What brand tape are you using? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 21st, 2007, 02:32 PM   #16
New Boot

"HD tapes" are marketing gimmick. Just get good quality tapes and you're set. I always use Panasonic AMQ and they are fine, so far.

I've never used Canon tapes for 2 reasons:

1. they don't manufacture tapes
2. they cost an arm and a leg
David Susilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:44 PM   #17
New Boot

Panasonic PQs here, I've used them exclusively now for several years in a variety of DV cameras and now in my HV20...no dropout issues or any other concerns.
Mark Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Where online is a good place to buy tape for reasonable prices, any suggestions? Or is that out of bounds for the forum??
Norm Goodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Have been using Sony PR60's since I bought my first mini-dv camera. Work just fine in the Canon HV20 for me.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:07 PM   #20
Major Player

The Canon tape that ships with the Canon XHA1 seems to be a Sony. Same case, results, etc.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:32 AM   #21
Regular Crew

What about tapes found at local electronics stores, I see Fuji DVCM603PK, or Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ3, JVC MDV60DU3, in 3 packs for about $20.

Then there are the Panasonic AY-DVM80EJ2, Panasonic AYDVM80XJ2, and JVC MDV63HD2HT in two packs for for about $22-25.. Any issues with these tapes?

I don't see many of the other tape's mentioned here in local stores, only online.. Which is Ok, if you buy a number of tapes up front, but sometimes not convenient if something crops up and you used your last tape..
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:40 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wolla View Post
The Canon tape that ships with the Canon XHA1 seems to be a Sony. Same case, results, etc.
I always thought Panasonic made Canon tapes, but that was years ago. Is there a signature or serial on tapes that indicate which OEM made it?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 07:05 AM   #23
Major Player

I just use whatever's cheapest. Normally a pack of 5.. Most of those I've used over the past year are Fuji. No problems at all, even with the 80 minute tapes.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:18 AM   #24
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
"HD tapes" are marketing gimmick. Just get good quality tapes and you're set. I always use Panasonic AMQ and they are fine, so far.

I've never used Canon tapes for 2 reasons:

1. they don't manufacture tapes
2. they cost an arm and a leg
I've been soaking up all the great info here and decided that I don't need a HDV specific tape for my HV20. I've had it for a week now and am itching to use it, so I made the choice to try the Panasonic AMQ tape.
But looking on one sellers web site - it states that the AMQ runs for 63min in Mini DV, and only 42min for DVCAM/HDV. Is this true?

Have you noticed this run time difference David? If true, it's actually more expensive to shoot in HDV then say the Sony DVM63HD, in terms of cost per minute.
It's the last thing holding me back from finally choosing my poison :p
Steve Chikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:23 AM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Chikesh View Post
I've been soaking up all the great info here and decided that I don't need a HDV specific tape for my HV20. I've had it for a week now and am itching to use it, so I made the choice to try the Panasonic AMQ tape.
But looking on one sellers web site - it states that the AMQ runs for 63min in Mini DV, and only 42min for DVCAM/HDV. Is this true?

Have you noticed this run time difference David? If true, it's actually more expensive to shoot in HDV then say the Sony DVM63HD, in terms of cost per minute.
It's the last thing holding me back from finally choosing my poison :p
that's true AND untrue at the same time.

miniDV and HDV runs at the same rate (63 min tape, 63 min recording time)
DV CAM, on the other hand, runs at the faster rate (63 min tape, 42 recording time).
David Susilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 11:47 AM   #26
New Boot

I use Panny PQs. They are cheap, work well, and have great reviews.
Victor Horz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:03 PM   #27
Major Player

Panasonic PQs on everything (multiplie SD & HD cams), ever since they first came out. No dropout issues ever (so far), but no re-using tapes either. Tape cleaner through a camera when it enters my workflow.
Chris Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Guess, I am still sort of curious whether the slightly cheaper Panasonic AY-DVM60EJ tapes would be OK, or whether the PQ, though I cannot seem to spot them on store shelves are worth ordering from someplace with reasonable pricing..??
Old May 22nd, 2007, 12:18 PM   #29
Major Player

Used the cheaper 60s before PQs came out. They're okay. No dropout issues with SD, used one time only, though. Didn't use these with HDV at all, though, sorry i can't be of more help. Now buy my PQs through Amazon.com for pretty good prices.

Cheap for its own sake begets cheap, don't forget.
Coming from film where the stock alone starts $10 per minute average (no processing or telecine, just the stock), I find it easy to pay $7 to $15 per hour, total.
What we're after here is cost effectiveness.
More than that is putting your money straight into someone else's profit margin.
Quality first, but after that, value for money, right?
Chris Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM   #30
New Boot

I get mine at supermediastore.com.

They sell it $17 for 5 tapes which works out to $3.40 per tape.

http://supermediastore.com/panasonic...-tape-5pk.html
Victor Horz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders