 2000 battery until your warranty expires!

Glad to hear you tried it out and are happy so far, Blake!

Old November 11th, 2002, 08:45 PM   #14
Trustee

I'll add a thumbs up for the Power-2000 also as I received one last week. Good, long lasting battery at a really good price.
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2002, 06:45 PM   #15
Major Player

Power 2000 versus Canon

Ok, I understand the Power 2000 batteries last longer than the Canon ones. I also remember reading that they were somewhat wider. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how much wider?

For that matter, are they also heavier?

Stepehn
Stephen Sobel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders