DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/126811-xh-custom-presets-download-library-copy.html)

Chris Hurd March 14th, 2007 02:55 PM

David, I'll try to gather up the various presets that have been submitted since I originally transposed this download library, and get them formatted into a new version of that old Excel spreadsheet. Will try to get that done tonight.

David McGiffert March 14th, 2007 03:17 PM

Chris,

Not kissing a**,
but it is impressive how responsive you are...

Thanks,

David

Steven Dempsey March 14th, 2007 10:50 PM

New PRESET

2 Attachment(s)
Okay, I'm working on a new preset for those looking for more intense colors without going to extremes in the settings. Tad Ryan inspired me to work on something better than what I was getting from my PANALOOK preset.

I'm still working on it but I wanted to give you a preview from a test I did today. I should have it finished in a couple of days and will then upload it here. It will be called VIVIDRGB:

Tad Ryan March 14th, 2007 11:36 PM

Vividrgb

Good points Steven. Can't wait to see your new VIVIDRGB preset. Thanks for working on this.

Jim Duggins March 15th, 2007 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz (Post 638384)
i'm going to try to upload a preset using the DVinfo uploader.

the title is MEMORY, we're using it for a flashback scene. it's basically a yellow bleach bypass, for those of you familiar with Juan Diaz' bleach bypass, his is very blue-green, we were looking for something different. it looks really cool if you blow out the highlights a bit....

eureka, seems like it worked....

Can you type it out? I can't read a CPF file and am interested in your yellow bleach-bypass preset.

Bill Busby March 15th, 2007 02:48 AM

Dark examples mystery solved

Not that it matters really, but this just occured to me why Chris's examples on page 1 of this thread were so dark. He must have been in Card mode rather than Tape mode.

I noticed a while back that Card mode is considerably darker & then read somewhere that it's supposedly optimized for stills.

Bill

Larry Chapman March 15th, 2007 09:22 AM

Presets 5 & 7 swapped?

I'm just loading up my new A1 with these presets and I think numbers 5 & 7 are swapped. The posted descriptions don't match the name the camera gives me when I go to import them card->camera.

Bill Busby March 15th, 2007 09:29 AM

Yea, it's only the descriptions, but then again they are swapped on the photo examples on page 1 of this thread as well.

Bill

Chris Hurd March 15th, 2007 09:58 AM

Sorry fellows, it's a work in progress. Obviously I have some serious work to do regarding this thread. The pics were *not* shot in card mode; they're dark because it was indoors in the middle of the night. I'll re-do those as well. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated...

Bill Busby March 15th, 2007 01:30 PM

Dang! Sorry Chris. I stand corrected.

And here I thought I figured out something.

Bill

Steven Dempsey March 16th, 2007 03:35 PM

VividRGB

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my new preset based on demand for more vivid colors. I developed one earlier (the windmill shots in this thread) but it fell apart in lighting that was not full sunlight so I had to start from scratch.

I used Panalook as my starting reference and built up from there. The colors are much more intense than Panalook and may appeal to those looking for more of a punch. I haven't had time to do a spreadsheet on this so I'm sorry for those who need that.

I'm including a quick still out the window of my office using this preset in slightly diffused sunlight and also the CPF preset itself. I'm calling it VIVIDRGB.

I have waited and waited for a sunny day here in Seattle but with no luck so the example below is not ideal, the sky was pretty bright and I didn't have a graduated ND filter at hand. If I had, you could see how intense the blue sky is.

I have not tested this for noise or sharpness and in all lighting conditions so tweak it as you like.

Chris Hurd March 16th, 2007 04:02 PM

Awesome, thanks a bunch Steven -- I can work up the SpreadSheet but I need to add all the other presets that have been submitted since Vol. I of the download library. There must be six or seven of 'em floating around here somewhere... many thanks,

John Benton March 16th, 2007 05:28 PM

Thanks Chris -
I always love Steven's Panavision, so I can't wait for you to excell it!
Gracias Muchos

Chris Hurd March 16th, 2007 05:35 PM

Hey John, don't you have a couple of presets you shared here once or twice before, that didn't make it into Vol. I?

Meryem Ersoz March 16th, 2007 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Duggins (Post 641976)
Can you type it out? I can't read a CPF file and am interested in your yellow bleach-bypass preset.

hi jim: it's loaded into my office computer/camera, so it'll take me a bit of time, since i've been stuck working at home for a couple of days, but i'm happy to do it.

steven: i can't wait to try this out. it sounds promising! thanks for all your contributions.

John Benton March 16th, 2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 643009)
Hey John, don't you have a couple of presets you shared here once or twice before, that didn't make it into Vol. I?

yep.
I will write them out by hand again - I don't have a card reader so can't upload those files,
but I'll write them out & post them again (with more)

Thanks,

Steven Dempsey March 17th, 2007 06:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the settings for VIVIDRGB in an Excel spreadsheet

John Benton March 17th, 2007 09:36 AM

Steven,
Excellent !
a few questions ... as you know the H1's menu only goes to +9
so for your 10 I put 4
for your 15 I put 6
for your 25 I put 9

The one thing I worrk about is the RED munching the H1 loves to do,
is this better on the A1/G1?

Thanks for all your insight
J

Meryem Ersoz March 17th, 2007 05:01 PM

for jim:

MEMORY

Color Matrix Cine 1
Color Gain -41
Red Gain 10
Blue Gain -50
Color Phase 9

and those are the only changes. i'm sure this could benefit from more time spent with it, especially in terms of playing with the blacks. but i set this up on the first day i had the camera. it's not bad, for what it is....

Lino Miniello March 19th, 2007 07:24 AM

vividrgb

thanks a lot Steven for vividrgb. Very nice!

Steven Dempsey March 19th, 2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Benton (Post 643242)
Steven,
Excellent !
a few questions ... as you know the H1's menu only goes to +9
so for your 10 I put 4
for your 15 I put 6
for your 25 I put 9

The one thing I worrk about is the RED munching the H1 loves to do,
is this better on the A1/G1?

Thanks for all your insight
J

John, red and certain shades of orange are always a huge concern for me in DV or HDV so I really try to avoid shooting it as much as possible. If you don't have a choice and there is a lot of red in what you are shooting, don't use a preset like this, it will definitely cause problems. Having said that, it's amazing how many shots I've taken that have no red in them :)

Your conversion to the H1 seems about right but I can't tell for sure. My Panalook preset looked a little different on the A1 but not enough for me to want to change it. You'll probably get close enough.

Steven Dempsey March 20th, 2007 05:47 PM

There have been reports that the VIVIDRGB has a magenta cast. Please also try this and let me know which one you prefer. I will then make it the official VIVIDRGB version:

EDIT:
There are reports of a magenta cast so try this one also and let me know which one you guys prefer.

GAM Cine2
KNE Low
BLK Middle
PED -7
SET -1
SHP 1
HDF Middle
DHV 0
COR 0
NR1 0
NR2 0
CMX Cine2
CGN 15
CPH 0
Red Gain 14
Green Gain 20
Blue Gain 14
RG Matrix 15
RB Matrix 10
GR Matrix 10
GB Matrix 15
BR Matrix 25
BG Matrix 25

David McGiffert March 20th, 2007 06:38 PM

Steve,

This variation is less magenta, which I prefer.
It is still a touch vibrant in the reds
which I might tone back abit,
but that's all just personal tweeking that
we all probaby do with these pre-sets.
Thanks for putting in the time.
It has given alot of us a jump up the learning curve - well, me anyway.

David

Russ Speiser April 2nd, 2007 10:18 AM

Presets to match other cameras.

I just did a shoot yesterday with two A1s and a DSR-400 and the VIVRGB came closest. I did turn down the red a bit and used 2800K for a white balance to try and get it closer. The other VIVRGB (trying to correct for Magenta) looked too cold even at 3300K.

As an aside, it sure would be helpful to have other presets to try and match other cameras. There are already several for the DVX100, but it would be great to have a library of presets available for multi-cam shoots.

Russ

Steven Dempsey April 2nd, 2007 10:24 AM

Russ,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm a little confused...which was your preference, the preset in post #51 or #62 of this thread?

Russ Speiser April 2nd, 2007 10:47 AM

#51, even though I shifted the red s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y and went colder on WB it was still closer (and had more magenta) than #62, which I also tried.

Russ

Steven Dempsey April 4th, 2007 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OKay, I want to discard all other attempts at the preset I call VIVIDRGB and make this the new and final one for now:

Gamma: Cine1
Color Matrix: N
Color Gain: +40 (adjust to taste)
Color Phase: 0
Knee: Low
Black: Middle
Master Ped: -5
Setup Level: 0
Horizontal Detail Frequency: High (or mid, depending on your preference)
H/V Detail balance: 0
Sharpness: +3 (or adjust to taste)
NR1: Off
NR2: Off
Coring: 0
Red Gain: 0
Green Gain: -10
Blue Gain: 0
RG Matrix: 0
RB Matrix: -15
GR Matrix: 0
GB Matrix: 8
BR Matrix: 0
BG Matrix: -15

This appears to my eye as neutral (no color casts) aside from some red in the highlights which I can live with and fix in post if needed. I'm just not sure how to adjust for that directly in-camera. Special thanks to Tom Roper for kick starting the settings.

Here's a still using this on an overcast day:

Alex Leith April 4th, 2007 04:52 PM

Looking pretty good, Steve. I think I'm going to try this one out!

Paul Cronin April 5th, 2007 06:55 AM

Hi Steve,

Looks nice I will give this one a try tomorrow on a shoot.

Thank you for your help. Big jump for me coming from the Z1.

Steven Dempsey April 5th, 2007 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the CPF file for the new VIVIDRGB

David McGiffert April 5th, 2007 09:32 PM

Steven,

Any chance of an excel doc. for that adjusted preset?
(mac)...

Thanks,

David

Steven Dempsey April 5th, 2007 09:34 PM

I have documented the preset setting by setting in post #57.

Bill Busby April 5th, 2007 10:22 PM

Sorry if this a tad off topic, but I've seen enough posts regarding people with Macs who always ask for a Custom Preset file in a Excel file format. What is it about Mac's with a SD card reader that can't save a .cpf file to their card? It's not like it has to be opened/read. Isn't it a simple save to the SD card or at the very least a save to drive & transfer to card kind of thing?

Bill

James Binder April 6th, 2007 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey (Post 654846)
I have documented the preset setting by setting in post #57.

Do you mean post #67?

Looks great, thanks --I love how the blue pops against the green (and vise versa) in your test shot...

Steven Dempsey April 6th, 2007 06:14 AM

Yes, I mean 67 :)

Steven Dempsey April 8th, 2007 09:51 PM

Oh, and make the color gain 25, not 40. Tom Roper found that cranking the color like that introduces noise and 25 is almost as vivid as 40

Tom Roper April 8th, 2007 10:17 PM

Steven, I think you should post the settings again. Post #67 above is not correct, not just for the color gain should be +25 not +40 as you noted, but also the RGB gains are not the new ones. Matrix settings are the old ones also.

What you've created is beautiful.

Steven Dempsey April 8th, 2007 10:50 PM

Final settings for VIVIDRGB

6 Attachment(s)
Tom, I very much appreciate your help.

You can download the CPF file at the bottom of this post (It's currently called PRESET30.CPF but you can rename it to the preset number you want it to be on your card or camera).

Just so everyone knows what the final settings are:
Gamma: Cine1
Color Matrix: Normal
Color Gain: 25 (thanks, Tom)
Color Phase: 0
Knee: Low
Black: Middle
Setup Level: 0
HDF: High (This can be "mid" if sharpness is 0)
H/V Detail: 0
Sharpness: 3 (adjust to taste)
NR1: Off
NR2: Off
Coring: 0
Red Gain: -2
Green Gain: -2
Blue Gain: -3
RG Matrix: 0
RB Matrix: 0
GR Matrix: 0
GB Matrix: 10
BR Matrix: 0
BG Matrix: -13

See below for four example shots of my kids on an overcast day and indoors with natural light to demonstrate how the preset handles intense red and skin tones.

The bottom two stills are a comparison of the DVX100B (with settings listed below) and the XHA1 (with the VIVIDRGB settings).

Here are the DVX settings for anyone interested. Everything is zero in the DVX settings except for the following:
Chroma Level: 4
Gamma: Cinelike
Knee: Auto
Matrix: Normal
V Detail Frequency: Thin

For the bottom two stills, the XHA1 had the 1/32 ND engaged at F3.7 and the DVX had the ND 1/64 engaged at F4.8

Guillaume Cottin April 9th, 2007 03:56 PM

Hi all !

This is a superb preset ! Great job.
I think it is the best for the moment. The most difficult was to keep neutral colours, and that was precisely what I was looking for and that I couldn't find with the other presets.
This could be renamed "NEUTRAL" !... I will put it as my CP1.
Maybe the black level could be set to "press" so that it would better match the DVX.

Thanks Steven, but how do you tweak your presets ? Do you use the Canon "console" software ?..

GC

Jim Duggins April 9th, 2007 07:31 PM

The best all-around useful preset from this list, IMO, is Kodak, followed by the original Bleach Bypass by Juan (if you're shooting war, horror or bleak sci-fi/futuristic).

The old VividRGB turned everything I shot into a bad Disney cartoon colorwise, but I'll have to test the "final" version. That said, I'm not half the cameraman Disjecta is, and his results with the prior version of his preset (like that gorgeous dogwalkers in morning fog vid) are phenomenal...

Note: So far, the final version looks MUCH better!