Quicktime captures HDV from HV20 now at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 12th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Quicktime captures HDV from HV20 now

Not earth shattering news, I know, but I am fairly certain this did not work before this update. I tried this on a whim after the recent Quicktime update (7.2) http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ and noticed that I can now record HDV. I am not sure if this is HV20 specific or HDV.

Hopefully, someone will benefit from knowing this.
Brandon Svec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #2
Tourist

Thanks for that Brandon, I'd given up on quicktime and its error messages.I'll download this update later and see how it goes.
Cheers
Moira Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. This could potentially be a great news.

After your post I tried it and Quicktime player sees HV20 as video input source. You can select 'Device native' as capture format and Quicktime player (pro version) will record HDV movie even without the tape running. So in theory this enables virtual HDV deck and lets you bypass tape recording altoghter.

However it is not as useful as it can be. Resulting file is a quicktime mov with 1440x1080 29.97 HDV codec, but Quicktime cannot play the movie it captured :-o Even with QT mpeg2 playback component installed this 'HDV' codec won't play. Mplayer or VLC can play it but that's it. There is nothing you can do with this file.

If Quicktime adds a 'HDV' codec, then this would be a great feature. Your computer can double as a virtual HDV deck. You will be able to reverse telecine with JES deinterlacer from the original codec file rather than transcoded one, saving you one generational quality loss. Hopefully Apple will soon fix this and make this new feature complete by supporting HDV playback in QT.
Euisung Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Do a feature request at Apple's feedback page and explain the problem. They listen, even if they never reply.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders