GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 7th, 2004, 03:30 PM   #106
Old Boot

I remove battery and tape. Call me old fashioned, but a tape in a device and a battery still connected . . . just don't add up as being a safe situation.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 03:48 PM   #107
Contributor

Leaving the battery, WA adapter and things like that attached can be problematic because vibration and sudden movements that would normally not harm the camera can cause some damage. The battery attachment assembly on a camera I used to have was losing contact becasue of this, I had to repair it.

Then again, I keep the WA and batt attached to my PDX10 most of the time. But when I know I will be on the road and walking a lot or travelling I tend to remove the battery and adapter.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:50 PM   #108
Regular Crew

GL2/GL1 Batteries - Found at Wal-Mart Clerance!

This was the best section of the forum I figured to post this in since its where the people that use these batteries will look :)

Anyways I saw that Wal-Mart has a 2-Hr Off Brand Canon battery availiable for $15, its made by Polaroid but I've found no difference in quality or performance versus the standard battery, and I have 3 of them!!

Anyways just thought I'd let you know in case anybody wanted to run out and see if their Wal-Mart had any left!! The original price on them was $30.
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #109
New Boot

Thanks, I might get a couple. Steve
Steve Luhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 10:02 AM   #110
New Boot

Hi can you give more specific info on the battery? How is that work with Canon charger? Anyway good find.
Honglin Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 04:39 PM   #111
Regular Crew

I found BP-915 clones at my local Walmart

But they were regular price. They did have some other batteries on sale, but only $5 off. You lucked out!
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #112
Regular Crew

They were Polaroid BP-915 2 hr clones. They had a rack of polaroid batteries cleranced...guess I did luck out!! I have it working fine with my universal charger and I've tried it on my school's Canon chargers, works fine.
Tim Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #113
New Boot

Hello everyone,

I was lucky and found 6 of them for $12.00 each at a PA Wal-Mart when I was on a business trip the first week in March.

They all charged just fine with my Canon GL1 Charger. When I returned from my trip; I put them on my Battery Analyzer and they all exceeded the Specs of the Canon BP-915 Battery.

They come with a full replacement warranty (info in package you can read before you buy through SAFT America) and Wal-Mart will refund your money as long as you have receipt and original packaging.

They are great "just in case" Batteries for those of us who have larger batteries. I am looking for more.
Brian Kirkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM   #114
Tourist

gl2 battery 7.4v?

I have a quick question I hope someone can help me. I just bought my gl2 and I bought an extra off brand battery (bp945). When I received it in the mail today the voltage was 7.4 and not 7.2v. Does anyone know if this will damage the gl2? I tried calling canon and all they could tell me is that if it is not a canon product, they can not tell me anything.
Stacey Trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 09:35 AM   #115
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

7.4v will be fine, Stacey. 7.2v is the nominal voltage required by the GL2 but, in fact, the actual voltage batteries deliver will vary as they discharge. The 7.4v rating is normal for these batteries.

Have fun!

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2004, 11:00 AM   #116
Tourist

thank you Ken
Stacey Trim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2004, 07:17 PM   #117
Regular Crew

Stacey, I had the same concern/question.....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21399

A lot of friendly fellow GL2'ers around here!

:)
Dennis Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 02:23 PM   #118
Major Player

Exploding batteries?

I was recently looking through Canon's GL2 site and there was a note warning about the use of non-Canon batteries in Canon chargers. The site stated that some batteries had leaked/exploded because they lacked a charge-regulating device. There was no other information as to which companies batteries had failed except to recommend that you only use Canon batteries.

Any ideas as to which after-market batteries are causing problems?
Jeff Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 04:10 PM   #119
Outer Circle

Perhaps contact Canon and ask. I never heard about this sort of thing.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2004, 04:16 PM   #120
Wrangler

I've not read of any issues with camcorder batteries to date in many years of lurking bulletin boards, and web forums. The main issue mentione dis shorting the battery terminals, which can cause high curents and start fires.

My guesss would be early production Li ion battries, those produced before the technology reached its curent level of stability, and perhaps some cheap no-name generics.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders