is the Canon XHA1 still a good camera? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old December 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: is the Canon XHA1 still a good camera?

My camera is on order but I don't have it yet so don't know yet how bad it is.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:21 AM   #17
Major Player

Just curious, I see you're in Belgium, do you speak French or Dutch?
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
The era of tape based cameras has passed. Modern cameras are solid state.
Les,

I don't know if I actually agree with you. A large number of videographers still use their tape based camera given how reliable tape has proven to be. Now the question as to the XHA1 still being a good camera, well that is very subjective. I think that the answer is dependent on two things.

1. What are the expectations of your client?
2. What are you filming

I think that when using this camera to film in a controlled setting or outdoors in a well lit setting, the camera is more than fine. Even if you want to shoot a wedding as I believe the author of this post is wanting to do, this camera is fine; just take a look at all of the videos on Vimeo. Most of the time the biggest problem is the person who is using the camera and doesn't truly now how to maximize the cameras capabilities. The other big problem are the people who like me read a lot of what the pros say on this site and other that at the end of the day is very helpful but irrelevant as it relates to the expectations of my clients. Now that being said, I want to shoot with the best regardless but what really is the best? Can anyone really answer this question definitively? My guess is no because every camera just like the XHA1 has its pros and cons.

Good luck with the camera.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:30 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I also have a couple of XH-A1S cameras that I still use for all my work these days... which is 99% stage shows , plays . etc.

Once you master the camera, it can produce some INCREDIBLE images.... but like others have said learn to play within its low light abilities and you will NOT be disappointed.

I still prefer tape , its reliable, cheap , and available.... although I have to admit that there is the thought in the back of my mind that one day it will be unavailable.... (hope thats not for a few years more) .

Often I have looked around for a possible replacement, and the closest I can come is the new JVC HM600.

Its only a hobby for me, so for now the two I have , (and I still use my XL2 sometimes) work fine for what I do.
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #20
Major Player

Dave,

I have a similar setup in comparison to what you have. Just curious, do you find your XLH1A has superior footage to your XHA1s. I actually have the older XLH1 and this camera is phenomenal; even in low light.
Old December 30th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Funny you ask that Maurice.... I purchased my XL-H1A first and then a couple years later the XH-A1S. While I have not compared the two side by side, I have to say that I suspect my XL-H1A does a little better job imagewise... however this may all be in my head as the two cameras are supposedly the same on the inside...
Now I also have the optional EXPENSIVE 6x wide lens for my XL-H1A and when I use that , yes it looks a LOT nicer... I must say that lens might be one of the best I have ever used ..... it literally is sharp as a a tack!
Old December 30th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Secrest View Post
Just curious, I see you're in Belgium, do you speak French or Dutch?
Although speaking French in my country is very beneficial if you are looking for a job I unfortunately can't speak or understand it so Dutch (or Flemish) is my native language, I also live in the Flemish part of Belgium which is mainly Dutch. I do however understand German very well and speak it a bit but that's because I don't live that far from the German border.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 11:19 PM   #23
Major Player

Dave,

Its my understand that while the two cameras have the same sensor, there are other technological advances in the XLH1/XLH1A/XLH1S that allow the camera to have a better picture. Its interesting what you say about the 6x lens. I have been looking at this lens hoping that the price would come down soon. Now that I've gotten your hands on review, I will seriously consider purchasing this lens. I just didn't want to buy the camera if I'm going to buy a new camera. I was considering the XF300 to capture along side the 5D Mark III and the XLH1 but now Canon has come out with the EOS Cinema cameras. I actually wonder if anyone has done any comparison with the Canon XLH series camera mounted with the 6X along side some of the newer cameras to gage the picture quality. I'm sure that we can all agree that in low light the camera would be inferior but what about in a controlled setting?
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:01 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi Maurice.... if you purchase a 6x wide for your H1 you will NOT be disappointed, I too thought a couple times before I added it to my cart when I purchased my XL-H1A from B&H a couple years back.... soon as I put it on the camera and shot some test footage I knew that I made the right choice.... I have used it a couple times and both times been pleased with the results...

You might try looking around for a used one... although I suspect they might be rare?

Happy New Year all!
Old January 10th, 2013, 08:35 PM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
It's a tape based camera. Check to see if you can buy enough tapes to last you. Tape mechanisms wear down and need service. At some point, Canon will no longer service that camera. The era of tape based cameras has passed. Modern cameras are solid state. Panasonic and JVC have a bunch of nice modern 3-chip cameras to choose from.
I own the XL1 and from there recently bought the XH-A1. I've had the XL1 since 1998, and I used it solely up until 2 years ago. It's still going strong, without issues with tape mechanisms or other repairs, other than cleaning the heads. It's not as brittle as some seem to think it is, and there's plenty of mini-dv tapes out there still, so you won't find yourself running out any time soon. The XHA1 is a fine tool, too. I have never had anyone ask me for a BlueRay version of any of the games myself, but your use may be different. I do sports (soccer, football, basketball, etc.).

My son has the Panasonic AG-HMC150 and AG-HMC80 and they both use SD cards. When you transfer it all on to DVD, I see no difference between any of it. If you find an XHA1 that's has low usage, and priced just right, then get it.
Manny Felarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barnes View Post
Hi Maurice.... if you purchase a 6x wide for your H1 you will NOT be disappointed, I too thought a couple times before I added it to my cart when I purchased my XL-H1A from B&H a couple years back.... soon as I put it on the camera and shot some test footage I knew that I made the right choice.... I have used it a couple times and both times been pleased with the results...

You might try looking around for a used one... although I suspect they might be rare?

Happy New Year all!
I can second this. Having the the 6x Wide for my XL H1S has really been great. Its really sharp and gives a great wide field of view for shooting in tight quarters. Also little to no CA as well. Combined with shooting with the Nanoflash with high bitrates, it gives my camera still many years of life left.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Covington View Post
Dave,

Its my understand that while the two cameras have the same sensor, there are other technological advances in the XLH1/XLH1A/XLH1S that allow the camera to have a better picture. Its interesting what you say about the 6x lens. I have been looking at this lens hoping that the price would come down soon. Now that I've gotten your hands on review, I will seriously consider purchasing this lens. I just didn't want to buy the camera if I'm going to buy a new camera. I was considering the XF300 to capture along side the 5D Mark III and the XLH1 but now Canon has come out with the EOS Cinema cameras. I actually wonder if anyone has done any comparison with the Canon XLH series camera mounted with the 6X along side some of the newer cameras to gage the picture quality. I'm sure that we can all agree that in low light the camera would be inferior but what about in a controlled setting?
Though I love my XLH1S/6x Wide Angle/Nanoflash combo and the picture quality is really top notch, the Cinema EOS line is still in another league. I've been doing a lot of shooting with the C300 and just the sheer amount of dynamic range and extremely clean picture just make that system shine in a whole other light.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #28
Regular Crew

So Anthony, did you get the camera?
Rule #1: Don't sweat the small stuff. Rule #2: It's ALL small stuff!
Terry Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #29
Trustee

I even used to use the Canon XL HD 6X zoom lens on my old XL2 and it was a huge improvement over the XL 3X lens. The 6X lens was definitely the top of the hill for the XL line of cameras and it was such a pity that the XL-H1/s/a line of exchangeable lens camcorders eventually came to a dead-end.
Old January 18th, 2013, 06:59 AM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
...pity that the XL-H1/s/a line of exchangeable lens camcorders eventually came to a dead-end.
Probably killed by a combination of wide zoom range fixed lenses with decent wide FOV on moderate cost camcorders coupled with DSLRs with their extensive range of lens options.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders