GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries - Page 16 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old July 11th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #226
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

No, you can recharge them from a partial discharge with no problems. Like all similar batteries, however, it is good to completely discharge them every so often to rejuvenate them.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2005, 10:03 AM   #227
Fred Retread

No, the Lithium ion battery is great in that respect. No memory. They actually do better with charging before they're fully discharged.

However, for the camera to accurately report remaining charge, the battery should be deliberately discharged to the point of camera shut-down about once every thirty charge cycles.

Usable battery capacity will decrease with age, though, even if not used much, and will need replacing every couple of years. The best storage conditions to extend life is about 40% charge under cool conditions. The worst is full charge under warm conditions. So charging them up after use with the notion that you want the camera to be "ready" when you put it away is a bad idea.

Here's a nice reference that the above info came from:
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:01 AM   #228
New Boot

Power 2000 battery question

Hi everyone. I'm new here as I just got a gl2 a few days ago and I love it. It is a HUGE step up from my old jvc hunk of crap of a camera.

When I bought my camera I just ordered the camera, 3 tapes and the canon hard case(I dont really like the harness system but oh well it works). So now I've decided I need a few more things like a tripod, rewinder, uv filter, and another battery. So my question is:

If I order the Power 2000 battery do I need to also order their charger or will it charge in my canon charger?

Thanks,
Patrick
Patrick Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #229
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The Power 2000 battery will recharge just fine in the Canon charger, Patrick.

Have fun.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #230
Fred Retread

Patrick, if the Canon case is returnable, I'd highly recommend doing so. They are WAY overpriced. Even if money isn't a consideration for you, you apparently don't care for the case. You can get a hardshell Vanguard or equivalent case for about $40 that has a customizable foam interior that will hold everything that came in the GL2 box plus some extras very securely without harnesses. They are also very handsome in appearance.
Old July 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #231
New Boot

Thanks Ken that is good to know.

And Fred, I did consider that but it would be a bit of a pain and it would leave me with no case for at least a week. Plus I've been toying with the idea of just adding a couple pieces of foam to the inside to pad the camera a little more. I think I'll give that a try and if it works then I'll just keep the case.
Patrick Rivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #232
New Boot

Canon GL2 9 hour battery

Hey, if anyone you have a 9 hour battery which is the largest you can get, and the second largest battery too. can you post a picture of it. I wanted to see what it looks like. And does it throw off the balance of the camera.?
Im thinking of buying one off www.canonbattery.com for cheap.
Austin Puskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #233
Regular Crew

The biggest battery won't affect you or the camera at all, unless you are endowed with a extra large nose, in which case you may have problems getting your eye right up to the viewfinder!!
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #234
New Boot

i just wanna see how far the biggest battery sticks out.lol
Austin Puskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2005, 05:22 AM   #235
Inner Circle

Hi Austin,

To my knowledge, the 'biggest' battery is the BP945 and clones.

I have a clone (Power2000 I think - had it a while and there are no brand markings on it) but I think they're rated for about 5 hours use, not 9.

I can't post a picture but to give you an idea, the battery is flush with the rear edge of the viewfinder assembly (not the eyecup) when extended.

It doesn't get in the way at all (but then again I have a cute little button nose) and doesn't affect balance. In fact, I think it helps. I tend to keep the w/a lens on most of the time and without the big battery the camera is a bit front heavy.

Hope that helps.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:01 AM   #236
Inner Circle

5 hour battery

Ian is correct , the longest the 945 or 941 clone run is about 5 to 6 hours. I does in fact balance the camera better. I personally do find the battery a bit of an encumeberance filming wild life on the move while using a shoulder steady rig, not so much when free hand.

Dale guthormsen
Dale Guthormsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:25 AM   #237
New Boot

I have a clone of BP 945 which is 7.4V instead of 7.2V. I bought this from eBay very cheap.
It says 5500 mAh. The battery is Chineese made and I am not sure whether I am safe to use this with my camera!
I do not know how long it is going to last as I haven't done any continous shooting using this battery.
I am not experienced and kindly give me your expert suggestions.
Thanks

James.
James Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #238
Regular Crew

Cheap battery will damage your Camera ??

I saw here and there lot of diffrence prices about the battery for my xm2
And thought can I give a shot try one of these cheap batteries
But will not take any risk to damage something in my brand new camera which I love so much.

Is there a risk to damage mine camera or is the risk only count for the battery ??

I red some theards and it would me fine if somebody can give a link to a good alternative where I can order these batteries
I know I asking to much now but also conncted buy the information I live in the Netherlands

Thank you anyway

Last edited by Cengiz Ozgok; February 24th, 2006 at 12:04 PM.
Cengiz Ozgok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #239
Major Player

Have you tried Amazon? http://www.amazon.co.uk

They have many replacements for Canon batteries, you can get the BP-945 compatiable battery for under US$40

EDIT: the US Amazon site has many more Canon replacement batteries
Nick Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #240
Regular Crew

"Cheap" of just low cost?

I purchased two aftermarket batteries and have had great success with them. So far I've only used the two batteries in the camera and reserved the battery that came with the camera for use in my VL 10i video light. Below is the battery and price that I paid.

Delkin eFilm DD BP-930 camcorder battery - Li-Ion $40.95

I don’t see any issues using aftermarket "Cheap" batteries as long as they come from a reputable dealer.
David L. Holmes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders