DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/126811-xh-custom-presets-download-library-copy.html)

Kees van Duijvenbode March 17th, 2008 04:12 PM

Hey Steve, how much is a few days ....?
I'm very anxious to try your new settings.

Dave Pecunies March 18th, 2008 10:44 AM

Does anyone know what setting would match a Sony Z1U. I have a shoot next week and everyone is using the Z1 and FX1 except for me with the A1.

Steven Dempsey March 18th, 2008 02:42 PM

Hmmm, I'm finding TrueColor to have a pretty major blue cast and also, given that the pedestal, setup and black are cranked all the way down, this means there will be very little detail in shadow. I wouldn't exactly call this a neutral preset by a long shot.

Taj Jackson March 18th, 2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey (Post 844595)
Hmmm, I'm finding TrueColor to have a pretty major blue cast and also, given that the pedestal, setup and black are cranked all the way down, this means there will be very little detail in shadow. I wouldn't exactly call this a neutral preset by a long shot.

I used the TrueColor settings taken from Paolo Ciccone's page. Not from the file provided before. There were two settings that were pretty different. That might explain the blue cast.
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=116993&page=2

I still don't know what to change to get more detail in the shadow area from this preset.

Steven, I've been using your VividRGB and love it. Hoping you post your new preset soon.

Bill Busby March 18th, 2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taj Jackson (Post 844747)
I still don't know what to change to get more detail in the shadow area from this preset.

Taj, the blacks are pressed for one thing. Try middle or stretch.

Steven Dempsey March 18th, 2008 11:06 PM

Three parameters affect black specifically:

1. Pedestal - negative numbers=blacker
2. Setup - negative numbers=blacker
3. Black - Press will crush the blacks, Mid is a good average of decent black levels, Stretch will make the blacks a little milkier but you will retain more detail in the recorded image.

Taj Jackson March 19th, 2008 12:23 AM

Awesome.. Thanks Bill and Steve

Steve Kachocki March 28th, 2008 06:59 AM

Modified Panalook?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey (Post 839572)
I'll try to get to it in the next few days....really busy right now.

Hi Steven D,
I am sure I speak for the crowd when I say that many of the users here are looking forward to seeing the changes you made to your panalook setting. I know you are busy making wonderful images and work pays the bills, but was wondering if you would just quickly post the cpf file without any explanations. Then we can all compare the new panalook to the original using one of the settings editors available to learn what you changed. This would be a good way for me to gain experience in understanding the changes and thier ultimate efect on the picture. We all appreciate your technical abilities. Thanks, Steve

Kees van Duijvenbode March 28th, 2008 07:04 AM

I second that.

Steven Dempsey March 30th, 2008 10:03 AM

Sure, here you go:

Panalook 2.0

Gamma: Cine2
Color Matrix: Cine2
Color Gain: -4
CPH: 0
Knee: Low
Black: Stretch
Master Ped: -7
Setup Level: -1
HDF: Mid
DHV: 0
Sharpness: -2
NR1: Off
NR2: Off
Coring: 0
RGN: 8
GGN: 11
BGN: 12
RGM: 0
RBM: 0
GRM: 0
GBM: 0
BRM: 0
BGM: 0

Taj Jackson March 30th, 2008 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you Steven for taking the time to post your new Panalook settings. I'm sure many of us really appreciate it.
So here it is guys, Steven Dempsey's new Panalook 2.0. I can't wait to try it out myself.

Kees van Duijvenbode March 31st, 2008 01:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For those who are interested:
I made myself a preset, based on the Factory setting, with which I create footage with vivid and natural colors under various lighting conditions. Based on trial and error and testing the results via shooting all day stuff in my living room, my kitchen and the surroundings around our house, then capturing -> rendering -> burn it to DVD and watch it on my TV, I tuned the preset by comparing what I see on the TV to what I see with my bare eyes around me. I tested it last weekend with bright sunlight and later with a cloudy sky (indoors and outdoors), and during the evening with low-light and with my PAG light (also indoors and outdoors) and I see what I like and like what I see so I call it REALITY. Those who want to try, be my guest.

Mervyn Keys March 31st, 2008 09:43 AM

I have been using Wolfgangs preset for a few weddings now and I am very pleased with the results. Have also tried the True Colour preset and you really have to crank up the WB to sort out the blue cast issue, But it is still very good.
My initial unscientific tests have been very pleasing in relation to REALITY preset, particularly at -3db. Will see how it copes at the wedding party at 6db and 12db for my next wedding which I feel will be the real test.

Kees van Duijvenbode March 31st, 2008 02:11 PM

I've also been trying the Wolfgang presets. I liked the colors although green was a little to hard in my opinion. But I noticed much ghosting with that presets while panning or with moving objects. Especially in low-light conditions. That's why I dissed them.

Steven Dempsey March 31st, 2008 02:29 PM

The only reason ghosting would appear would be if either of the noise reduction parameters are engaged. If you like the overall look of a preset and the NR is on, simply turn it off and there will be no more ghosting.

Kees van Duijvenbode March 31st, 2008 02:37 PM

OK. I thought NR1 and -2 were just one of the possible causes for ghosting. If they are the only cause I will try the Wolfgang presets again without NR.

BTW: First testings with your new Panalook setting are also very good. Much like my preset except for the lesser GC.

Do you think that PAL cams show different results with a certain preset than NTSC cams? Mine is a PAL version.

Steven Dempsey March 31st, 2008 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode (Post 851868)

Do you think that PAL cams show different results with a certain preset than NTSC cams? Mine is a PAL version.

I couldn't really say.

The other possible reason for ghosting is that the shutter speed is set too low...check that also. Of course the shutter speed is independent of the preset parameters...sometimes it can get knocked.

Kees van Duijvenbode March 31st, 2008 02:41 PM

OK, come to Holland with your NTSC cam this summer and we search it out :-))

Steven Dempsey March 31st, 2008 02:47 PM

Okay, I'll be right there.

Jonathan Schwartz April 4th, 2008 11:35 PM

Reality Preset

Kees,

Just wanted to let you know that I got a chance to use your "reality" preset today. I was filming a concert band festival and a stage with very uneven lighting. The preset seemed to be much more forgiving in the darker areas than many others. Have not edited yet but all looks good on the monitor. I think this will end up being a good wedding reception preset as well. Thanks for sharing!

Jonathan Schwartz
CA Video Productions

Peter Szilveszter April 6th, 2008 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Dempsey (Post 839570)
I actually quit using VIVIDRGB mainly because I found it to be too red. I now use a slightly modified version of my other preset Panalook and am getting much better results, not as vibrant but skin tones are more realistic.

I've tested Panalook 2.0 and totaly agree the skin tones are great. I love the Vividrgb but for shooting people the Panalook is better.

Also if anyone is trying to match up the HV20 to the A1 the Panalook 2.0 works great with the HV20 set to Cinemode and contrast and colour set to 0. I get very close results now with the 2 cams.

Kiflom Bahta April 9th, 2008 12:17 PM

It will be nice if you guys can post grabs or footage so we can compare. thx

Randy Panado April 9th, 2008 12:22 PM

I second that. If you have a chance, please post up reality and panalook 2.0 grabs. I'm away from my A1 else I just test them myself. Thanks in advance.

Guest April 12th, 2008 10:14 AM

hi all,

Is there a page with all the latest presets that you guys uploaded?
Its confusing to find them with all the ajustments and all.

many thanks, Jasper

Kees van Duijvenbode April 12th, 2008 11:47 AM

Jasper, send me an e-mail to kees-dot-duif at chello-dot-nl and I send you an archive. I collected them all. And there is a dutch forum now where the operator is busy to make a comparison video with 8 secs footage off all the presets that have been shared on this forum. Look here.

Guest April 12th, 2008 02:17 PM

thanks kees, mail has been send, jasper

Chris Hurd April 12th, 2008 02:53 PM

Kees, I'll have to send you an email as well. I need to update our presets download library and your collection will be an enormous help. Thanks in advance,

Phil Taylor April 12th, 2008 06:16 PM

Presets

When this video opens, what is the preset for the first portion? I think it looks very good!

Henrik Joensen April 13th, 2008 03:10 AM

Kees,

Is there any change you can post a link with Excel file for your 'reality' preset?

Many thanks.

Vincent Oliver April 13th, 2008 08:18 AM

Chris, I am finding it hard to keep track on some of these threads, can you limit them to say 5 or 10 pages. This one is hitting the 16 pages mark.

Regards

Chris Hurd April 13th, 2008 12:08 PM

I feel the same way Vincent. When I return home from NAB, I will overhaul this thread -- splitting it in two: one thread for the actual preset file downloads, the other thread for commentary and discussions. Hope this helps,

Kees van Duijvenbode April 14th, 2008 12:52 AM

@henrik: I'll see if I remember this evening to put my settings in an Excel file.

Richard Gooderick April 14th, 2008 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees van Duijvenbode (Post 858874)
And there is a dutch forum now where the operator is busy to make a comparison video with 8 secs footage off all the presets that have been shared on this forum. Look here.

Thanks. This is really interesting.
But not very useful wihout captions naming the presets.
Any idea whether the author might do this?

Kees van Duijvenbode April 14th, 2008 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a .xls file with my REALITY settings.

Kees van Duijvenbode April 14th, 2008 01:39 PM

@ Richard: He's still busy with it.

Henrik Joensen April 14th, 2008 04:05 PM

Infact so busy he got me download the xls sheet, Thanks alot Kees,
will find some time to try it.

Kees van Duijvenbode April 15th, 2008 07:39 AM

He's not me... :-))

Gert Kracht April 20th, 2008 04:19 PM

I was working on the Custom Preset movie I made last month.
I want to repeat the recordings because it was great weather last time, but the sun disapeared behind a thin layer of cloud now and then. I'd rather have the new results with a constant light...as much as possible.

I gathered all CP's on a few SD cards and then I started filming in this order:

1 - Select CP
2 - Set white ballance with a white reference card
3 - Make recordings for about 10 seconds
4 - Go back to 1 (next CP)

QUESTION: or should I change my test workflow?

I want to repeat the same stuff in low light (but constant lighting) and in dark circumstances. Right now I have gathered around 30 presets. Their names and makers will be mentioned in the final version of the movie.

Kees van Duijvenbode April 21st, 2008 01:07 AM

You're great Gert. I'm very curious about the results.

Allan Black April 23rd, 2008 10:14 PM

Thanks to all who contributed their time and obvious expertise in compiling these presets.

IMO anyone who has these cameras and thinks they can knock up their own over the weekend is barking up the wrong street. Don't waste your time, these guys have not only beaten you to it, they have done it in style.

Cheers.