Canon HV20 Press Release, Overview and more - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 31st, 2007, 07:02 PM   #46
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
I'm sorry but I can't get over this release date: "Available in March 2008"
The U.S. release date for the Canon HV20 is in early April of this year... 2007. Trust me.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:05 PM   #47
Inner Circle

^Thanks for clearing that up.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:07 PM   #48
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
The U.S. release date for the Canon HV20 is in early April of this year... 2007. Trust me.

Just in time for those Tax Refunds (for those who file early that is)!!!
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:36 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Of significant interest to Canon XL H1 owners, the HV20 (along with the earlier HV10) when used as a VCR will play back tapes recorded in Canon's 24F and 30F Frame modes from the XL H1 and the forthcoming XH G1 and A1.
Wow - does this mean you've been sitting on this release since before the A-1 came out?
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:24 PM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

Nope... I just borrowed that text from my earlier HV10 overview page is all. "Forthcoming..." Heh.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM   #51
Regular Crew

RedRock Micro

Hey, any one know if you could hook the HV 20 up to the red rock micro? That would be an awesome and cheap alternative. For say about $3000.00, cheaper than even buying just the A1, you could have a great lens option on a nifty 24p HDV cam.

Will this combo work?
Geoff Murrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:22 PM   #52
Trustee

just had some time to read through the press&previews. in short, this is incredibly awesome!!! 1080p24 under $1,000

i mean talk about innovation/technological advances! we definitely live in interesting times. 1920x1080p24 at an affordable price!!! people can gobble it up and shoot multi-cams easily heh heh heh >).

think of the impact it'll have on MANY, MANY industries fiction and nonfiction video shooting requirements!!! this is awesome! hurray!!!!

next step: HD DVD/BluRay universal burners @20USD =).
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM   #53
Major Player

Plus it isn't 1080 just for the sake of 1080, it's good 1080 + 24p, if the HV10 is any indication. Can't wait.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 09:13 PM   #54
Trustee

Why is it that no one is complaining that this camcorder doesn’t have a focusing ring around the lens? Unless you’re transferring your footage to film, that feature is infinite times more important than 24p for small independent productions. Even the Optura have a focusing ring around the lens. Both Sony and Canon should stop replacing it with a tiny focusing dial that is very awkward to use.

I have never talked good about a JVC camcorder before but the only camcorder with excellent manual controls this year is the GZ-HD7. Besides, a replacement for the GL2 is way overdue.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM   #55
Regular Crew

You just did. :-) Yeah, a focus ring would be great. LANC would be great, too. Otherwise, I really like the features of this camera. But I think I can live without those two. This is a fantastic camera for guerrilla shooting - hand-held run and gun.
I'm in preproduction on an indie horror short, and this camera will be great for that. I've been wondering how I could afford an A1 by June... I think I can afford this. Whoo Boy. I may finally have a replacement for my Optura Pi.

(My workhorse is still a GL2... someday to be replaced by an A1 or A2...)
Old February 2nd, 2007, 07:56 AM   #56
Trustee

i think the targetted market is consumer point+shoot and not prosumers/amateur filmmakers.
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM   #57
Major Player

Right, this is a very consumer oriented camera that just happens to do 24p for some reason, only Canon knows. I think the reason no one is complaining about a focus ring is that Canon seems to have put so much in already at such a low price.

Plus the multi-function dial that you would use for manual focus is very close to the position of a focus ring, it's not in an awkward position. So it remains to be seen, it could be an okay way to focus.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 09:36 AM   #58
Regular Crew

I'd say this is a 'transition' camera: part consumer and part prosumer. I bet some people will make very good 'films' with this camera.

FYI: Check out David Lynch's recent interviews regarding his use of run-gun HW. Just goes to show that all pros don't need/want big-complicated cameras. This HV20 would fall into a nice niche category for run-gun applications.

Regards
JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:00 AM   #59
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher
Right, this is a very consumer oriented camera that just happens to do 24p for some reason, only Canon knows.
You could be right, but I'll bet that many, if not most, will be sold to Canon owners with other HD cameras to use as decks and b-roll cameras. Mine will be used for that. Another plus, an HD camera to keep with you in the car at all times for that one time shot. Mine will be in my car and no, I will not give you my address! :)

Mike
Old February 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM   #60
Major Player

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't think you'll ever see a LANC jack on any consumer Canon camcorder anymore (pretty sure they just got tired of paying that licensing fee to Sony). Canon seem to have relegated LANC to the realm of three-chip "professional" camcorders only.
The lack of a LANC jack is what will keep this camera from ever being fit inside a serious pro housing. Two of the top three housing companies, Light & Motion and Amphibico, utilize the SONY LANC for their electronic controls on their u/w housings - looks like this camera will be relegated to plex housings and I doubt Gates will consider this camera as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders