Wide angle adapter HV20 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:09 AM   #31
New Boot

Diference betwen DVR5000 and HD5050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
Hi Rick

I get zero vignetting with the HD5050 .

If you remove the 37mm - 37mm plastic ring to stop vignetting the back of the lens very slightly touchs the auto lens cap doors - these are not under power (touch them with your finger to see they will not resist even the lightest feather touch) - I have had my camera set up like this for months - no marks on either the lens or the auto lens cap.
from your pictures I can't see a big difference betwen the DVR5000 and the HD5050. Can you please tell me your oppinion? At the shop (my country) there is a big price difference and I don't know if it's worth it. thanks
Johann Schlossberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:25 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Hi Lee,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson View Post
[...] I get zero vignetting with the HD5050 .

If you remove the 37mm - 37mm plastic ring to stop vignetting the back of the lens very slightly touchs the auto lens cap doors [...]
You are right - however I think the touch is more than just 'slight'. Please have a look at the comparision and the sample pictures I did a few days ago:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=94258

When the Raynox touches the automatic lens cover there is still more than one millimeter on the thread to go, so that it can't be tightly fixed without deforming the lens cover. I am also scared that the lens will suffer because of the repeated mountings. Due to the (to my feeling) bad quality of the Raynox, I mount it only when I definately need it.

If there would be another 0.55 converter available, even for double the price, but without vignetting when it is tightly fixed and a better image quality, I would instantly sell my Raynox and go for this one.

Regards, Oliver
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM   #33
Major Player

I don't get any vignetting with my HV10 and Raynox 5050 on the viewfinder or on a 16x9 TV.

For me, critical viewing and finished product viewing will be on an HDTV not a PC, so if it vignettes a little on a PC, I don't really care that much.

I bought my 5050 for $90. To me, it's worth the $30 more over the DVR5000.
Ron Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:55 PM   #34
Major Player

The HD5050 does not vignette if you remove the 37-37mm adaptor/extender ring.

The HD5050 does not touch the HV10s lens - screwed in all the way without the 37mm adaptor ring it just touches the built in automatic lens cap which is not under power, nor shows any resistance to the very light pressure the back of the lens exerts when it brushes against it.

This is not ideal, but not a big problem either.

If this still worries you do this - switch on the HV10 - auto lens cap retracts out of the way - pop on the HD5050 - film - remove lens - turn off HV10 - lens cap closes
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 10:10 PM   #35
Inner Circle

Just Received the WD-H43 Wide Angle Lens

Just got it today. It's really a solid built with high quality optics. It's heavy and the color is more like a charcoal metallic grey than the cheap plastic silver HV20 is.

The lens weighted almost 1 lbs makes the camera really heavy in the front. The lens also blocks the built-in light and the flash light. Object will show up like moon elipse when you try to use either one. :)

With this wide angle lens attached to the front, my HV20 doesn't look that amature anymore. I am thinking of adding the Canon DM50 microphone later.

Taky
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM   #36
New Boot

(More) HV-10 Wide Angle Adapter Questions

I've just acquired an HV-10 and am looking for wide angle converters (at least 0.65x) other than the Canon because it's not quite wide enough. I've looked through most/all the posts on this, but I have a few more questions:

1 - Any more information on the Century optics 0DS-HR65-37 zoom through converter - is it really as bad as shown in this post (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....5&postcount=10) or was there something wrong in the set-up/use? I noticed a filter installed on it and this could have made things go down hill in the corners.

2 - Am I better off getting a WA converter that's a bit larger that may have improved the corner performance (sharpness & CA), say like the Raynox HD-6600 Pro 43mm 0.66x or the Century DS-65CV-58 0.65x (58mm) and use a very thin 37mm to XX mm step-up ring? These would be bigger/heavier, but would the image quality be better in the end?

3 - How well do the non-zoom through designs work at the wide end, e.g. the century optics DS-55WA-37 0.55x or the Ryanox DCR-5000, 52mm 0.5x? Are they better in general than the zoom-through designs?

I don't necessarily need a zoom through, but it would be nice.

Thanks - John
John Hinkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:02 PM   #37
Major Player

Since I've gotten my HV20, I've had a lot of fun playing with it. Unfortunately, I was upgrading from a GL1 so none of my old accessories would work. So, I bought an adapter ring and all my 58mm filters work fine and I've tried my Canon WD-58H wide angle lens on there and it looks great! Being bigger than 43mm, there's no distortion, and I haven't seen a difference by it being an SD wide angle adapter, it looks great.

One advantage that I've found by having the WD-58H on the HV20 was that I could better hold the camera by cradling it than just the camera by itself, which is a little difficult for me since I have big hands. Also, when I add on my Beachtek DXA-6VU adapter along with the WD-58H, the camera weight is nice and balanced and I can handle it just like my old beloved GL1.

So, if you can't get the Canon 43mm wide angle lens designed for it, I'd recommend going with a bigger lens for sure! =)
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #38
New Boot

Jack -

Thanks for the feedback. I've now read some other posts that suggest going with a larger lense than needed for wide angle may help get around some of the barrel distortion and perhaps the corner softness issues. I don't know about the barrel distortion, but it kind of makes sense that having a larger element would improve the corner sharpness because you are using more of the center part of the glass, not the outer bits where most of the optical problems occur. I'm going t look into getting either a Raynox, Century, or Canon WA adapter that fits a larger camera.

- John
John Hinkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #39
Regular Crew

How are folks liking the HD-7000PRO, now that they've had for at least a few weeks with their HV20?

Also for those that bought through B&H, what are you using instead of the Raynox RA5843 (not listed) for the 43-58mm step-up?

Thanks!

Andrew.
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #40
Regular Crew

...or to rephrase the question, B&H has three 43-58mm step-up rings listed. A B+W, a Century Precision Optics and a Cokin.

Ignoring the prices, which would you recommend (against) for use with the HV20 and why?
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Canon WD-H46 Wide Angle for HV20?

Anyone using the Canon WD-H46 46mm 0.7x Wide Angle Converter Lens with their HV20? Is this lens "HD quality" glass?

I need a wide angle for my HV20 (for a shoot in less than two weeks) and I'm having a heckuva time finding a 43mm from Canon, Raynox, etc., so I'm considering this one using a step-up ring. Is this doable?

I've read some other post regarding using Sony, etc. but I've not seen anything mentioned on this.

Thanks,
Blake
Old November 1st, 2007, 07:29 AM   #42
Major Player

I have a HV10 with 37mm and a GL2 with 58mm thread.
Raynox 6600Pro is my choice for wide angle!
Can i buy a 58mm version, so i can use it on my GL2, and with an adaptor ring 37->58 for my HV10? Or this is a very BIG stepping?
If i can use, the 0,66 magnification will still remain with HV10 or increase about 0,8? :(

Another thing: because the wideangle has 72mm filter thread, and in this size a good Polar filter isnt cheap, and i already have a good 55mm Hoya Polar filter, can i make this setup?
HV10 37mm->step up to 55mm, Hoya Polar filter -> 55mm version of the 6600Pro wideangle?
Will this setup vignetting or can i make excellent result? I film in nature, where wide angle is important, deep blue sky is also great, and HD resolution of course :)

thank you,
Marton

Last edited by Prech Marton; November 2nd, 2007 at 02:21 AM. Reason: more question
Prech Marton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM   #43
Regular Crew

Raynox 6600Pro WA on Canon HV10

Marton,

Yes, I own a Canon HV10 and a Raynox 6600Pro WA lens. I use a 37-49mm upsizing ring to make the connection. So, my WA lens is 49mm. The reason I bought the 49mm WA was to enable use with my Panasonic GS250, as well as with the Canon HV10, the former being 49mm and does not require the step-up ring adapter.

Sorry, I cannot answer your question about the 55mm Raynox, and or 55mm filters/polarizer, as I do not own these items.

I have not noticed any vignetting, barrel distortion, or chromatic aberration with the 49mm WA lens on my HV10. It's been awhile since I used this WA lens on my Panasonic GS250 but, I vaguely recall there may have been a very slight amount of vignetting when used on this camcorder. Then again, I'm relying upon distant recollection, so the vignetting I'm thinking about could well have involved other lenses I've used with the Panasonic.

I remain 100% happy with the Raynox 6600Pro WA lens! I can't imagine a WA lens that produces a better match with the Canon HV10, and better image quality. The size and weight of this WA lens in relation to it's connection to the small HV10 is not a problem where I am concerned.

I attach two photos (sorry for low-light image quality) which depict the 6600Pro WA mounted on my Canon HV10 and monopod.

See attached ...

VM
Attached Thumbnails
Wide angle adapter HV20-raynox-6600-pro-canon-hv10.jpg   Wide angle adapter HV20-raynox-6600-pro-canon-hv10-alt.jpg  

Hawood Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #44
Major Player

thanks for photos!
Old November 10th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #45
Major Player

Is this 6600 a high quality, multi coated lens?
Did you see more lensflares when you see the sun or a spotlight,
and when you dont use the lens?

thx,
Marton

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders