XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old December 6th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)

Here are eighteen downloadable Custom Preset files for the Canon XH A1 and G1 camcorders. All of these have been converted from the CP files that were submitted to our XL H1 Custom Presets Download Library by your fellow DV Info Net members; however, I haven't had a chance to compare them side by side yet (that is, the same CP files between XL and XH cams). So they might wind up getting tweaked a little, or even a lot... the main thing is, here's something to go on for now. Please be sure to submit your own Custom Preset files and help the library grow.

First, grab the Excel spreadsheet with all of the Custom Preset file info. It's called XH-CPF-20061204. Then get the eighteen .CPF files and copy them to an SD card in a folder called PRESET. Insert the card into your camera and you're good to go. The procedure for calling up the presets is detailed in your operator's manual on page 81. Updated, per Howard's post below.

Here are the Custom Preset file names and what they do:

PRESET01.CPF "FACTORY" is simply the Canon factory default settings.
PRESET02.CPF "AC PREF1" is Alister Chapman's prefered general setup.
PRESET03.CPF "AVG FILM" is designed to emulate an average film stock, best used with 24F / 25F.
PRESET04.CPF "5248FILM" is supposed to emulate Kodak 5248 film stock, best used with 24F / 25F.
PRESET05.CPF "LOWLT12" is for shooting in low light with 12db gain.
PRESET06.CPF "OPTICONT" is for optimum latitude, similar to AC PREF1.
PRESET07.CPF "5296FILM" should be like Kodak 5296 film stock, best used with 24F / 25F.
PRESET08.CPF "TERRA1" is a soft unsharpened image, shadows retain detail without looking washed out.
PRESET09.CPF "TERRA2" is like TERRA1 but sharper, with coring turned down to keep noise levels at bay.
PRESET10.CPF "DISJECTA" most resembles the colors Steven Dempsey used with his Panasonic DVX100.
PRESET11.CPF "B&WJECTA" is B&W with detail in darks without blowing out lights, no diagonal stair-stepping.
PRESET12.CPF "NOMAGENT" negates the Magenta bias that some Canon owners detect in factory settings.
PRESET13.CPF "OUTSIDEN" gives the Canon a neutral image outdoors while managing bright whites.
PRESET14.CPF "OLEGWARM" is warm and saturated and film-like when combined with Skin Detail: Middle.
PRESET15.CPF "DVXMATCH" closely matches the Panasonic DVX100 at WB of 3200K; also try Knee: Auto.
PRESET16.CPF "EOSPHOTO" is optimized for Canon EOS photo lenses; much brighter with more contrast.
PRESET17.CPF "NATURALO" closely resembles natural outdoor colors, requiring minimum correction.
PRESET18.CPF "PANALOOK" is Steven Dempsey's preffered setting which accurately emulates the DVX100.
Attached Files
File Type: xls XH-CPF-20061204.xls (24.0 KB, 11896 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET01.CPF (40 Bytes, 10581 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET02.CPF (40 Bytes, 8247 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET03.CPF (40 Bytes, 7939 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET04.CPF (40 Bytes, 7721 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET05.CPF (40 Bytes, 8102 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET06.CPF (40 Bytes, 7517 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET07.CPF (40 Bytes, 7805 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET08.CPF (40 Bytes, 7565 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET09.CPF (40 Bytes, 7470 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET10.CPF (40 Bytes, 7563 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET11.CPF (40 Bytes, 7620 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET12.CPF (40 Bytes, 7473 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET13.CPF (40 Bytes, 7618 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET14.CPF (40 Bytes, 7691 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET15.CPF (40 Bytes, 7440 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET16.CPF (40 Bytes, 8082 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET17.CPF (40 Bytes, 7859 views)
File Type: cpf PRESET18.CPF (40 Bytes, 9132 views)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:37 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

These sample pics are just a quick and dirty set that I made up just to put something up here quickly... the subject is a test photo from DSC Labs. What I really should do is to prepare some live-image samples from outdoor shots, because most of these presets are tailored for outdoor use. For now however, these test images will give you a frame of reference. And they're named after their respective Custom Preset names.
Attached Thumbnails
XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-01-factory.jpg   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-02-acpref1.jpg  

XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-03-avgfilm.jpg   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-04-5248film.jpg  

XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-05-lowlt12.jpg   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-06-opticont.jpg  

XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-07-5296film.jpg   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-08-terra1.jpg  

XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-09-terra2.jpg   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-10-disjecta.jpg  

XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-11-b-wjecta.jpg   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-12-nomagent.jpg  

XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-13-outsiden.jpg   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-14-olegwarm.jpg  

XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-15-dvxmatch.jpg   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-16-eosphoto.jpg  

XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-17-naturalo.jpg   XH Custom Presets Download Library (copy)-18-panalook.jpg  

Old December 6th, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3
New Boot

Loading Chris Presets

I copied all of the presets to my memory card but could not retrieve any of them while following the instructions on page 81 of the manual. Indeed the left hand column item card to camera was greyed out.

After wrestling with this problem for an hour or so, I recreated one of the presets using the excel chart and saved it. When I looked at the card on my desktop, I realized that the camera had created a folder called PRESET and had saved my "new" preset into that folder. Under customize presets the icon card to camera was now active and my "new" preset was available. I then copied all of these presets into this PRESET folder and all of the presets were immediately recognized by the camera as described on page 81 of the manual.

I hope this helps if there is anyone else out there who didn't have any saved presets and therefore had no PRESET folder on the SD memory card into which Chris' presets could be copied. Simply create a folder with this name and copy the presets into it.

Thanks, Chris for all of these presets. I look forward to comments and suggestions by others and I will be trying these presets both indoors and outside to see what impact they have on my images.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Jay Stebbins sent me an email suggesting a link to this Canon USA Guide to Custom Presets:

http://downloads.canon.com/cpr/softw...Presets_v2.pdf

It's intended for the XL H1 and we've passed this around in our H1 forum before. I just had not thought of posting it here as well, so thanks to Jay for the tip. It's useful for A1 folks who are not familiar with the concept of custom presets. All of those A1 owners who are not already familiar with Canon HDV in general can learn a lot by browsing our XL H1 forum, because a lot of the H1 feature set is duplicated in the A1 and G1. Just be sure to come back to this forum if you have any A1 questions that come out of what you're reading on our H1 board.

Our H1 forum is located at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=101

Lots of helpful info including the Custom Presets white paper and other articles may be found on the Canon XL H1 mini-site, see this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=69784

Hope this helps,

Old December 10th, 2006, 04:00 AM   #5
Trustee

As part of the familiarisation process with my new A1, I went out today and shot some footage. As a reference for myself, I shot a few seconds of the same subject using the 18 custom presets adapted by Chris from the H1 download library. In case anyone else is interested, I thought I'd post a short clip showing the differences between the presets on video as opposed to stills.

Richard

http://www.jaegercat.com/~richard/CustomPresets.wmv
Old January 31st, 2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Trustee

I need to remove this file because the downloads are using up most of the bandwidth on my wife's server space. Will try to find an alternative if it is still of interest.

Richard
Old February 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM   #7
Major Player

Richard,
Chris Hurd has a server space to upload clips,
Please email to Chris, he'll give provide you with details, as to where FTP files.
Best regards, Oleg Kalyan.
Old February 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan
Chris Hurd has a server space to upload clips
Yes indeed, plenty of server space here at DV Info Net. I'll have Richard's clip online shortly...

Old February 5th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #9
Major Player

Chris, the word obstreperous has far too much of a perjorative conatation to describe your gentle enforcement of Corinthian values here at dvi :-)

I've spent now about 2 hours sitting with the A1 tethered to a Dell 2407FPW monitor (via component in) checking out the presets. This is an efficient way to tweak presets as the results are immediately visible, and the differences between presets a lot more dramatic than the camera LCD would suggest. There is at least one of the presets in the collection with NR enabled and this was immediately noticeable along with some detail loss in this preset. The fact that you can toggle shooting data off/on the external display is a nice little feature on the A1.
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Dennis (apologies for asking a question outside the purview of this thread),
I am desperately trying to find a monitor suitable for exactly the use you describe, but I see that the Dell is only PC compatible. Do you know of a similar one that is mac compatible?
Old February 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM   #11
Major Player

Larry, I'm sure one of the mods will move this over to the monitoring thread, but basically that 2407 monitor will work just fine on your Mac using the DVI standard input.
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks Dennis. Much appreciated.
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Chris, just curious - why are all the pictures you posted in this thread so dark?
Old February 9th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #14
Tourist

Great Stuff!

These custom presets are just the type of support I want from a forum- many thanks. I am new to the A1 and this is a great way to really learn about all the parameters in a practical way.
Chris- I really would like to see Richard's video. Any news on that?
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:55 PM   #15
New Boot

I'm in the dark on this

Gang,
I'm a bit confused by the sample photos. All seem a shade on the dark side. Is this due to the smaller colour gamut of video?

As I see it, the images should look more like:
http://dsclabs-ca.intelex.ca/store.php?category_id=14

Cheers Dave
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders