Power Pack for HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Power Pack for HV20

Is there a power pack I can plug in to the "DC IN" jack that will safely enable me to record for longer periods, 2 - 4 hours? Thanks. Bob
Bob Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Er, yeah...........

It's called the battery charger/ power pack. The thing that comes with the camera, plugs into the mains one end and the camera at the other. Works for me.

Cheers,

Chris
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #3
New Boot

i think bob might be referring to something like these guys make for when an outlet isn't so available... it doesn't seem that they have one specifically for the hv20 yet, unfortunately...
Tim Haas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Sorry Tim....

Unless Bob can expand a bit on what, exactly, he was talking about, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for on that site.

'Fraid the crystal ball is fresh outa batteries and the guy with ESP just left the building.........

Cheers,

Chris
Old June 17th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Warner View Post
Is there a power pack I can plug in to the "DC IN" jack that will safely enable me to record for longer periods, 2 - 4 hours? Thanks. Bob
Try the Tekkeon MP3400. I bought it as a power supply for that 10" 720P monitor project I keep talking about. I found out that not only does it run my monitor for HOURS and HOURS, but it also makes a fantastic HV20 backup battery...

Sorry about the lack of statistics on hours of usage. Problem is, I haven't actually run it down fully in a single period of use.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com
Bruce Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
Unless Bob can expand a bit on what, exactly, he was talking about, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for on that site.

'Fraid the crystal ball is fresh outa batteries and the guy with ESP just left the building.........

Cheers,

Chris
I see 0% confusion in his original post. I new exactly what he was talking about, in fact I could've used one yesterday on a shoot.

How about you take the batteries out of your sarcasm generator, and use them for your crystal ball....;)

-burk
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM   #7
Major Player

I have an idea to use a LiOn or LiPoly 7.4v battery with a high mAh rating with a power connector from radioshack. These are used for R/C craft. If you have a model building shop in town, you can try to give them a visit. They could probably custom make you a small/large R/C pack connector to DC power connector (show them the CA-850 powerbrick to read the +/- side of the connector). So you can charge many racing packs and then change them out as they run out, while using the standard battery as 'backup' power between changes.

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...BATTERIES.html

Note that you should be careful about dropping LiPoly batteries or contact with water ... they don't have a solid shell unlike LiOn (which really need it -- can burst into flames 8-). An intelligent charger with automatic cutoff helps prevent overcharging.
Old June 17th, 2007, 11:44 PM   #8
Inner Circle

May I take it...........

that nobody here accepts that the non - latching concentric 2 pole power connector on the HV20 (and a lot of other equipment - designed BTW for "Static" only use) could not, under any circumstances, be called "safe" for long term, exterior, non static use?

I believe that was part of the original, tho' brief, brief?

Just a thought.

burk?

Hmm.

Cheers,

Chris
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Chris, it's one of those Americanisms. "Power pack" meaning "external battery pack" not "power adapter".

...and to keep things on topic, if on a budget, pick up an automotive DC-AC inverter and plug the existing camera power adapter into that. Any old 12V battery can then be used to power the inverter, like a 12V cordless power-tool battery.

Andrew.
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #10
Regular Crew

...and using the inverter approach opens up some other options for powering lighting and/or audio gear and accessories.

Andrew.
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks for the excellent tips. And let's not be so hard on Chris. Whether he did or did not understand the post he was at least trying to be funny. Bob
Bob Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dulay View Post
I have an idea to use a LiOn or LiPoly 7.4v battery with a high mAh rating with a power connector from radioshack. These are used for R/C craft. If you have a model building shop in town, you can try to give them a visit. They could probably custom make you a small/large R/C pack connector to DC power connector (show them the CA-850 powerbrick to read the +/- side of the connector). So you can charge many racing packs and then change them out as they run out, while using the standard battery as 'backup' power between changes.

http://www.rctoys.com/rc-toys-and-pa...BATTERIES.html

Note that you should be careful about dropping LiPoly batteries or contact with water ... they don't have a solid shell unlike LiOn (which really need it -- can burst into flames 8-). An intelligent charger with automatic cutoff helps prevent overcharging.

The R/C batteries will work, or you could make your own. I originally built one for my PV-GS300, but converted the connection for the HV20 (the connection was easy to find). I used a 6 “C” size battery holder (to achieve 7.2 volts with 1.2 volt NIMH batteries). I had some 5000 mAH C cells that I had picked up from Battery Space for my bike lights, so I used them and it works great. The only soldering that I had to do was to solder the connection wires to the battery holder. With the 5000 mAH cells, I get approx. 4 times the run time of my factory battery. I went ahead and made another one that uses AA cells, with almost double the run time of the standard battery. You could also use 7.2 volt batteries and chargers from RC cars. I also made a small belt pack to carry it in or to hang it on the tripod (You could buy a factory made one that looks more professional).

Pic with the PV-GS300:
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...tteryPack1.jpg

Last edited by Tom Alexander; June 19th, 2007 at 08:14 AM.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #13
Regular Crew

H Tom,

I'm too going to build an extended pack similar to yours as it makes a lot of sense, especially as a backup when you can stop at a store and pickup C cells in an emergancy.

Off topic, but do you still use your Panasonic? I truely hated my GS280 (same as 300 without DV IN) due to the CCD smear whenever it was pointed at bright light. Got rid of it the moment my HV20 arrived :)

R
Rikki Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Bruce, have you tried running down fully the Tekkeon on HV20? I'd like to know how long is the capacity. Thanks
Ian Lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM   #15
Regular Crew

A note on the "C" cells. The NiMH cells are 1.2 volt, so you use 6 cells. If you use Alkaline, as you would if you were to stop at a store to pick some up in an emergency, you would want to use a 5 cell holder as they are 1.5 volts and your voltage would be too high with 6. Someone mentioned that they use a 6 cell holder so that they could use either NiMH or alkaline, with a "dummy" cell (just a wooden dowel with a conductive metal band to bridge the slot) in the 6th slot when using alkaline batteries.

I still use the PV-GS300 as a "B" reel, miles better than any other camera in its price range at the time (maybe I just didn't point it at bright light... :). Too bad they eliminated the external mic input on the GS320, effectively ruining the camera for videography. I also use it in my underwater housing, but I just picked one up for the HV20 as well.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders