Intensity now supports HV20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #16
Wrangler

Please clarify this: what exactly are the results when capturing footage shot in the 24p mode on this camera.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Papert View Post
Please clarify this: what exactly are the results when capturing footage shot in the 24p mode on this camera.
The camera outputs 1080i60 via HDMI and that's what we capture. It applies pull down to the 24p footage.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #18
Wrangler

Gotcha.

Is there any way to actually capture the 24p output of this camera without pulldown, anyway?
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #19
Regular Crew

if you use cineform neo HD to compress, it can remove the pulldown on the fly. otherwise you will need a second process with an app like after effects to remove th epulldown.

theres a number of threads on that here.

now wheres my xp64 drivers :)

terence
Terence Krueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I picked up one of the pro cards on the way home from work and installed it on a Dell 390 Workstation....

to be clear, This is a native 390 workstation with a Quad core processor,
a Quad Nvidia 3500 video card, sound blaster card, and 1394 card... 4 GB of memory running XP pro... it is naked with no virus or firewall...

The card installed correctly using the new 1.5 software from Black Magic.
The only issue I had during the install was that it knocked out the sound during the install. I fixed that by changing the sound back to the sound blaster card... I'll play with the black magic sound later to try and figure out what to do, if anything...

From a Windows standpoint the card is somewhat more complex than I expected. This is due to the presets that get loaded for Adobe Premiere Pro, Adobe Aftereffects and Photo shop.... yes it supports photoshop too.

But also I have not even began to explore the non HD funtion of the card...

The Card did fine captureing from the HV20 and it reports 1920x1080 4.2.2
8 bit... the video going to the timeline in PP 1.5.1 is reported as 29.97

It looks nice and no I dont have any footage to show... sorry, just too much to test...

Interesting that using the Cineform capture they piggy back off of the black magic and use their onscreen video display during capture... but it works great so no complaints from here.

The key is to understand what your cam is outputting and dont stray to other formats as the software gives you lots and lots of selections... and of course only one of those selections will work with the cam that is connected at the time...

I need to test some more and will report back as I work through all of the components...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #21
Major Player

Ray,

Thanks for that bit of insight there. I've yet to see oneof these cards and the software that controls it so if you could elaberate on how you chose codecs to capture to and perhaps some screenshots even, that would be great. I'm only familar with the good ol' analog TV capture cards. They had software that would let me select any compression codecs for a/v. Wondering if its the same with this thing.

Cheers!
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:57 AM   #22
Regular Crew

you can download the software from Black Magic.. in the zip file is a pdf with instructions and screen shots... if that will help...

they ask for a SN, but it seems that you can put anything in that box and the software downloads....
Old June 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #23
Contributor

How is the new version 1.5 software handling timeline monitoring through an external monitor? In particular, is it able to monitor anything captured with Cineform products?
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM   #24
Tourist

Hi folks,

I have the Intensity card installed on an Intel Mac Pro. I just wanted to share my experiences here in case other mac users wanted to give this a shot. After the upgrade to firmware 1.5, I was able to do the following:

- Plug in my HV20, connnect the HDMI, launch Final Cut Pro, and capture HDV footage from tape as a 1080i stream at 29.97

- In order to get that footag turned into 1080p @ 23.98 fps, you need to have Final Cut, or Cinema tools, or After Effects or some other program do the pull down removal. Check the software user guides and check other threads on this forum.

- I was able to monitor my timeline using the HDMI-Out port on the Intensity going to a HDTV. The HDTV I have can view 1080i footage, so I just selected the Intensity (1080i mode) as my monitoring source in FCP, and it immediately worked. I was able to monitor both standard DV timelines, as well as HD timelines. Looked great. :)

- One last thng that worked for me was that I did a live capture using Final Cut Pro and get the uncompressed imagery before it got crammed into the HDV codec. This worked for only a few seconds before my hard drive said "That's enough I can't keep up." But if I had a really fast drive or a RAID array, I could have kept up and gotten that footage.

FYI -- I am using Final Cut Pro 6 (FC Studio 2)

Jason
Jason Denzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #25
Wrangler

Sounds great Jason.

Have you looked at capturing live into lesser compressed formats--DVCPROHD, ProRes etc.? Let us know how that goes.
Old June 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM   #26
Tourist

Yeah, forgot to mention that. While doing the live capture, I did another test where I selected the Intensity 1080i capture using ProRes422 (HQ). The only ProRes capture option was ProRes High Quality (HQ). I did not see a capture option for standad ProRes. Which is fine by me. :)

It captured fine. A 45 second clip of video where the camera is locked down was 1.2 GB.

J
Jason Denzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Denzel View Post
Yeah, forgot to mention that. While doing the live capture, I did another test where I selected the Intensity 1080i capture using ProRes422 (HQ). The only ProRes capture option was ProRes High Quality (HQ). I did not see a capture option for standad ProRes. Which is fine by me. :)

It captured fine. A 45 second clip of video where the camera is locked down was 1.2 GB.

J
Hi,

We only created easy setups for ProRes (HQ) but if you want to try the standard ProRes codec, just duplicate the capture presets and flick it over.
Old June 8th, 2007, 01:53 AM   #28
New Boot

Is it possible to select any other codec before capturing?
Sevki Coemlek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 04:32 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Yes, you have the choice of non-compressed or jpeg when you use the black magic capture....

If you use Cineform you also have avi,mov or m2t
Old June 8th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #30
Contributor

Sorry to ask again, but does anyone know if Cineform files can now be viewed on an external monitor in Premiere with Intensity 1.5 drivers? In the past, Cineform Aspect and Prospect HD could not give external timeline monitoring with Blackmagic products. If that's changed, it will be a big bonus.
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders