20/40 Watt Bulbs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old January 15th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

20/40 Watt Bulbs

Hello there...

Does anyone here think 20 watt bulbs for a camera light are bright enough to use for a wedding or should buy some 40 watt ones?
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I use the Sony camera top light with two bulbs. You can burn one, or both at the same time. I use each setting at various times. For wedding you shouldn't be restricted to using one or the other. You can't do interviews with a 40 watts burning, even with a diffuser that is too much.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Ok, but is a 20 watt bulb good enough for just general shooting in a reception hall?
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It would work much of the time, but there would most definitely be times you would want more, especially if you cannot get close to the action. During dancing it will likely not be enough often times. But it can also depend on your camera technique and editing style.

Go ahead and use 20 watts, you'll get by, but you may become dissatisfied and understand that being restricted to 20 watts is too limiting.

At least with 20 watts you'll have something. Just start from there and try it out.

Keep in mind even with 20 watts you'll want a diffuser for interviews, or at least you should.
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I see, good to know.

Now I have a very stupid and embarrassing question. The light I have requires a lead acid battery, which I have no experience using before. The battery is of course huge and there is no place to attach it to the camera. I assume that I have to strap it around my waist and plug it in from there, right?

Like I said very embarrassing question and sorry for asking.

Thanks
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Daniel, when you are asking a question like this it is not necessary to call it stupid. You can just ask it straight out, and we'll know you just don't have experience with it.

But yes, all you can do is strap it on. I don't know where you got your battery, but if you buy the Bescor batteries, for example, they come with a pouch and shoulder strap or waist strap which you choose. Go to Bescor.com and look through their catalog and you'll see what I mean. Their site is weird, and many people actually buy from b and h, which is another place you can see photos. Go to b&h photo/video and do a search for Bescor batteries and you'll see more info.
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I bought it at B&H yesterday. Such a confusing store. Anyway... It came with the strap for the waist. I can just see the cable causing a lot of problems and getting in the way. I really should of looked closer when buying the light.
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak View Post
The light I have requires a lead acid battery...
Actually it doesn't "require" it. All you need is a 12v power source. Do yourself a favor & at least look into something like NP-1 style NiMh or LIon batteries and an adapter that can slip into a pouch. Much much less weight plus much longer run times than any lead acid getup. B&H has these available.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
All you need is a 12v power source. Do yourself a favor & at least look into something like NP-1 style NiMh or LIon batteries and an adapter that can slip into a pouch.
Can you possibly recommend one? As you can tell batteries are not exactly my strong point.
Old January 15th, 2009, 11:09 PM   #10
Major Player

Frezzolini | 9579 18" 4-pin XLR Female to NP-1 - | 96710
Switronix | NP-L60 Li-Ion Chemistry NP-1 Style Battery | NP-L60
Switronix | NP-50 NiMH NP-1 Style Battery | NP-50 | B&H Photo
IDX | JL-2P 2-Channel Fast Charger/Power Supply | JL-2PLUS | B&H

You'll have to ask B&H regarding what they recommend regarding a pouch to place the adapter in. I think Frezzi makes one but never saw it on the B&H site.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions. They seem a bit out of my budget at this point, so i think I will just stick with the lead acid battery at this point.
Old January 16th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #12
Inner Circle

You might see if you can return the battery and exchange it for one with a shoulder strap. I personally find them too heavy for wearing around the waist, and they are easier to take off and put back on that way.

Otherwise, you could live with the waist strap, its just heavy.
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #13
Regular Crew

PAG 6 Light and Battery

I use the PAG 6 system which uses NiCad batteries. Normally I use a 20W bulb and that would get me through a few hours. I had tried a 30W to get more light and while it did give me the extra kick I needed I burned through the battery much faster. Make sure you have a spare or two if you up the wattage.
Jim Bucciferro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #14
New Boot

I Use 50Watt Bulb

I use a 50 watt bulb in a Smith/Victor 950K Light (goes up to 100watt bulbs) with a 4 Pin XLR Cable to a Lead Acid battery on my waist. Now this is by far the economical approach to wedding lighting, and probably sub-standard by most people. I've just been using it so long and don't feel like shelling out more dough right now. I have times when I use all 50watts if I have to shoot from the other side of a stupid dark reception. The rest of the time, I combat the brightness with an NRG light dimmer on my belt. This combo works great, you just have to watch your color temps as they get warmer the lower you dim your light. Also slinging that 6lbs battery on your butt can suck. I keep saying this year will be my last doing weddings, which is partly why I don't get something lighter and way more expensive.

On a positive note, this combo, the battery will go all night, never gets memory, and is stupid cheap to buy ($100 for a good Cool-Lux) but it weighs almost 6lbs.

For other less light needed situations, I just throw the old Canon 10watt light on.

Last edited by Benjamin Steeples; January 17th, 2009 at 10:26 PM. Reason: update
Benjamin Steeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:45 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I am looking for the 40 watt bulb for my light but B&H doesn't sell it. Why would they sell a light that they advertise as using both 20 and 40 watt bulbs, but then only sell the 20? Can I just use a 30 or 35 watt one instead even though the manufacturer says the light is for 20 and 40 watt ones?
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders