Holy Guacamole! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Mahoney View Post
Trish,
The deep focus technique is something I just recently read about. I'm new to this and trying to learn all of the time. I read about it in a book called "Understanding Movies" by Louis Gianetti, a Film and Literature Professor. Apparently the technique is used extensively in "Citizen Kane" and other classic-type films, not so much today.
Love that book, was the text in my very first film class. Still informs my work today.
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:47 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bishop View Post
Steve,
What frame rate were you shooting in ?
Good ol' 60i, I have final cut express so I don't think I can shoot in 24f or 30f.
Steve Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Mahoney View Post
I read about it in a book called "Understanding Movies" by Louis Gianetti, a Film and Literature Professor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill View Post
Love that book, was the text in my very first film class. Still informs my work today.
Same here. It was a primary text in RTF317, Narrative Strategies, one of my favorite classes in film school at UT Austin as taught by the dynamic duo, Jim Wehmeyer and Eithne Johnson. It still sits on my book shelf today, somewhat worn out but worth its weight in gold. Thanks for mentioning it,
Attached Thumbnails
Holy Guacamole!-img_1836.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
The defraction problem only applies to cameras with digital sensors, not with film cameras. Not everything that applied to film applies to digital! However, because the digital sensor is smaller than a frame of (35mm) film, you get a greater depth of field for the same magnification. You don't need to use such a small aperture to get the same effect.
The diffraction problem exists for film cameras as well, just at smaller apertures, F22 etc.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Same here. It was a primary text in RTF317, Narrative Strategies, one of my favorite classes in film school at UT Austin as taught by the dynamic duo, Jim Wehmeyer and Eithne Johnson. It still sits on my book shelf today, somewhat worn out but worth its weight in gold. Thanks for mentioning it,
This book rules. I've read it cover to cover already. Actually, I'm at the very end, reading the author's thesis on "Citizen Kane."

The problem is, I'm pretty new to video and I'm learning by leaps and bounds. But when reading a great book like this there is almost too much information being thrown at me at once. Every little section I read has so much good info that I'm constantly reading and going "yeah, I want to do that," or "wow, what a great idea! I'm doing that next," or "Deep focus? That sounds cool. I'll use that on my next shoot..."

So I need to learn to pace myself. But a very good book. Mr. Giannetti, my hat's off to you!
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders