What brand tape are you using? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:11 PM   #1
Inner Circle

What brand tape are you using?

Hi all, what brand HDV tapes is everyone using in their HV20s? The Canon HDVM-E63PR are $A23 here and the JVC equivalent are $A9.50ea. I'm going to try Panasonic AY-DVM83MQ, anyone using those?

Also the manual says not to use a 'wet' lube type cleaning tape, would you think that means, no 'wet' tapes at all? Thx.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I just ordered a box of Sony HDV tapes from this seller, cost incl shipping was about AUD$12.20 a tape. I might add, although my existing Sony DVM60 work fine so in v. brief tests, I might use the HV20 as second-unit for 16:9 SD event video - I need the reliability so opted for genuine Sony HDV media. (I'll shoot HDV & down-convert on computer)

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Alpha-Pro-Camera

On an unrelated note, my Ebay battery & charger arrived from HK. Battery claims "made in Japan", but take that with a grain of salt (maybe cells only). I am curious whether the charger is properly rated. The output on the charger is 8.4V, 4.2W -from this I calculated it will supply 500mA of current to the 1500 mAh Lithium-ion battery.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Allan,

I am using TDK MiniDV tapes with Canon HV20 (Same tapes as the ones I used with my old DV camcorder). I don't think there's any difference between these and the so called 'HDV enhanced' tapes, as some tapes are advertised. Since both types of tapes record data in digital format, the question 'Does a HDV tape record better quality video than DV tape?' is meaningless. However, HDV tapes are supposed to reduce the likelihood of drop-outs. But, dropouts don't happen that often any way.

There's a great deal of info about DV vs HDV tapes at this link:

http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=1744

- anil.
Anil Dasari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:06 AM   #4
Regular Crew

As I learn at work, there is the same chance of failing with a regular tape, than with a "High-End Super PRO" expensive one. The only REAl difference I can see, is the number of times you can rewrite on the same tape until it starts droping here and there.
Javier Gallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:39 AM   #5
New Boot

I use normal sony dvm60prl tapes in my hv10. Not had any issues so far. I dont rerecord over any of them however.
Richard Mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #6
Contributor

i've been using the panasonic PQ's i think i've had maybe 1 or 2 drop outs in 20 some odd tapes, and i think that's more an issue of cleaning the cam since i've been using it as a logging deck mostly.
Old May 18th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #7
New Boot

I was talking with a really nice and knowledgable rep in one of the stores, and he was saying that the cheaper tapes are made "cheaper" and leave more shedding in the camera... making so they need to be cleaned more often and can fail easier.
he claimed to have had this issue with a few customers

I ignored him at first, and tried using tdk tapes in my hv20, and within the first 4 tapes, I got a message to clean the heaads. I'm not risking it... I'm sticking to sony HDV tapes from now on...

also, make sure that the tapes you get are the same type of lubricant (wet or dry) supposedly you can stick with either type so long as you don't switch back and forth which can cause the heads to get mucked up...

good luck!
-Josh
Josh Reiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #8
New Boot

Panasonic AMQ for me.
David Susilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Reiss View Post
I was talking with a really nice and knowledgable rep in one of the stores, and he was saying that the cheaper tapes are made "cheaper" and leave more shedding in the camera... making so they need to be cleaned more often and can fail easier.
he claimed to have had this issue with a few customers

I ignored him at first, and tried using tdk tapes in my hv20, and within the first 4 tapes, I got a message to clean the heaads. I'm not risking it... I'm sticking to sony HDV tapes from now on...

also, make sure that the tapes you get are the same type of lubricant (wet or dry) supposedly you can stick with either type so long as you don't switch back and forth which can cause the heads to get mucked up...

good luck!
-Josh
Given what you just said above, you're note going to switch that TDK-used HV20 to wet Sonys, are you?? that's exactly the dry->wet switch you want to avoid!

I've been using regular TDK DVM60 tapes on both my Optura Pi and my HV20 and never had any dropouts or problems; I had some on my Optura when I switched brands on a trip, plus was exposed to lots of humidity/temp changes, that's it.
I have around 50hrs on the HV10; I record each tape twice (blackstripe, then record, and have played back each once or twice), and no problems so far.)

I think best to just stick w/ what you're used to, if you can afford HDV pro tapes, then go for it; I can't for so many kids/home videos :) they don't pay the way!
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gould View Post
Given what you just said above, you're note going to switch that TDK-used HV20 to wet Sonys, are you?? that's exactly the dry->wet switch you want to avoid!......
Are you sure that Sony still uses wet lubricant? I had the idea that they moved to dry type few years back.

Anyway I am using TDK too!
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #11
Trustee

Here is the most important note about tapes

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....4&postcount=81

Pick any. Stick with it.

Me, I am using Fuji DVC tapes.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 10:04 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Started with the older Panasonic MQ and now using the AMQ.
Ian Albinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I use Sony Premium. Cheap tapes, available all over the place here in northern Europe. Data rate is same between DV and HDV, and I not had dropouts with the old DV, so I decided to continue with these in the HV20.
Povl H. Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #14
Major Player

I am switching to the Sony Digital Master tapes because I have had problems with both the PRL and EXL series. Iknow that each tape out there is not perfect and all will occasionally have issues. I did see a diff in the performance between the lower line sony tapes and the Digital Master series. I saw some drop outs and blocking when using Sony Excellence, which is supposeely a step up from Premium. Did not see the same thing using Digital Master.
In any case I will use the Sony DM for paid work, when I cannot take a chance. The fact that it is made to slightly higer standards should produce an advantage in reliability.
I shoot about 100+ tapes a year, do not re-record over them and generally don't have any real problems when shooting DV. In HDV, I am seeing a difference.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I see mentions of Sony, Fuji, Maxell, TDK, what about Canon's tapes? Are they just more expensive and not really any better than some of the other HD tapes?

Are HD tapes preferred for the HV20 over the non HD miniDV tapes, does it really make a significant difference, other than cost for the non-pro user that wants quality video of family events, vacations, etc..
Norm Goodger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders