DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/126811-xh-custom-presets-download-library-copy.html)

Steven Dempsey August 4th, 2007 08:26 AM

Mickey, also keep in mind that there are limitations on the camera itself in terms of what it can "see" if there is very little light. When auto gain is engaged in a dimly lit space, it will tend to crank the gain up to the max. You may not be able to see the full effect of the noise being added to your picture until you look at it through a TV screen.

Try the presets in a number of different situations (with the AGC off) from brightly sun lit scenes to dimly lit interior night scenes and get a sense of what the camera is capable of doing.

Mickey Mackwan August 4th, 2007 11:25 PM

thanks a lot guys i will follow the path you showed might comeback with more problems

Garrett Low August 8th, 2007 02:47 PM

Preset to match Panasonic PV-GS400

Hello Everone,

I am a new XH A1 owner. I've had it for about 2 weeks now and have been experimenting with it and am amazed at the camera. Before this I had (and still have) a Sony RTV900. I spent hours on this site before purchasing my camera and have gotten great info. Great site.

I am going to be shooting a small dance recital using my A1 and borrowing a friends Panasonic PV-GS400. Does anyone have a preset to use as a start that comes close to the PV-GS400. The last recital I shot I used 4 small consumer cameras and spent hours trying to color match them as close as possible. Even after that it was very noticeable when I switched from one camera to the other. I was planning on using the PV-GS400 to shoot the full stage and use my XH A1 to follow the principle dancer or get close ups.

Also, I've read a lot about shooting stage performances. The spotlights pose some interesting challenges in getting good coloring. I was planning on using full manual settings, Shutter speed 1/60th and getting the highest f stop so that I could have a decent DOF. My goal is to be able to set the focus and leave it so the camera doesn't hunt in low light situations. I also wouldl like to set the gain to 0 but am not sure if that will be possible. I may need to use +3. I was planning on using the PV-GS400 to shoot the full stage and use my XH A1 to follow the principle dancer or get close ups.

I would really appreciate any advice or tips you all could give me to get the best possible result.

Thanks and again, great sight.

Mickey Mackwan August 13th, 2007 05:28 AM

Thanks to chris and steven i have been able to shoot quite a lot and have learned from you guys a lot might upload some footage later and get your opinion on what you guys think ...i still need a lot to learn........

Pavel Sedlak September 18th, 2007 09:14 AM

what do you think about this my Gama2 setting (with low noise)

has a small noise and I can use this setting with +12dB gain with smaller noise
then other settings with +6dB (brightness between them looks closed, but this setting is a little better). Setting has a nice soft look.

GAM 2
CMX1
CGN -4
CPH 0

KNE L
BLK M
PED -3
SET 0

SHP 0
HDF M
DHV 0
COR -2

NR1 0
NR2 0

all rest 0

Larry Secrest September 25th, 2007 05:39 AM

Thanks Mr. Chapman

After playing a lot with the customs found in the library I must say that the ones called AC Pref 1 and Ave Film are pretty amazing. Mr. Chapman, I think you were right on it. Very subtle and refined. Thanks again
Larry

Stephen Sobel October 25th, 2007 05:08 PM

If one wanted to use just one of the custom presets listed, how easy is it to individually change each of the settings listed? How once changed, does the XH-A1 then stick with those settings w/o reverting to the factory settings?

Bill Busby October 26th, 2007 07:28 PM

Are you serious? You make your adjustments to the preset... save it... voila!

Bill

Stephen Sobel October 26th, 2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 765578)
Are you serious? You make your adjustments to the preset... save it... voila!

Bill

I don't have the XH-A1 yet - finishing up my comparisons between it and a Sony, and trying to understand how the presets work is part of my research. I think the XH-A1 is the one I will be getting (as soon as I can swing it financially).

Bill Busby October 26th, 2007 07:44 PM

Stephen, I suppose my point was, although indirect... what would be the purpose of a "preset" if it wasn't meant or possible to be saved? Don't all presets work like this no matter what the application is?

Good luck on your eventual purchase :)
Bill

Stephen Sobel October 26th, 2007 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Busby (Post 765585)
Stephen, I suppose my point was, although indirect... what would be the purpose of a "preset" if it wasn't meant or possible to be saved? Don't all presets work like this no matter what the application is?

Good luck on your eventual purchase :)
Bill

Your right. I should have thought that one through a bit more.

Scott Becker October 27th, 2007 10:50 PM

1950's Movie Look

Hi - This forum is fantastic! Thanks to everyone who has generously shared their knowledge and helped us newbies with the presets.

Using the presets given here, I've been using them as a base to start experimenting on my own. But I need a littke help with trying to create that lush saturated look of color films from the 1950's.

I'm shooting on the Queen Mary in Long Beach and when I want to cut to a scene that could be in the past, I could go with a sepia look, but I'd like to try using the look I've described as it matches Cunard's (the steamship line's) own publicity shots from that era.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Scott

Stephen Sobel October 29th, 2007 07:33 PM

I may have missed it, but is there a link to sample clips of the presets from the first post that are not so dark?

Jeremiah Rickert November 12th, 2007 07:03 PM

When you have the SD card in, does it cycle through the presents with the "onboard" ones first (Are there 6 of those total?) and then does it cycle through the ones on the card?

Vincent Oliver November 13th, 2007 01:39 AM

Yes, it cycles through the card and then starts all over again with the on-board settings. I haven't found a way of giving each setting a unique name, this would be a handy feature instead of seeing a set of numbers.

Dirk Bouwen November 19th, 2007 03:36 PM

Presets

I tried to read through the preset discussion, but it has become a little bit extensive.

A lot of XH A1 users are very interested in this section. Even more: it has become the reference for this subject. Not very surprising: Canon did not a very good job in providing both an true in-depth explanation in the manual and some real examples ready for application in the field!

To CH: I realize it's probably quite some work, isn't it possible to revise the preset library at the beginning of thread, and add all the preset-variants made in this forum, incl. the original spreadsheet containing all param's?

We would be grateful till the end of our XH A1 life (who knows with what Canon will come by that time ;-) )

Domenic Vellucci November 21st, 2007 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Supan (Post 720986)
Steven,
Your VividRGB preset I've noticed skin tone is slightly more on red color, can you guide me which color settings to adjust to tone down reddish skin? Thanks.

Nathan

Hey Nathan, I was just wondering if you managed to figure this out for I have not seen a reply to your post and I have the same question.

Thanks
Domenic

Peter Jefferson December 5th, 2007 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Sobel (Post 764848)
If one wanted to use just one of the custom presets listed, how easy is it to individually change each of the settings listed? How once changed, does the XH-A1 then stick with those settings w/o reverting to the factory settings?

To answer your question, you do not have to save it for it to remain in tact.

But its wise to save it to SD card when you're happy with your results.

To change the setting is a no-brainer, and you'd find more info about this if you check out the A1 manual listed as a sticky up here.

Rene Brunken December 16th, 2007 01:49 PM

sugestions needed for creating own presets

How do i start with changing presets to match my A1 with another camcorder.
At our video club we do some multicam recordings and would like to match the other cam as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Kellen Dengler December 19th, 2007 12:23 AM

B & W JECTA Issue

So I loaded up the B&WJECTA preset because I wanted to film some blacka nd white footage in HDV just to see how it looks. When I select the B&WJECTA preset the display turns to black and white but then when I exit out of the menu it goes right back to color.

What gives? Is it not going to film in B&W now? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong, probably something stupid...

Bill Busby December 19th, 2007 12:27 AM

Probably because you haven't selected that particular CP... OR you don't have CP's activated. Is CP flashing?

Bill

Chris Hurd December 19th, 2007 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellen Dengler (Post 795101)
When I select the B&WJECTA preset the display turns to black and white but then when I exit out of the menu it goes right back to color.

The problem is that you're trying to use the menu to select the active preset, and it doesn't work that way. The menu is there for creating, importing, and adjusting presets -- not for selecting them while you shoot video.

To select the active preset when shooting video, use the CP On/Off and CP Select buttons on the lower left side of the camera and refer to "Activating the Custom Preset Settings" on page 81 of the Canon XH operator's manual.

Kellen Dengler December 19th, 2007 01:00 PM

Yeah that's exactly the problem. I was trying to activate them via the menu and not the CP On/Off toggle button. I get it now. Thanks.

Kellen Dengler December 19th, 2007 02:57 PM

Also, is the first page with the 18 presets and excel sheet the most current list and chart?

I'm wondering how many presets total have been created/released by people on here.

Spencer Dickson December 31st, 2007 05:32 PM

What PRESET would give me a vibrant, yet balanced image? I don't want to spend days trying to make my own...I'll take the word of the pros. Would it be better to shoot it flat and then correct in post? I want to get the full HD glory out of the a1. Also, what is the best preset for low-light?

Chris Soucy January 21st, 2008 11:38 PM

New or variations to preset library...

I've only just started playing with these as well and was wondering if there was a major update lurking somewhere.

I was particularly impressed with Preset02 and what I have loaded as preset20 which is in fact the VividRGBK.

Interestingly the Canon pre - loaded preset 7 isn't bad, but not quite enough ooomph.

Is it me or did anyone else discover that preset 5 is, in reality, the 5296Film and preset 7 the Lowlt12 (not the other way round)?

If anyone has any major improvements to either preset2 or VividRGBK I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Yeah, yeah, I could start actually playing with these in depth myself, but when you're a colour blind as I am, you get into real trouble real quick once you start fiddling with colour values. I have to go on the overall "tone" of the picture, which is fine till someone with decent colour sight sees it and recoils in horror!

CS

Nia Robyn February 10th, 2008 03:02 AM

Hi, thanks for the preset advice it rocks!
I have been using my XhA1 for coming up to 8 months now (and am very happy with the results so far).

I will be filming a theatre production multi cam shot this week where the other cameras will be the sony Z1P, I would love to dial up a preset to match them as close as possible with my canon.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Thank you!!!

Vince Hill February 12th, 2008 04:17 PM

I probably sound very naive posting this, but do I need an SD card reader to down load the pre-sets to the SD card?
Or can I do it by connecting the camcorder to my PC?
thanks

Steve Kachocki February 12th, 2008 11:26 PM

Yes, you need some sort of device that can read the SD card

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hill (Post 825216)
I probably sound very naive posting this, but do I need an SD card reader to down load the pre-sets to the SD card?
Or can I do it by connecting the camcorder to my PC?
thanks

If you look back in this thread you will see that the reader is available at almost any electronic store, even Walmart for a very reasonable price.

I suggest you read this entire thread. It contains a ton of great information about the PRESETS and how to use them.
Regards,
Steve

Vince Hill February 13th, 2008 07:13 AM

Sorry Steve,I did read the whole thread but must have missed that
Thanks for posting a response

Steve Kachocki February 13th, 2008 11:42 PM

Just trying to help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Hill (Post 825556)
Sorry Steve,I did read the whole thread but must have missed that
Thanks for posting a response

There is so much information in here that it's easy to overlook some things. I didn't have a card reader when I got my camera and found that I could use my old HP HX4700 PDA as a card reader. I just uploaded the files to the PDA and then to the SD card.

You would think Canon would make the camera able to connect directly to a computer so we could move files and photos from the SD card. Oh, sorry, prolly off topic.

Enjoy the camera. I am trying to get my videos uploaded to Vimeo to share. So maybe soon you can see my use of VIVIDRGB, etc.

Dirk Bouwen February 28th, 2008 12:45 PM

Preset panoply

There's a lot of taste and fashion in colour settings. I'm one of the first wave XH A1 users, and no discussion: the out of the box A1 is having too flat colours.

After trying out dozens of presets, I composed myself, downloaded from this website and also from Wolfgang Winne's fxsupport website, there are only two that I retained: preset 2 'ACPREF' and t oa certain extend, preset 10 'DISJECTA' (which I already consided as a bit over the edge regarding the 'colorization').

I tried the VIVIDRGB only once, and it turns the colour balance into a completely unrealistic colour scaling: can be a nice 'oomph' in some cases, but a landscape with GREEN bushes ended up as one with BROWN bushes. The reds are on the limit of color bleeding.

The only thing I want to say is... maybe now we want to proof how good our post looks on plasma's and LCD panels, but making the reality look a bit too colorful, over some years, we may dislike this kind of approach.

Denny Kyser March 8th, 2008 12:07 AM

Preset for receptions

Anyone have a good preset for receptions, say around +6 gain for low light.

I am using VividRGB all the time and love the colors.
Thanks Steve.

Steve Kachocki March 8th, 2008 12:59 PM

What's the best practice?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirk Bouwen (Post 834716)
There's a lot of taste and fashion in colour settings. I'm one of the first wave XH A1 users, and no discussion: the out of the box A1 is having too flat colours.

After trying out dozens of presets, I composed myself, downloaded from this website and also from Wolfgang Winne's fxsupport website, there are only two that I retained: preset 2 'ACPREF' and t oa certain extend, preset 10 'DISJECTA' (which I already consided as a bit over the edge regarding the 'colorization').

I tried the VIVIDRGB only once, and it turns the colour balance into a completely unrealistic colour scaling: can be a nice 'oomph' in some cases, but a landscape with GREEN bushes ended up as one with BROWN bushes. The reds are on the limit of color bleeding.

The only thing I want to say is... maybe now we want to proof how good our post looks on plasma's and LCD panels, but making the reality look a bit too colorful, over some years, we may dislike this kind of approach.

I have played with the presets and stuck to VividRGB because of the "oomph" in the colors (then by time I am done shredding the quality in capture, they look more natural-insert lol) but last night I watched an interesting indie film, Eighteen, shot on video with what seemed to be VividRGB preset. Watching the film I noticed that the colors looked unnatural in the movie, they had too much "oomph." Perhaps this is because we are used to seeing movies shot on film that render color a bit differently.

My question is, what is the best practice? To use presets to alter the image while shooting, or to shoot the original images with VividRGB and make changes in post production?

Steven D., do you do much tweaking to the color when you are editing?

Dirk Bouwen March 9th, 2008 05:31 AM

Oomph?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kachocki (Post 839268)

My question is, what is the best practice? To use presets to alter the image while shooting, or to shoot the original images with VividRGB and make changes in post production?

Steven D., do you do much tweaking to the color when you are editing?

I personally think there are two parts in this: the standard A1 setting is not really what you want due to his 'too neutral' nature. To achieve some kind of 'natural standard', you can maintain throughout your workprocess you need to develop/use some kind of preset (from this excellent source?).

On the other hand, let your camera decide how your final post will look like, with the exaggerations of the VIVIDRGB, doesn't look a good idea unless you really know what you're doing. If it really goes wrong, not a lot can help you anymore to get this back on the track in the editing process (my brown bushes will never become green anymore...)

As I'm also thinking, a lot of the high contrast fujichrome-alike colours are just a fashion phenomenon. It has al to do with the plasma/TFT hype to set deeper and deeper colours and contrasts.

Over five years, we might end up with saying "hey guys, look what we were doing in those days" at this type of footage. Again, you won't be able to change this back to a more neutral approach.

So adopt colours in post yes, but this is not an easy, and tedious process.

At the end of the day, everything is going back to find the right compromises, making your workflow as lean and mean as possible.

Annie Haycock March 9th, 2008 09:37 AM

I was happy with the orginal Canon present when I first got my A1 (compared with the XM2 it was incredible), but after reading this thread, tried a few of the presets before settling on VIVIDRGB. Then last week I was filming red squirrels in Scots Pine forest - a habitat full of reds and mid-dark greens. Everything looked a bit too reddish - so I'll have to be careful, perhaps choose another preset, next time I'm in that habitat.

Steven Dempsey March 9th, 2008 09:42 AM

I actually quit using VIVIDRGB mainly because I found it to be too red. I now use a slightly modified version of my other preset Panalook and am getting much better results, not as vibrant but skin tones are more realistic.

Jonathan Schwartz March 9th, 2008 09:47 AM

Please Post

Steven,

Any chance of posting your modified panalook preset?

Jonathan Schwartz
CA Video Productions

Steven Dempsey March 9th, 2008 09:49 AM

I'll try to get to it in the next few days....really busy right now.

John Stakes March 17th, 2008 08:55 AM

Yes I recorded a reception last week and noticed VIVIDRGB is a bit red, so I switched it up a little...didn't modify, just fiddled with some buttons : )
Can't wait to see your update Steve.

Here is the latest preset: TrueColor

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=116993

Thanks Paolo!