Best editing Software for XH A1 Camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 13th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Vegas all the way!

I have tried them all.. even got the upgrade to Adobe CS3. The things I don't like about CS3 is one: the video quality in the final render is not very good. Premeire Elements renders better than CS3 I think... and two: the video quality of Adobe Encore's output to SD is poor no matter what I try to do to make it better.

On the other hand, I think the Vegas Suite out performs CS3 in both those areas. Vegas also has some nice filters that CS3 doesn't have.

The bad news though: the latest version of Vegas works horribly on Vista. GRRRRR!

-John
John B. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:51 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Anyone else used Vegas 8 or Avid Liquid 7?

Thanks...i think i have narrowed it down to Vegas 8, but will not upgrade to Vista and stay with XP. What sort of video card etc do you used then with Vegas 8? Any other input?

WBoehm
Bothell, WA
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #18
Major Player

After buying my camera, I was totally out of money and could just use the trial versions of NLE's until they ran out.
In a state of desperation, I tried the following for my editing options:

I should put a tutorial together really.
Attached Images

Dennis Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Dennis,

Transitions must be a bitch! Can you angle cut for a dissolve?!?!?!?! :)

Mike
Old November 14th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #20
Regular Crew

LMAO @ Dennis

Sorry for the post, but that was just too funny. I'm still laughing....
John B. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:12 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Smith View Post
I have Vegas 8 and for over a month have been told by Sony that they don't have a fix to allow Version 8 to capture 24f even though Version 7 did. My most recent explanation has been that Sony can't afford to buy a XH-A1 to work out the problem. I myself am looking at Adobe very soon even though I just bought Vegas for the upgrade price. By the way, they recommended that I use HDV Split to capture. I told them that I found it ridiculous to go out of the high priced supposedly all-inclusive software to a free-ware program to perform a function that already worked in a previous version. Go figure. Everyone needs to write Sony and let them know we XH-A1/G1 owners aren't happy.

So can't you just capture in vegas 7 and than open the files in vegas 8? I have both and 6 as well, so isn't that possible?
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:14 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Eastwood View Post
So can't you just capture in vegas 7 and than open the files in vegas 8? I have both and 6 as well, so isn't that possible?

Yea you can... all it does is take the digital data off the tape on to your harddrive.. i use vegas 7 to capture all the time and then import it into premiere pro or avid from there...
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #23
Regular Crew

still no feedback?

I still havent heard from anyone concerning the usability of Vegas 8 vs Avid Liquid 7, although i think i have narrowed it down to Vegas 8. I will not upgrade to Vista and stay with XP. Any other input? What sort of video card etc do you used then with Vegas 8?

WBoehm
Bothell, WA
William Boehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #24
Major Player

I have vegas 6 7 and 8 and run everything from ati 512 cards and nvidia 8800 and 8600 cards, all systems have two cards running two 24"lcd monitors and one 1992x1080 lcd hdtv. The slowest system is a dual dual core amd 5000, the fastest are dual quad core 6600's all have at least 4 gigs on the vista machines and 8 gigs on the xp64 machines. The dual quad running vista with 4 gigs and nvidia is fast the extra ram on a simlar machine running xp64 makes no difference. The nvidia is much faster than ati on the smae machines so in general I would look at nvidia.
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #25
Major Player

Stephen,

That's a great explanation. I have a machine similar to your vista machine and editing HDV on that machine with PPro CS3 is quite fun. I've composited up to 8 HD video layers and can edit/scrub in real time.

Ralph,
Your hard drives are as important as your the rest of your hardware for editing HD video. Ideally you need a RAID configuration that will double (or quadruple) your disk IO. At the end of the day, this is the bottle neck and things will go really slow in most editing software if your disk IO is not fast enough.

Last edited by Shiv Kumar; November 16th, 2007 at 01:39 AM.
Shiv Kumar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders