Intensity now supports HV20 - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 24th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #61
Trustee

The card works in any software by the fact that it creates normal AVI files or quicktime files to use in pretty much any program. Perhaps not all programs will work with the card directly but you can capture via the free capture program and then import into any program as long as they can read normal AVI and quicktime files. If you use a program that does support output from the card then you can render a new file of your timeline then use the free capture program to output to your HDTV.

Premiere of course has better interaction when used with the card but it isn't needed to use the card.

For example a visual effects artist may not use a NLE at all with the card. They could just capture clean uncompressed clips to a AVI file and then use those files in After Effects or Combustion to work with. After Effects and Combustion both actually use the card for input and output so you can do your FX work in Combustion and see what you are doing on your HDTV.

Even if you never capture material and are just a graphic designer, Intensity will work with Photoshop, After Effects and Combustion.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM   #62
Trustee

Thomas,

Can a codecs, i.e. DNxHD, be added to the capture program supplied with Intensity? If not, does the capture program have built-in compression choices or is it uncompressed capture only? Thanks.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #63
Regular Crew

FYI,

If you are looking to get into the Avid with DNxHD, here is the flow.

Capture using the intensity to quicktime. Import into After Effects, and export to quicktime using the DNxHD codec. You must have a media composer installed to get all the resolutions. Then open Avid and do a quick import of the footage. It's actually not that bad of an option. I've done it and it works great. I'd say it took about 5 minutes to render to DNxHD 145 from uncompressed HD out of the HV20 and into the computer via Intensity. Once in the Avid it cuts like butter. BTW 1:30 of uncompressed video was about 11 GB. Wow! Cineform cuts that to about 400 to 500 meg and the blackmagic codec is similar and looks good too.

Chris
Chris Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #64
Major Player

More precision

So in other words, I can capture my footage out of a HV20 or a Sony V1 through Intensity, they edit and process the uncompressed footage in Vegas?
Can I also convert it in something else than HDV?
Thanks for the info
Larry
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Is there by chance an ETA for Intensity drivers for HV20 support AND Vista Ultimate 64-bit? I was disappointed finding out that it wasn't supported, but it seems like Blackmagic is aware of the needs of the user, so hopefully we'll see one soon?

Any info on this would be fantastic. Thanks!
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 09:29 PM   #66
Regular Crew

Oh, and Larry - i'm not exactly the most qualified source to answer your question but...

Using the HDMI output of your HV20, you can capture to your PC via the intensity card either Uncompressed (which requires a very fast RAID array), or Photo JPEG, or DVCPRO HD compression. Any compression other than uncompressed requires some (substantial) processing power by the PC you're capturing to, but IMHO it's worth it, unless you're maybe doing lots of compositing or something. I think with the new update there may be a new compression method for PC, but maybe not. I know now you can do ProRes 422 now with the Mac (Intel-only), which is awesome.

So to simply answer your question, yes, you can capture to something other than HDV (which is really the point of the Intensity card).

Hope this helped.
Dale Backus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders