GL2 & XM2 Battery / Batteries - Page 10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 7th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #136
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Here's the AB page on the Stasis brace. This has a Gold Mount plate already installed. I -believe- they make a Stasis for the GL2 but I could be wrong.

But I do know that Anton Bauer makes a complete power kit for the XL1, which uses the same 7.2v as the GL2. To use this kit you would probably select a 3rd-party brace, such as the DVRigPro or a Dolgin that enables you to mount the adapter plate for yourself.

See my recent article on the Firestore FS-3 for a better view of how the AB adapter works, at least on an XL1S. It would work the same on a GL2, with the exception that you need a different way to mount the adapter plate.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #137
Old Boot

" I -believe- they make a Stasis for the GL2 " Went to see a UK suplier yeaterday . . don't seem they do . . hey ho . .
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #138
Regular Crew

at biz-max they sell the Canon BP-945 Battery Pack for 130 bucks. is it reasonable?
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #139
Regular Crew

is this a good deal? how long does this battery last(i don't get why they never indicate that info):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=198705&is=REG
Old May 7th, 2004, 08:25 PM   #140
Tourist

I just bought a GL2 two weeks ago. I also have used the Sony NP-960 battery on a Hi-8 camcorder and was a little miffed when I saw the specs o nthe Canon batteries.

The capacity of the Canon BP-941 is 4500 mAhr and the Lenmar LIC941 is 5500 mAhr. Based upon the specs the Lenmar battery has a 22% more capacity than the Canon battery. There may be some conservatism in the capacity. It depends who did the testing and how good the QC is at the factory.

I bought a non-branded battery with a 4000 mAhr capacity and have used it twice to film softball games. My estimate of the battery life is about 4 hours. I shoot 1 hour of footage in 2 hours at a game. I have not run into a problem yet.

I will probably buy a Lenmar battery in the near future. It is less expensive than the Canon BP-941 and has greater capacity.
Saul Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #141
Regular Crew

when buying a lenmar battery, do you have to buy an extra charger or the canon xm-2's is compatible?

peace
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:58 PM   #142
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The Canon charger's fine.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #143
RED Code Chef

I'm running the Lenmar LIC941/5500 mAh on my XL1S without
any problems. Works fine with the Canon charger as well.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:57 PM   #144
Regular Crew

2+2 = no problem

2 hour tape = 2 hour battery.
I just change to a new charged battery when I change to a new tape. no problem.
Old May 12th, 2004, 04:41 AM   #145
RED Code Chef

2 hour tape? I won't trust anything else then 60 minute tape
running in SP mode.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:09 AM   #146
Regular Crew

sorry...

I was meaning to say 1 hour mini DV tape, I must have been thinking baout VHS, a blast from the past indeed, sorry...
Old May 12th, 2004, 05:45 AM   #147
Major Player

Here is an option, I chose this one as it was quite cost effective. For about the cost of 2 series 945 canon batteries or 119 dollars (no tax), I purchased a battery belt from a net company that just happens to be a local brick and mortar shop here in Orlando.

http://www.batterybank.com/beltpack/page11.2.html is a 14ah belt pack that ships with a Canon GLx / XL1x adapter. With this pack you can run your camera for about 17 hours. If you get creative and can run a solder station, you can permenantly attach the battery fixture to the electrical system of the pack which free's up the cigarette lighter plug for a light.

With this configuration I can run my GL2 and my Frezzi for about 4 to 4.5 hours (more depending on the use of my light).

Miguel
Miguel Lombana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 07:50 PM   #148
Regular Crew

BP-945 Battery

If anyone is looking for the highest capacity battery for your GL2, i have just purchased a BP-945 off ebay for 25.00 it works great. Is a better deal then paying $125 for a canon.
Its just more expensive because they have their name on it. The battery is great, but a couple and save $$$ espically if your on the go alot and need alot of handy power!
Kevin Galliford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #149
Regular Crew

I have an eBay battery too - the large size. It works very well. I wouldn't pay triple digits for a Canon-branded pack, either. 4 to 5 hours of shooting is more than enough for me.
Evan Kubota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2004, 09:34 AM   #150
New Boot

Batteries for GL2

I need to buy some batteries, I'm not sure if I should by original Canon batteries. I'm leaning towards them because of the warning Canon has about not being responsible for the damage other brands may cause. Does everyone here use original Canon brand batteries, or do a lot of you use other brands? What other brands have you had good experiences with?

Any help would be appreciated,
Ian Hong
Ian Hong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders